You’ve collected a decent amount of Aeroplan points and you’re ready to cash them in for a reward. But where do you start? The good news is it’s easy to redeem Aeroplan points for flights, hotel stays and a wide range of other merchandise.
In this guide, we’ll show you how to redeem Aeroplan points, how much your points are worth, and how to get the best-value rewards.
What are Aeroplan points?
Aeroplan is Air Canada’s loyalty rewards program. As a member, you can earn Aeroplan points when you swipe your Aeroplan membership card at participating businesses. You can also earn points when you fly with Air Canada or partner airlines, or when you shop online at the Aeroplan eStore.
To maximize your points-earning power, you can pair your membership with an Aeroplan credit card to rack up extra points for every dollar you spend. Keep reading to find out how to redeem Aeroplan points for flights and other rewards using your Aeroplan account.
Aeroplan has an extensive list of partners it works with to help you earn points when you make purchases in-store and online. These include the following:
- Airlines. Earn points with Air Canada, Star Alliance airlines and other partners including Olympic Air, Eurowings, Cathay Pacific and Aer Lingus.
- Hotel chains. Get a higher return on points when you stay with Aeroplan hotel partners such as Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors and Best Western.
- Car rentals. Double up your rewards when you book car rentals with Aeroplan car rental partners Budget, Avis and Payless.
- Retail. Earn points when you shop at the Aeroplan eStore with 250+ brands, including Apple, Amazon.ca, Best Buy, AliExpress, Aldo, Gap and Lego.
What can I redeem Aeroplan points for?
Ready to start spending some of your points balance? You can redeem Aeroplan points for a wide range of rewards.
Redeem Aeroplan points for flights and in-flight extras
Redeem your Aeroplan points for flights through Air Canada, with the option to use points to buy any seat on any Air Canada flight. You can also redeem points with dozens of partner airlines, including Star Alliance members such as Lufthansa and Singapore Airlines, plus pay for your travel with a combination of points and cash.
If you’re flying with Air Canada, you can even redeem Aeroplan points for a seat upgrade or extras like in-flight Wi-Fi.
Redeem Aeroplan points for other travel rewards
You can use your points to book accommodation at thousands of hotels worldwide. Partner hotel chains include Shangri-La’s Golden Circle, Coast Hotels, Wyndham, and Omni.
If you need transportation for your next vacation, you can redeem Aeroplan points to rent a car with Aeroplan partners Avis, Budget and Payless. There are over 11,000 car rental locations to choose from around the world.
You can even exchange your points for an all-inclusive vacation, resort package or cruise when you book with Air Canada vacations.
Redeem Aeroplan points for merchandise at the Aeroplan eStore
You can use your points to shop for products from hundreds of big-brand partners in the Aeroplan eStore. Partners include Amazon.ca, Marriott Bonvoy, Gap, Best Buy, Apple and many more. From health and beauty products to electronics, fashion, homeware and kids’ toys, you can shop an extensive range of merchandise.
Or if you don’t know exactly what you want, you can exchange your points for gift cards to spend on your favourite brands in-store and online. A $50 gift card will typically set you back 7,000 points. Air Canada gift cards start at 75,000 points for a $750 card.
How to redeem Aeroplan points for flights and other travel
- Log in to your account. Log in to your account on the Aeroplan home page, and hover over Book.
- Select travel category. Select your preferred travel category from the dropdown list, or click on Book and navigate to your travel category of choice (see the grey tabs in the image below).
- Select your booking preference. Choose whether you want to book your flight using cash or points using the red toggle (shown below).
- Book your travel. If you select points, you’ll be redirected to another site on Air Canada. If you select cash, you can input your travel info into the table that populates to finish the process.
Must watch: How to book flights with Aeroplan points
How to redeem Aeroplan points for merchandise at the Aeroplan eStore
- Log in to your account. Login to the Aeroplan eStore to browse electronics, clothing, appliances, sporting goods and more.
- Browse the Aeroplan rewards store. Search for the item or brand you want (including gift cards), or see what’s available under the promotions tab to grab the best deals.
- Select the items you want. Select your item to see its value in points or cash.
- Select “Buy.” Select the quantity of the item you want to purchase, choose to pay with points and click Buy to finalize your purchase.
How much are Aeroplan points worth?
Aeroplan points don’t have a set monetary value, so how much your points are worth depends on the rewards you redeem them for. Most estimates put the value of each Aeroplan point at around 1.5-2.5 cents with higher redemption rates typically applied to business class flights.
The number of points you need to fly depends on the destination, distance and fare class (economy, business, etc.). For example, a one-way Air Canada economy flight from Toronto to Vancouver requires 12,500 – 17,500 Aeroplan points. But a one-way Air Canada economy flight from Vancouver to Sydney, Australia requires 50,000 – 90,000 Aeroplan points.
What is the best way to use Aeroplan points?
You’ll generally get much better value when you redeem Aeroplan points for flights and other travel-related purchases. You’ll usually get less bang for your buck when you cash your points in for items like merchandise, gift cards and charitable donations.
If you redeem your Aeroplan points for flights, it’s worth noting that Air Canada flights use a dynamic pricing system. Flights with partner airlines have fixed prices, so you may find better value when you book with a partner airline.
Use Aeroplan’s Points Predictor Tool to get an idea of how far your points balance will get you.
How to earn more Aeroplan points
More points mean more rewards, and there are several simple things you can do to maximize your points balance:
- Get an Aeroplan credit card. Aeroplan credit cards let you earn points for every dollar you spend on your card, and sometimes come with “points multiplier” rewards. Many offer bonus points when you sign up for a card. Learn more in our guide to the best Aeroplan credit cards.
- Choose a card that meets your needs. Look for an Aeroplan credit card that’ll boost your points earnings and reward your most common spending categories, which could mean paying an annual fee. For example, if you’re a foodie, the American Express Aeroplan Reserve Card lets you earn 2X the Aeroplan points on eligible dining and food delivery purchases.
- Take advantage of Aeroplan promotions. The Promotions section of the Aeroplan eStore lists the latest special offers from partner retailers. Check it regularly to find deals to help you earn bigger rewards.
Compare Aeroplan credit cards
It’s easy to redeem Aeroplan points for flights or other rewards online. Log in to your Aeroplan account to redeem your points for flights, hotel stays and car rentals. Or check out the Aeroplan rewards store to shop for merchandise and gift cards. Compare Aeroplan credit cards to maximize your points earning power.
Frequently asked questions about how to redeem Aeroplan points
More guides on Finder
Can I earn Aeroplan points on Amazon?
Get the most bang for your Aeroplan buck when you shop with Amazon’s online store.
Do Aeroplan points expire?
Find out when your Aeroplan points expire, how to avoid it, and what you can do to get your points back if it happens.
Who are Aeroplan partners?
Find out more about Aeroplan’s diverse network of partners to get the highest return on your Aeroplan points.
Compare the best Aeroplan credit cards
Want to earn more Aeroplan points? Compare these providers of Aeroplan credit cards to get the highest return on rewards for the lowest fee.