Do you need some extra cash but have a bad credit score? There are options available to you.
Having a bad credit score can seriously affect your financial options. If you have a fair to poor credit score, which is anything typically under 650, trying to find a loan that you will be approved for can be a difficult task. Minimum credit score requirements can put traditional loans from banks out of your reach, but there are other options available to you. Short term loans for people with bad credit might be what you are looking for.
Cash Money Payday Loan
- Minimum loan amount: $50
- Maximum loan amount: $1,500
- Loan term: 12-14 days. Vary by province
- Turnaround time: Within 2 hours with INTERAC e-Transfer® if approved
- Key requirements: Be 18+ years old, provide proof of recurring income
How can I get a loan with bad credit?
Short term lenders are more concerned with your ability to repay your loan than with your credit history. Applying for a short term loan is a simple process that requires you to either go online to a lender website or visit a branch location near you. You will fill out a simple application form, and once you’re approved, you will have your funds in as little as one business day.
While applying is simple, you should keep the following factors in mind to save yourself time and money:
- Compare your options. There are quite a few options available so it’s important to compare them and find the one that best fits your needs. You’ll want to look at the loan amount, repayment terms and the total cost in order to find a loan that fits what you are looking for.
- Review the eligibility criteria. While these lenders do accept applicants with bad credit, they still have requirements that need to be met. Check the minimum age, income and residency requirements to avoid being rejected.
- Only apply for the amount you can afford. Although lenders can’t offer you more than you can pay for, the terms may still be difficult for you to meet if the repayment period is short. You should only take out a loan for an amount which you can manage to pay back. Find a loan that works with your budget or else you may get caught in a vicious cycle of debt.
- Budget to cover your payments. When you’re approved for a loan, your repayments will generally start on your next payday. Make sure that you have enough money set aside from your upcoming pay cheque to cover your loan.
Enquire for loans if you have bad credit
Here are some loan providers that you can apply to. Note that the maximum loan amount is based on the lender’s maximum amount and will vary based on your province of residence. Check the websites of any lenders you’re interested in to confirm they operate in your province.
It can be expensive to borrow small amounts of money and borrowing may not solve your money problems.
Check your options before you borrow:
- For information about other options for managing bills and debts, call 1-866-398-5999 from anywhere in Canada to talk to a credit counsellor from Credit Counselling Canada.
- Talk to your electricity, gas, phone or water provider to see if you can work out a payment plan
- Speak with creditors about extending the due date of your payment.
- Consider a small personal loan from a bank or credit union. You may qualify for a loan with lower interest rates than a payday loan.
- Pay with your credit card with credit available to cover your emergency or payment. This is not a long term solution, rather an alternative to a short term loan with higher rates.
- The Financial Consumer Agency of Canada website shows you how small amount loans work and suggests other options that may help you.
What are the benefits and drawbacks of a bad credit payday loan?
Here are the pros and cons of taking out a payday loan when you have bad credit:
- Easy online application. You can compare lenders online and submit your application within minutes. There’s no need to visit a physical branch in person or fax copies of your pay cheque in.
- Quick turnaround time. When you apply online, you can have your loan deposited into your bank account in as little as one business day.
- Disreputable lenders. Not all lenders follow provincial or territorial laws and regulations. Check to make sure yours is licensed and isn’t a scam. Always choose a reputable company that has positive feedback from real customers.
- Short repayment terms. Payday loans are known for being costly because of their quick repayment schedule. Make sure you can comfortably cover your payments with your next pay cheque before you apply.
Amanda's emergency car repair
Amanda’s car broke down on her way to work. She took the morning off to visit the mechanic, who estimated her repair costs at $250. As a shift worker, she had already missed out on that morning’s pay and her pay cheque wasn’t due to come until the following week.
She needed her car repaired to get to work, but with her low credit score, she wasn’t eligible for a personal loan.
Instead, Amanda looked at how much a bad credit payday loan would cost her. There was room in her budget for the high fees and, since she was going to be paid soon, Amanda knew she could afford it. By the next day, she had enough to pay for the repairs and was able to take on an extra shift at work to make up the difference.
What other options do I have for a loan?
Depending on what you need the loan for and how much money you want to borrow, there are other loan options available to those with fair to poor credit:
- Auto title loan. If you have a car, you could get an auto title loan. This type of loan is secured against the title, which in this case would be your car, so you can get a lower rate while still being able to drive your vehicle as you repay the loan.
- Installment loan. These loans are similar to short term loans, but they are repaid in installments over a longer period of time. These loans could be an option for you if you need a longer time period to pay back your loan, since payday loans don’t offer long payback periods.
How to apply
Once you find a lender, make sure you meet the eligibility requirements for the loan. These may vary between provinces and providers, however they tend to include:
- Be at least 18 years old, or the age of majority in your province or territory
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Have proof of a steady source of income
You will typically need to have the following information on hand when applying for a loan:
- A valid form of ID
- Your contact details
- Proof of income
- Your bank account details
If your credit is below 650, which is considered fair to poor, you can consider a bad credit payday loan. Before you settle for a loan, always take time to compare your options and view the eligibility requirements before you submit your application.
Payday loans are available in all provinces and territories across Canada. You should be aware that payday loans are regulated by individual provinces, which means costs and fees can vary. Ensure that any lender you choose abides by the laws of the place you live.
At the time of writing in January 2019, Newfoundland and Labrador, the Yukon, Nunavut and the Northwest Territories do not have legislation regulating payday loans at the provincial or territorial level. Payday loans are regulated in these provinces and territories at the federal level only.