KOHO Save review
Earn high interest on your savings balance and cash back rewards on your spending with a KOHO Save account.KOHO Save works as a high interest saving account that allows you to earn up to interest on all the funds you have in your KOHO account without a minimum deposit requirement.
In this in-depth KOHO Save review, we take a look at its main features, advantages and drawbacks and what you need to open an account.
- Interest rate: up to
- Fee: $0
- Minimum balance: $0
- Automatic savings option: Daily automatic savings option via Savings Goals
- Deposit insurance: up to $100,000
What are the benefits of the KOHO Save account?
When using the KOHO Save account, users can get the following benefits:
- Cash back rewards. Unlimited instant cash back on all eligible purchases.
- Earn high interest. The annual interest rate is up to . Interest is calculated daily on your entire balance and paid monthly.
- No minimum balance or deposit. Obtain all the benefits of this account without worrying about minimum balances or deposits.
- Calculating tax is easier. Interest earnings are taxable. KOHO provides tax statements in-app for every user.
- Your money is safe. Account balances are held in a federally-regulated financial insitution.
- No additional fees. There are no account opening, money transfer or account closing fees.
- Free Interac e-Transfers. It’s free to send and receive Interac e-Transfers with this account.
- Compatible with major digital wallets. Your KOHO card is compatible with Google Pay and Apple Pay.
- English & French mobile app. There is both an English and fully translated French version of the KOHO app.
What should I look out for with KOHO Save?
Consider the following items to ensure that the KOHO Save account is right for you:
- Interest rate is different depending on your plan. The basic no-fee KOHO Easy account gives 0.5% interest. In order to earn interest on your balance, you will need to opt-in KOHO Essential plan which costs $4/month but has a 30-day free trial for you to try it out.
- In order to earn 2% interest on your balance, you must set up a direct deposit. Paycheques, disability benefits, childcare benefits and other similar direct deposits are eligible.
- Interest rate is subject to change. While this is not a promotional rate, interest rates may vary if KOHO’s service providers change or if the Bank of Canada announces an interest rate decrease or increase. Keep in mind that the 2% interest rate is not introductory, exclusive to certain users or designed to expire.
- Limited services. KOHO is not a financial institution. It is a financial services business. For this reason, many standard banking services are not available.
How do I open an account?
To apply for a KOHO Save prepaid card, you need to fill out an online application. KOHO operates entirely online, so the entire application process can be handled from the comfort of your home.
You’ll need to have the following information handy:
- Password created by you
- Full legal name
- Mobile number
- Date of birth
- Intended use for account (savings, day-to-day spending or payroll)
- SIN number (only if you want to use the tax features)
Qualifying for a KOHO Save account is pretty simple. All you need to do is meet the following criteria:
- Be the age of majority in your province or territory
- Have a valid email address
- Contact information (email address, phone number and address)
- Personal information (legal name, date of birth and occupation)
How do I deposit and withdraw money?
When you sign up with KOHO, you’ll receive a Mastercard debit card. KOHO has partnered with the Mastercard network. You can withdraw money for free from any Mastercard network ATM. It is possible to withdraw cash from other ATMs, but a $2 to $3 fee may apply. KOHO has not explicitly stated if you can deposit cash at an ATM. Use Mastercard’s ATM finder to locate an ATM near you.
You can load your KOHO debit card with cash using an Interac e-Transfer, direct deposit or Mastercard debit loading. Mastercard debit loading can be done through the KOHO app using the following steps:
- Open the KOHO app on your phone.
- Click $, then Add Funds, then Mastercard Debit.
- Enter the details of your Mastercard debit card.
- Enter how much you want to load.
- Click Add Funds.
The first load is free. Additional loads are free if the amount is greater than $500. For loads under $500, a $0.75 fee will apply.
How can I get in touch with KOHO customer service?
Contact the Canadian KOHO customer service team using one of the following methods:
- Chat in app. Use the online chat feature in the app to talk with an expert.
- Email. Send the customer service team an email at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Security contact. If you suspect fraud or security breaches on your account, send an email to email@example.com.
Expert review: Our verdict on KOHO Save
We love the high interest rate offered on KOHO Save account balances, which is way higher than what many of Canada’s biggest banks offer with traditional savings accounts. We also love KOHO’s simple, transparent fee structure and low entry requirements (no minimum balance, account opening fees or required deposits). But if you need access to a wide range of banking features, you might want to keep comparing savings accounts to find a better fit for you.