RSA car insurance review
Get robust coverage and flexible bundling options when you purchase car insurance with this reputable provider.
You may be able to qualify for a long list of discounts to bring the overall price of your insurance down.
RSA car insurance offers reliable car insurance in several Canadian provinces. This includes mandatory coverage such as third-party liability, accident benefits and uninsured motorist protection. It also offers extended insurance such as collision and comprehensive along with additional endorsements to round out your coverage.
Learn more about how you can sign up for RSA, and find a broker near you to get a quote for your car insurance.
What is RSA car insurance?
RSA is a reputable car insurance provider that works in a number of Canadian provinces. It offers basic and extended car insurance coverage ranging from third-party liability to all-perils coverage. The level of protection you want will typically depend on what type of vehicle you have and how much you want to spend each month.
In addition to standard insurance, RSA also offers a number of discounts and endorsements. This makes sure that you can get just about any type of coverage you want at a price you can afford. The company also includes a lifetime repair guarantee for your vehicle if you get it serviced with an authorized RSA partner.
What’s the lifetime repair guarantee?
RSA works with a network of trusted repair facilities to get your repairs done right the first time. All repairs completed at these facilities will be guaranteed for as long as you insure your vehicle with RSA. This means you’ll never have to pay for the same repair twice.
Which provinces is RSA car insurance offered in?
You’ll be able to access RSA car insurance if you live in Alberta, Ontario and the Atlantic provinces. You won’t be able to sign up in provinces that require drivers to have mandatory government-backed insurance. This means you’ll be out of luck if you live in BC, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Quebec.
What types of insurance does RSA car insurance offer?
RSA offers a number of different types of insurance through its network of brokers. These include the following:
You’ll typically need to have a mandatory level of insurance in your province, which includes the following:
- Liability insurance. Covers any costs you may incur as a result of being sued for causing an accident.
- Accident benefits. Pays for your own medical bills and those of your passengers if you get injured in an accident.
- Uninsured driver. Gives you financial protection if you get into a collision with an uninsured or hit and run driver.
Collision or comprehensive insurance
You can typically add a combination of the following coverage to add an additional layer of protection to your RSA car insurance:
- Collision. Covers the cost of vehicle repairs if you get into an accident with another vehicle or run into a stationary object (such as a tree or guardrail).
- Comprehensive. Covers the cost of damage related to theft, vandalism, fire, falling objects, lightning or impact with an animal.
RSA car insurance bundles
You may be able to bundle your car insurance with the insurance you put on your property or recreational vehicles. You may also be eligible for a number of other discounts based on a wide range of personal factors. These include how experienced of a driver you are, whether you’ve had any accidents in the past and what type of car you drive.
What do customers say about RSA car insurance?
RSA car insurance has fairly poor reviews online, though this seems to be the case with most car insurance companies. There are a handful of positive reviews that praise RSA‘s customer service and the way the company handles claims.
The rest of the reviews are negative and cover every type of issue from high prices and poor customer service to rate hikes and slow claims processing times.
Benefits and drawbacks of RSA car insurance
- Multiple discounts. You may be able to qualify for a long list of discounts to bring the overall price of your insurance down.
- Multi-vehicle insurance. You can insure just about any type of vehicle, including cars, antique vehicles, recreational vehicles and campers.
- Lifetime repair guarantee. Your vehicle repairs will be guaranteed for the lifetime of your insurance as long as you get them done at one of RSA‘s repair facilities.
- Many endorsements. You can add extra coverage to your insurance such as loss of use coverage, first accident free coverage and rental car coverage.
- Air Miles rewards. You’ll be able to register to collect Air Miles every time you make an on-time bill payment for your insurance.
- Coverage for ride sharing. You can get insured with RSA if you’re an Uber or Lyft driver and need commercial coverage.
- No online quotes. You can only apply through a broker and it’s not possible to get a quote online to see how much you’ll have to pay.
- Only available in some locations. You won’t be able to access RSA insurance if you live in BC, Saskatchewan, Manitoba or Quebec.
- Negative reviews. RSA has a number of negative reviews online about its prices, rate hikes and poor customer service.
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for RSA car insurance coverage, you’ll need to meet the following criteria:
- Be at least 16 years old
- Have a valid Canadian driver’s licence
- Own the vehicle you wish to insure
- Fulfill additional criteria based on which province you live in
How to apply
You can apply for RSA car insurance by following these steps:
- Visit the RSA car insurance website and enter your postal code to find a list of brokers near you.
- Make an appointment and provide the necessary documentation – such as a valid driver’s licence and proof of purchase for your vehicle.
- Get verified and work with RSA to negotiate the terms of your car insurance if you meet the eligibility requirements.
How to contact RSA car insurance
You’ll usually deal with any issues you have with your RSA car insurance through the broker that you sign up with. They’ll act as a third-party go-between if you need to file a claim or access your coverage. You’ll also be able to call your broker to get more information about how to change your coverage or pay your bills.
RSA car insurance offers affordable coverage to customers in certain provinces of Canada. In addition to basic coverage, it comes with a number of unique perks such as a lifetime repair guarantee and the chance to collect Air Miles when you pay your monthly premiums. One of the only downsides is that you can’t apply for a quote online, which means you’ll have to go into a broker to find out more about pricing and coverage availability in your region.