TD ePremium Savings Account Review
Earn a high interest rate on your savings when you hold over $10,000 in this fee-free savings account.
The TD ePremium Savings Account lets you earn a 0.1% return in interest on balances over $10,000. It also comes with unlimited free transfers to other TD deposit accounts so that it’s easy for you to move your money around. Find out more about how you can qualify for this account and sign up today to start earning interest on your savings.
The TD ePremium Savings Account is a high interest savings account that lets you earn interest on balances higher than $10,000. Unfortunately, you won’t earn interest on any of your money if your balance dips below that number. You can send unlimited free transfers to your other TD bank accounts, but other types of transactions come with a hefty $5 fee. This account is best for high earners and those looking to earn interest on large deposits.
How does this account work?
The TD ePremium Savings Account is typically added on to a TD chequing account. It’s a no-fee account that lets you earn interest on deposits over $10,000. This account also discourages withdrawals and charges a fee of $5 for debits. That said, you can transfer money out of this account to your other TD accounts for free.
While the TD ePremium Savings Account might offer a decent return on interest, it’s important to note that it won’t be much use to you if you regularly dip into your savings or can’t keep a $10,000 balance consistently. This account also offers a lower return on interest than many other high-interest savings accounts that don’t require you to keep a minimum balance (such as those on offer from several online banks).
What are the benefits of the TD ePremium Savings Account?
The TD ePremium Savings Account comes with the following benefits:
- No monthly fees. You won’t be required to pay a monthly fee to use this account.
- Earn interest on your savings. You’ll earn 0.1% interest on any savings over $10,000.
- No minimum deposits. You won’t need to worry about keeping a minimum balance in your account to keep it active.
- Unlimited transfers to other TD accounts. You can send money to your other TD accounts as much as you want at no extra cost.
- Automated savings. You can set up automatic withdrawals from your other TD accounts to feed regular deposits into your TD ePremium Savings Account.
- Easy mobile banking. It’s easy to sign up for TD’s mobile app to send money and manage your transactions on the go.
What should I look out for?
There are a handful of drawbacks that you should keep an eye out for with this account:
- No interest below $10,000. You won’t earn interest on any amount below $10,000, and this applies even if your account is $1 short.
- Transaction fees. You won’t get any free debits (except internal transfers) with this account, which means you’ll pay $5 every time that you dip into your savings.
- ATM fees. You’ll pay an additional charge of $2 to withdraw money at non-TD ATMs (plus $3 from US/Mexico ATMs and $5 from international ATMs).
- Very few additional benefits. This account doesn’t come with extras such as unlimited free withdrawals or credit card rebates.
Compare TD with other savings accounts
How do I open a TD ePremium Savings Account?
You can follow these steps to sign up for a TD ePremium Savings Account:
- Visit TD’s main website and hover over the “Products” tab at the top of the page.
- Select “Bank accounts” from the dropdown list and then select “Savings accounts” from the page that populates.
- When the next page loads, you can select the TD ePremium Savings Account and click “Open account”.
- Enter your personal information such as your full name, date of birth, Social Insurance Number, employment information and email address.
- Double-check your information and click submit.
To apply for a TD ePremium Savings Account, you need to meet the following criteria:
- Be a Canadian citizen or resident who is at least 18 years old (19 in some provinces)
- Be opening a sole account in your name
Required documents and information
- Your name, residential status and contact information
- Your Social Insurance Number (optional) and date of birth
- Your email address and phone number
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?
You can easily transfer between your TD accounts to send and receive funds. For example, you can send money from your TD chequing to your TD ePremium Savings Account, and vice versa. You won’t be able to withdraw money in other ways without incurring a $5 fee every time.
To deposit funds, you can cash a cheque or deposit cash into your savings account by visiting a TD branch. You can also carry out a number of transactions and move your money around using the TD mobile app.
How can I get in touch with customer service?
You’ll be able to contact TD through a number of channels:
- By phone. Call in to speak to a TD customer service agent over the phone.
- In person. Visit a TD branch to get assistance with your account in person.
- By mail. Send mail to TD headquarters in Toronto or to a local branch if this makes more sense.
- By email. Send a secure message through your online banking or email TD’s customer support inbox.