Tangerine Visa Debit Card Review
Get unlimited free transactions, make online and international purchases and pay no monthly fee with Tangerine’s hybrid Visa Debit Card.To sign up for the Tangerine Visa Debit Card, you’ll need to open a Tangerine No-Fee Daily Chequing Account. Get 2.1% interest for 5 months when you open your first savings and chequing accounts.
The Tangerine Visa Debit Card is a hybrid, offering a debit card with free unlimited transactions and the ability to safely shop online and make purchases while you’re abroad just like a credit card. There’s no monthly fee and you don’t have to worry about steep interest rates and going into debt because you’re using cash directly from your chequing account. Find out more about whether this card is a good fit for you.
- This Tangerine Visa Debit Card comes with no monthly fee and unlimited free transactions.
- The Visa Debit hybrid means you can safely shop online and use your card while you’re abroad wherever Visa Debit is accepted using cash from your chequing account instead of a credit card.
- Pay attention to the additional charges that might crop up, such as NSF fees and charges for using ATMs that aren’t part of the Scotiabank network.
The Tangerine Visa Debit Card is a great option if you’d like to use your debit card for online shopping and while you’re travelling abroad. It comes with no monthly fee and unlimited transactions so you can swipe, tap, pay bills and send Interac e-Transfers without any additional fees. It’s also a useful tool for anyone who can’t qualify for a credit card or prefers to spend with the cash from their chequing account.
The Tangerine Visa Debit Card is a hybrid that comes with plenty of useful perks. The full list of benefits includes:
- It can be used online in lieu of a credit card. With this hybrid card, you can safely shop online using cash from your chequing account instead of a credit card. More than 1.5 million online merchants accept Visa in Canada.
- Borderless payments. You can use your debit card while you’re abroad and for international online purchases at any retailers that accept Visa.
- Protection from fraudulent purchases. Debit purchases are protected with the Interac Zero Liability policy and the Visa Zero Liability policy so you won’t have to pay for unauthorized transactions made from your account.
- Unlimited daily transactions. Use your card to make in-store purchases, pay bills and shop online without any extra fees.
- Free withdrawals. Free withdrawals from 3,500 ATMs across Canada on the Scotiabank network and 44,000 ATMs worldwide.
You’ll also like
The Visa Debit Card comes with the Tangerine No-Fee Daily Chequing Account, which is chock-full of benefits, including:
- No monthly fee. Banking with this account is free.
- Collect interest. Earn up to 0.1% interest on the balance you hold in your account.
- Free Interac e-Transfers. Avoid paying fees for sending money to family and friends using unlimited Interac e-Transfers and Tangerine Email Money Transfers.
- Free mobile cheque deposit. Deposit cheques into your account with your smartphone and avoid making the trip to a branch.
- Free cheques. Your first book of 50 cheques is free as part of your welcome package. Subsequent chequebooks can be ordered online for $50.
- Free bank drafts. Order a bank draft online and have it delivered to your address or the closest Tangerine Café.
- Overdraft protection. Ask about adding overdraft protection to your account to avoid non-sufficient funds (NSF) fees if you overspend on your account.
- Special promotions. Take advantage of seasonal incentives or a welcome bonus for signing up.
What to watch out for with a Tangerine Chequing Account
The Tangerine Visa Debit Card is convenient, but keep these potential drawbacks in mind:
- Foreign currency conversion fee. If you’re making international purchases, 2.5% is added to the exchange rate and is reflected in the converted Canadian dollar amount of the transaction.
- Charges for other ATM withdrawals. You’ll have to pay a small fee of $1.50 for any cash withdrawals you make at ATMs that are not part of the Scotiabank network. If you use your card for withdrawals abroad, the fee jumps to $3.
- Only one free replacement card. You get one free replacement card per year but if you lose your card again, you're on the hook to pay $15 for each new card thereafter.
- Hefty NSF fees. If you overdraw on your account, you’ll be charged a fee of $45 for non-sufficient funds.
- No in-person service. Most of your banking is done online, unless you can visit a Tangerine Café in Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary or Montreal. Unlike other major Canadian banks, Tangerine doesn’t have bricks-and-mortar locations across the country.
- Inactivity charges. If you don’t use your account for a year, you’ll be charged a $10 fee.
- Overdraft fee and interest. Overdraft protection is an optional addition – it will cost you $5 per use up to a maximum of once per month and you’ll pay 19% interest.
Consider other debit cards if. . .
- You prefer to collect rewards. If you want to collect travel points or other rewards with your debit purchases, look into other accounts with perks that will better suit your needs.
- You prefer to have access to in-person service. Tangerine has cafes for in-person banking in Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary and Montreal. It’s worth checking to see if there is a branch close to you if you need in-person service.
- You want fewer charges for additional features. This debit card comes with no monthly fee but if you want free additional features, other chequing accounts may be a better fit.
What should I know before I apply for the Tangerine Visa Debit Card?
To receive a Tangerine Visa Debit Card you’ll need a Tangerine Chequing Account. To apply for the Tangerine No-Fee Daily Chequing Account, you must:
- Be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident
- Be 16 years of age or older
- Have an email account
How to get the Tangerine debit card
- Head to the Tangerine homepage website, select Products and navigate to the Chequing Account option. On the Chequing Account page, click on the Sign Me Up button. You’ll need a Tangerine No-Fee Daily Chequing Account to receive the Tangerine Visa Debit Card.
- Choose to sign up via the Tangerine app or on the website.
- Complete the application form with information including your email address, your legal name on government-issued ID, your Social Insurance Number, home address, date of birth, primary telephone number and employment information.
- Review and submit your application.
- Once your application is approved, you should receive your Tangerine Debit Card. It takes two weeks for your card to arrive in the mail.
- It’s worth noting that anyone with an existing Tangerine chequing account can make an online request to upgrade to the Visa Debit Card. You shouldn’t have to change your pre-authorized payment information when you receive your new Tangerine debit card so established bill payments won’t be interrupted.
I got the Tangerine Visa Debit Card. Now what?
- Take advantage of the special offer to earn 2.1% interest on your savings. Use the promo code EARNMORE by April 30, 2021 to sign up for your chequing account. Open your first savings and chequing account within 30 days and you’ll earn 2.1% on any cash you deposit into your savings account for 5 months. Add your payroll within the first 60 days of opening your account and you’ll earn $150.
- Use your card for day-to-day spending. Use your card for online and in-person purchases across Canada and internationally. Because your account comes with unlimited transactions, you don’t have to keep count of how often you’re swiping, tapping or sending Interac e-Transfers to family and friends. With the addition of Visa Debit, you can use your card around the world in over 200 countries.
- Get the app. Download the Tangerine app to make use of features like Cheque-In to deposit cheques online and Insights, which categorizes your spending.
The Tangerine Visa Debit Card is a great choice if you’re looking for a card that can make unlimited transactions while you’re on the go, paying bills, shopping online and while you’re travelling abroad. It comes with no monthly fee but provides you with everything you need for everyday banking – you’ll even earn interest on any cash in your account.
It’s also a good solution for any consumers who can’t qualify for a credit card or prefer to stay out of debt and spend with cash from their chequing account.
However, if you’re looking for a debit card that comes with reward perks for every dollar you spend, you may want to look into other chequing account options.