Wealthsimple Save review
Get a 0.5% interest rate and keep your money liquid with this savings account.
There is no monthly fee or other hidden costs to using the Wealthsimple savings account.
Wealthsimple Save is an easy-to-use savings account with a 0.5% interest rate. There are no additional fees to use the account. The account also allows for joint ownership if you want to share it with someone else.
- Fee: $0 per month
- Minimum balance: $0
- Automatic savings option: Yes
- Deposit insurance: Your funds are insured by the Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation (CDIC) up to $100,000.
What are the benefits of the Wealthsimple savings account?
- No fees. There is no monthly fee or other hidden costs to using the Wealthsimple savings account.
- Deposit insurance. The Wealthsimple savings account is insured by the Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation (CDIC) up to $100,000.
- Automatic savings. You can set up automatic savings deposits using the Wealthsimple Overflow feature. It’s up to you how often and how much you want to automatically save.
- App option. You can easily view your Save account alongside your Invest or Trade accounts on the Wealthsimple app.
- Wealthsimple Black benefits. If your assets with Wealthsimple exceed $100,000 (between the investment and savings accounts), you are eligible for premium benefits under Wealthsimple Black. This includes lower fees on your investment account (0.4% versus 0.5%), plus provides free tax-loss harvesting services and free financial planning services.
What should I watch out for?
- Limited in-person interaction. Wealthsimple is an online brokerage, which means face-to-face interactions are limited. If you prefer in-person service, this could be frustrating.
- Transfer time. Moving money to a Wealthsimple Save account from an external account currently takes up to 3 days. Withdrawing funds only takes 1 business day.
Compare Wealthsimple Save with other savings accounts
How to apply for a Wealthsimple Save account
In order to apply, you must satisfy the eligibility criteria and provide the necessary documentation.
- Reside in Canada
- Be a Canadian citizen or hold a valid Canadian visa
- Be the age of majority in your province or territory
- Have a valid Social Insurance Number (SIN)
- Personal information, such as full name, email address, contact information and so on
- Social Insurance Number card
- T4, utility bill or Notice of Assessment to verify identity for non-registered accounts
How do I open a Wealthsimple savings account?
To open a Wealthsimple Save account, you’ll need to fill out a quick online application. Follow these steps to get started:
- Navigate to the Wealthsimple Save online application.
- Create an account by filling in your email and the password of your choice.
- Answer a few personal information questions to verify your identity and submit documents as necessary.
- Connect your Wealthsimple Save account to your bank account to make your first deposit.
How do I deposit or withdraw money?
You can deposit and withdraw money by linking an external bank account. From there, you can make contributions and withdraw money. Note that deposits to Wealthsimple Save accounts take up to 3 business days and withdrawals take up to 1 business day.
At the moment, Wealthsimple doesn’t seem to have ATMs or a physical card. Therefore withdrawing and depositing physical cash isn’t possible through the Wealthsimple Save account directly.
How do I get in touch with customer service?
Wealthsimple’s customer service team can be reached at 1-855-255-9038 between the hours of 8am and 8pm EST from Monday to Thursday and from 8am to 5:30pm EST on Fridays.
You can also submit an online request outlining the details of your concern so that an agent can get back to you.
The Wealthsimple Save account keeps your money highly liquid if you have a short-term goal or are looking to build an emergency fund. Plus, you can access the account alongside your other Wealthsimple Invest and Trade accounts. If you prefer in-person service, you might want to consider another savings account as Wealthsimple is entirely digital.