You can sign up for Travelers Car Insurance in most parts of Canada – even in provinces with mandatory government insurance.
Travelers Car Insurance review
- Online Claims
- Discounts Available
- Roadside Assistance
- Accident Forgiveness
- Available Provinces
- Alberta, Northwest Territories, Nova Scotia, Nunavut, Ontario, Yukon
Travelers offers affordable and reliable car insurance to customers across Canada. This includes mandatory insurance like third-party liability and personal accident benefits as well as extended forms of car insurance like comprehensive and collision.
Best for: Canadians looking for competitive pricing through a well known auto insurance broker.
Discounts and bundling options available
Repair satisfaction guarantee
No online quotes
Reports of poor customer service
Not available in Quebec
What is Travelers Car Insurance?
Travelers Insurance offers multiple forms of coverage for just about every type of vehicle. This includes mandatory and extended car insurance along with a handful of add-ons based on what level of protection you want.
Any insurance you get with Travelers will be underwritten by Dominion Insurance, and any claim you make will be backed by a repair satisfaction guarantee. This means you can rest assured that your car will be well taken care of if you get into an accident.
Just be aware that you won’t be able to apply for a quote online to get started. Instead, you’ll need to enter your postal code into the Travelers website to find a broker near you that sells Travelers Car Insurance directly to customers.
What types of car insurance does Travelers offer?
There are a number of different types of insurance that you may be able to qualify for by reaching out to a Travelers broker in your area:
You’ll typically need to have a mandatory level of insurance in your province, which includes the following:
- Liability insurance. Pays for vehicle damage and medical expenses for the other driver involved in an accident that’s deemed to be your fault.
- Accident benefits. Reimburses you for medical bills or time off work if you get injured in a collision.
- Uninsured driver. Gives you financial protection if you get into a collision with an uninsured or hit and run driver.
Collision or comprehensive insurance
There are a number of other forms of coverage you can take advantage of with Travelers if you want extra protection for your vehicle:
- Collision. Provides full protection for your vehicle if it gets damaged in an accident with another driver or an object (such as a tree or guardrail).
- Comprehensive. Covers the cost of damage related to theft, vandalism, fire, falling objects, lightning or impact with an animal.
Travelers Car Insurance bundles
You’ll be able to bundle your car insurance and home insurance into a package deal to save money on both policies. You may also be eligible for a number of other discounts based on a number of personal factors. These include how long you’ve been driving, what your driving record looks like, how many vehicles you want to insure and what type of car you drive.
What do customers say about Travelers Car Insurance?
Travelers Car Insurance has fairly poor reviews online, though this seems to be the case with most car insurance companies. The few positive reviews that exist indicate that you may have a good customer service experience based on where you’re located.
That said, it seems like the majority of customers reviewing the company are unhappy with its overall performance. Negative reviews are widespread and cover every type of issue from high prices and poor customer service to rate hikes and slow claims processing times.
Benefits and drawbacks of Travelers Car Insurance
- Multiple discounts. You may be able to qualify for a long list of discounts to bring the overall price of your insurance down. For example, customers who have an auto, home and additional policies with Travelers can see savings of up to 13% on their auto policy.
- Canada-wide coverage. You can sign up for Travelers Car Insurance in most parts of Canada – even in provinces with mandatory government insurance.
- Multi-vehicle insurance. You’ll be able to insure just about any type of vehicle, including cars, antique vehicles, recreational vehicles and campers.
- Repair satisfaction guarantee. Travelers claims to offer a full satisfaction guarantee to customers who need to have their vehicles repaired.
- Loss of use coverage. You may be covered for the costs of alternate transportation if your car is no longer driveable due to a covered claim (though this costs extra).
- No online quotes. You can only apply through a broker and it’s not possible to get a quote online to see how much you’ll have to pay.
- Negative reviews. There are a number of negative reviews for Travelers citing frustration over rate hikes and poor customer service.
- Limited endorsements. Travelers doesn’t list the endorsements that it offers with its policies on its website.
- Not available in Quebec. You won’t be able to take advantage of Travelers Car Insurance if you live in the province of Quebec.
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for Travelers Car Insurance coverage, you need to meet the following criteria:
- Be at least 16 years old
- Have a valid Canadian driver’s licence
- Own the vehicle you wish to insure
- Fulfill additional criteria based on which province you live in
How to apply
You can apply for Travelers Car Insurance by following these steps:
- Visit the Travelers Car Insurance website and enter your postal code to find a list of brokers near you.
- Make an appointment and provide the necessary documentation – such as a valid driver’s licence and proof of purchase for your vehicle.
- Get verified and work with Travelers to negotiate the terms of your car insurance if you meet the eligibility requirements.
How to contact Travelers Car Insurance
You’ll usually have to get in touch with Travelers Car Insurance through your broker as a first point of contact. From there, they should be able to help you with any issues you might be having with your policy. You’ll also be able to call in to get more information about how to file a claim, change your coverage or pay your bills.
Travelers Car Insurance is offered in most Canadian provinces and seems to be a reputable option to insure your vehicle. Just be aware that the company has some complaints online about poor customer service and rate hikes. It’s also important to note that you have to go into a broker location to get a quote as there’s no online application.