Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to redeem Aeroplan points
Find out how to redeem Aeroplan points for flights and other rewards.
If you’ve collected a decent number of Aeroplan points and are ready to cash them in for big rewards, it’s easy to get started. Use this guide to learn more about how to redeem Aeroplan points for flights and other rewards, and how to earn more points using your membership and Aeroplan credit card. And keep reading to find out how much your points are worth and what rewards you may be able to qualify for.
What is Aeroplan?
Aeroplan is a frequent flyer program operated by Air Canada in cooperation with several partners. As a member, you can earn points when you swipe your Aeroplan card at participating businesses. You can also choose to pair your membership with an Aeroplan credit card to rack up points for every dollar you spend. Keep reading to find out how to redeem Aeroplan points for flights and other rewards using your Aeroplan account.
Aeroplan has an extensive list of partners it works with to help you earn points when you make purchases in-store and online. These include the following:
- Airlines. Earn points with Air Canada, Star Alliance airlines and other partners including Olympic Air, Eurowings, Cathay Pacific and Aer Lingus.
- Hotel chains. Get a higher return on points when you stay with Aeroplan hotel partners such as Marriott, Hilton, Wyndham and Best Western.
- Car rentals. Double up your rewards when you book car rentals with Aeroplan car rental partners, Budget or Avis.
- Retail. Earn points when you shop at the Aeroplan eStore with brands such as Gap, Apple, Amazon.ca, Home Hardware, Indigo, Lego and over a hundred more.
How much are Aeroplan points worth?
It can be difficult to say how much each individual Aeroplan point is worth because the value of each point will depend on the reward you’re redeeming it for. That said, estimates from other reputable sites note that each point is worth around 0.5 to 2.5 cents on average.
It’s helpful to note, based on this information, that you’ll get a much higher value when you redeem Aeroplan points for flights and other travel-related purchases. You’ll usually get less bang for your buck when you cash your points in for items like merchandise, gift cards and charitable donations.
How can I earn the most points?
It’s easy to maximize the number of points you can earn if you know where to start. Follow the tips outlined below to earn more points on every purchase or read our in-depth guide in earning Aeroplan points fast here.
- Find the best Aeroplan credit card. Compare your options to find the best Aeroplan credit card that will give you the highest return on points.
- Pay an annual fee for a premium card. Pay an annual fee to earn more points and get comprehensive benefits with a premium card.
- Get rewarded for targeted spending. Look for a card that lets you earn accelerated points for daily purchases like gas and groceries.
- Shop at partner stores. Spend money at partner stores to get double the points or “multiplier” points on select purchases.
- Look for special promotions. Check out the “flyer deals” at partner stores to maximize the number of points you can earn.
- Track down the best welcome offer. Search for the Aeroplan credit card that gives the biggest welcome bonus to get a lump sum of points right off the bat.
- Order additional cards. Order extra cards for your family members to use so they can help you earn points faster.
- Redeem Aeroplan points for flights. Aim to redeem Aeroplan points for flights and other travel if you want to get the most value.
How to redeem Aeroplan points
It’s easy to redeem Aeroplan points for flights, travel and merchandise using your Aeroplan account.
Flights and other travel:
- You can redeem Aeroplan points for flights or other travel by logging in to Aeroplan’s main site and hovering over “Book”. From there, you can select the category of travel you’re interested in from the dropdown list or click on “Book” and navigate to the travel you’re interested in on the page that comes up (using the grey tabs shown in the image below).
- Select whether you want to book your flight using cash or points using the red toggle (shown in the image above).
- If you select points, you’ll be redirected to another site on Air Canada while if you select cash you can input your travel information into the table that populates.
- You can redeem points for merchandise by logging in to the Aeroplan eStore to redeem your points for consumer goods like electronics, clothing, appliances and sporting goods.
- Search for the item or brand you’re interested in exchanging your points for or see what’s available under the promotions tab to grab the best deals.
- When you find the item you want to purchase and open it, you can see what it’s worth in either points or cash.
- Select the quantity of the item you want to purchase, indicate how you want to pay and then click “Buy” to finalize your purchase.
- You can also shop for gift cards in the same way if you search by brand to find the store you’re interested in.
What can I redeem Aeroplan points for?
- Flights. Redeem your Aeroplan points for flights through Air Canada or any of Aeroplan’s partner airlines.
- Travel packages. Exchange your points for an all-inclusive vacation, resort package or cruise.
- Hotel accommodation. Trade your points in for hotel stays and earn more points when you book with partner hotels like Marriott or Hilton.
- Car rentals. Use your points to rent a car with Aeroplan partners: Avis, Budget or Payless.
- Merchandise. Cash your points in for hundreds of brand-name products in Aeroplan’s online store.
- Gift cards. Exchange your points for gift cards to spend on your favourite brands in-store and online.
Compare Aeroplan credit cards
If you’re ready to redeem your Aeroplan points for flights or other rewards, it’s easy to do so through your online account or by calling in to speak to an agent. Find out how to redeem Aeroplan points and learn where you can earn the most points to get more rewards in the long run.
Frequently asked questions about how to redeem Aeroplan points
More guides on Finder
RBC Cathay Pacific Visa Platinum card review
Earn Asia Miles for every purchase you make and get 40,000 bonus miles when you sign up.
Float card review
Earn cashback, pay no FX fees and track your receipts and spending all in one place with the innovative Float business card.
Jeeves credit card review
Earn up to 4% cashback, pay no foreign transaction fees and get online rebates with this multi-currency business card.
HSBC Travel Rewards Mastercard Review
Get a decent array of travel insurance and earn accelerated rewards for travel purchases with this fee-free credit card.
HSBC Cash Rewards Mastercard review
Get a generous welcome bonus and earn accelerated cashback when you shop online with this fee-free credit card.
Walmart Rewards World Mastercard Review
Earn Walmart Rewards Dollars and get a decent welcome bonus when you sign up for this fee-free card.
Neo Card with Credit Builder review
Start rebuilding your credit score and earn cashback when you spend with this secured credit card.
Neo Secured Card review
Rebuild your credit and earn cashback with this fee-free secured credit card. Start by making a cash deposit to secure your balance.
BMO AIR MILES World Elite Business Mastercard review
Sign up for this premium business card to earn AIR MILES and get access to travel insurance and virtual health care.
BMO World Elite Business Mastercard Review
Earn BMO points on every purchase and take advantage of travel perks and virtual healthcare with this innovative business card.