Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Here are the numbers you need to know about the biggest cryptocurrency.
The first digital currency and the largest to this day, Bitcoin makes up 60% of the total value of the biggest 250 cryptocurrency coins as of 19 March 2021.
Bitcoin’s founding is the stuff of legend: it was created in 2009 by the alias Satoshi Nakamoto, who had the idea that money shouldn’t be controlled exclusively by a centralized government or agency.
Since then, Bitcoin has smashed all records — notably in December 2017 when it reached more than US$19,000 per coin. It has simply changed the way we think about money.
Who uses Bitcoin?
- Women comprise 12.28% of those in the Bitcoin community.
- A 2015 CoinDesk survey revealed that more than 90% of Bitcoin users are male.
- The CoinDesk survey also found that 60% of Bitcoin owners are under 35 years old, and 65.8% identify as white, followed closely by those who identify as Asian.
- Of bitcoin users, most are 25 to 34 years old (46.32%), followed by those aged 35 to 44 (26.76%).
- The most popular fiat currencies to change into Bitcoin are the US dollar and the Japanese yen.
How popular is Bitcoin?
- In the last three months of 2019, each day saw an average 310,507 confirmed Bitcoin transactions.
- More than 1.2 million Redditors subscribe to the r/Bitcoin community.
- In one day — on 7 December 2017 — there were 155.6K tweets about Bitcoin. Interest on Twitter has been dwindling, with only 15.19K Bitcoin tweets recorded on 10 December 2019.
More guides on Finder
Finder’s Bitcoin Predictions Report: December 2020
We asked 47 experts for their cryptocurrency price predictions and took a deep dive into the Bitcoin price rally.
Finder’s 2021 Bitcoin Predictions Report
Bitcoin is set to crack the $100,000 mark at some point in 2021, according to the predictions of 35 experts in Finder’s cryptocurrency forecast report.
Canadian mortgage statistics
Discover average mortgage sizes around Canada and much more with our comprehensive guide to mortgage statistics.
Black Friday Statistics 2020
Black Friday moves online this year and Canadians are expecting deeper discounts than ever before. Check out how we compare globally in our search for the best sales.
Finder Cryptocurrency Predictions Report: October 2020
We asked 30 panelists for their cryptocurrency price predictions, the outlook for DeFi and how long they think high returns on yield farming might last.
Business loan statistics
The pandemic has been a real challenge for Canadian business owners and new research shows more than 1 in 10 Canadians plan to take out a business loan in 2021 as a result.
Bitcoin vs gold: What should you know before buying?
How does Bitcoin compare to gold? Here we compare scarcity, practical applications and the culture of value that surrounds each.
BC Bitcoin cryptocurrency broker – review
A review of BC Bitcoin that covers key features, pros and cons as well as steps to getting started.
Sky-high prices at duty free
While we might think of airports as shopping havens, some items can be up to 177% more expensive than local retail prices.
Bitcoin vs EOS: A feature by feature breakdown
How do EOS and bitcoin compare to one another? Find out in this guide to the similarities and differences of these two popular cryptos.
Ask an Expert
You must be logged in to post a comment.