Whether you’re ready to submit your personal loan application or you’re still in the researching stage, it helps to know what you need to apply. This guide will bring you one step closer to being approved for your personal loan by preparing you for the application process. Please note that document requirements vary between lenders, so you may not need to provide all of these.
What documents do I need to get a personal loan?
The list of requirements to apply for a personal loan usually include: government-issued ID, some form of income verification, and proof of your debts and assets. We break these down for you below.
What counts as a government-issued ID?
Lenders usually require at least two forms of valid government-issued identification. These may vary between provinces and territories, but usually include:
- Driver’s licence
- Health card
It may also include supplementary documentation in the form of:
- Your birth certificate
- Social Insurance Number (SIN)
- Certificate of Citizenship
- Utility bills
How do lenders verify my income?
Almost every lender requires you to meet a minimum income requirement. When you fill out the application form, lenders will need the some basic information and details to verify your income.
- Bank statements
- Pay stubs
- Tax returns (if you’re self-employed, tax returns from the last two years may be requested)
What other financial information do lenders require?
Lenders may also require information regarding your assets, debts and liabilities. Here are some other documents you may want to have on hand:
- Current credit card and loan statements
- Additional/alternate sources of income
- An estimation of your current expenses
- A current rent or mortgage statement
How do lenders verify my employment?
Many lenders will ask for your employer name and phone number in the full application. But your pay stubs and direct deposits are usually enough to satisfy a lender’s employment verification. If needed, the lender can get in touch with your employer to verify your employment and income details. However, this is more common with mortgages than personal loans.
Compare online personal loans
Yes. A secured loan requires extra documentation so the lender can verify certain details about the asset. These details will need to be confirmed with the lender before you apply and especially before you purchase the asset. Expect to provide any of the following documents when applying for a car loan:
- Car insurance policy
- Tax invoice (if purchasing from a dealership)
- Car registration plates
- Vehicle ID (VIN) number
- How much you paid for the car
- The contact information of the seller (dealership or private seller)
3 quick tips to speed up the application process
- Know what’s needed before you start. To get everything organized, check the full list of required documents before you start your online application. When you navigate to the lender’s site, a list will usually be given to you before you begin the application.
- Scan all your documents. It’s a good idea to have an electronic copy of your important documents for other purposes as well. It provides easy access whenever you need to complete an online application and could serve as a backup in case you lose the original.
- Start now, finish later. Take advantage of the “save and complete later” function offered on most online application forms if you don’t have everything on hand. You will be given login details to come back later. This means you won’t need to re-enter any information that you’ve already provided.
By knowing what exactly what documents you’ll need, filling out your loan application can be quick and stress-free. Once you know what to expect, you can confidently compare a range of personal loans and apply without worrying about the application taking forever to complete.
More guides on Finder
Are there free Canadian government grants to pay off debt?
Find out what free resources are available to help you pay off your debt and learn about your financing options.
5 ways to finance household appliances
If you’re not looking to pay for your next household appliance in cash, here are 5 ways to get appliance financing in Canada.
Compare bad credit loans in BC
Find out where you can apply online and get approved for bad credit loans in BC.
A-Z list of store financing for electronics and household items
Browse our list of 15+ stores that offer financing for electronics and household items.
Personal loans for a credit score under 600
Compare personal loans for a credit score under 600. Apply online and get approved within 24 hours.
Get a $6,000 loan
Find out where you can take out a $6,000 loan in Canada and what you need to qualify.
Personal loans in Toronto
Compare personal loans in Toronto for good and bad credit scores.
Get an $8,000 loan
Learn how you can apply for an $8,000 loan in a few easy steps.
Alpha Loans review
Weigh the pros and cons of applying to Alpha Loans, a Quebec-based lender.
easyfinancial vs Fairstone
Compare the features of easyfinancial vs Fairstone, 2 large online lenders in Canada.