Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
CMC Markets Forex and CFD trading
Trade 10,000+ CFD products with competitive spreads across forex.
Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
What can I trade with a CMC Markets?
Your CMC Markets trading account gives you access to more than 10,000 global products, including:
- Shares. Access over 9000 global shares and ETFs in more than 20 markets around the world.
- Indices. Choose from over 90 indices products, including the Canada 60, US 30, Australia 200, UK 100 and Germany 30.
- Commodities. More than 100 commodity products available to trade.
- Forex. More than 330 currency pairs are offered to you through CMC Markets.
- Treasuries. Trade on over 45 treasuries products.
- Warrants. Invest in leading Canadian companies and other underlying assets.
- Options. These can be used to earn income, generate wealth or even hedge your position in a falling market.
- Managed funds. CMC Markets offers access to funds that cover all asset classes.
- Interest rate securities and bonds. These options offer a steady and secure form of investment.
Features of a CMC Markets trading account
- Market data. CMC Markets provides price data from markets around the world, including the Canadian, US, German, Swiss and UK markets.
- Research. CMC Markets offers a wealth of research tools and resources to help you trade. These include events and seminars, market reports, news and analysis.
- Access. Placing trades through your CMC Markets trading account can be done online, over the phone or using the CMC Markets app on iPhone, iPad or your Android device.
- Next Generation platform. CMC Markets’ Next Generation platform has been built to suit the needs of active traders. It offers advanced research and charting, unlimited free conditional orders and the ability to process orders in less than one second.
- Award-winning charts. The platform offers more than 115 technical indicators and drawing tools, 70 chart patterns and 12 chart types.
- Demo account. The free demo account allows you to practice trading before you commit to trading CFDs.
- Regulated in Canada. CMC Markets is a member of the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada and a member of the Canadian Investor Protection Fund.
What trading platforms are available?
CMC Markets offers one, award-winning platform for CFD and forex traders called the CFD Next Generation platform. This is an advanced, powerful web-based and mobile platform available on compatible iOs and Android devices. It features more than 115 technical indicators and chart types to help with your trading analysis, and a range of useful tools including the price projection tool and pattern recognition tool. You can also connect with other traders via the chart forum, an online trading community enabling you to discuss and share trading insights.
What support/information is available with a CMC Markets trading account?
If you need assistance with a particular trade or with any aspect of your CMC Markets account, it’s easy to get in touch with CMC Markets. Phone, email and live chat support are all available.
There are also plenty of educational resources which CMC Markets you can access in order to improve their trading knowledge. These include instructional articles and videos, trading guides, a blog, events run by market experts and much more, plus a free demo account.
What fees will you pay?
When you trade CFDs or forex using a CMC Markets trading account, you’ll need to consider the spread, which is the difference between the buy and the sell price. In addition, you’ll need to consider the commission charge that applies to your trades. The minimum spread applied to a forex CFD is 0.7 points, with margins from 0.20%. Commission on share CFDs start at 0.10%.
If you want to access CMC Markets’ price data for share CFDs, you may need to pay a monthly subscription fee. For example, there is no fee for accessing US data, but you’ll have to pay $20 to access Australian market data. Finally, keep in mind that holding costs may apply to positions that are held open at the end of a trading day.
How do you fund your account?
|Payment type||Acceptable currency|
Payment type supported
|Personal cheque||CAD, USD||Nil||5 full business days hold|
|Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT)||CAD, USD||Nil||3 full business days hold|
|Wire transfer||CAD, USD||$15 levied by CMC Markets’ bank for domestic wires||24 business hours|
|Online bill payment||CAD||Nil||24 business hours|
|Direct debit (debit card)||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Direct debit (credit card)||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Pros and cons of using a CMC Markets trading account
- Reputable provider. CMC Markets has taken out a large number of industry awards for its CFD trading services.
- Trading options. You can trade over 10,000 products on markets around the world.
- Competitive fees. A comparison of CMC Markets’ ongoing fees and commissions reveals that the CMC Markets CFD Account is an affordable trading platform.
- Access to MetaTrader 4 (MT4). This platform is the most popular trading platform around the world, and is supported with CMC Markets.
- CFDs are risky. Trading CFDs comes with a wide range of risks – make sure you’re fully aware of these risks before you decide to start trading.
- Obscure and potentially costly commission scheme. Larger positions widen the spread applied to transactions, though the exact spread varies depending on which platform you use. Details affecting the profitability of trades are sometimes buried in fine print, making it difficult to fully understand your costs upfront.
How do I apply for a CMC Markets trading account?
To apply for a Trading Account from CMC Markets, simply click the ‘Go to Site’ link on this page to be securely redirected to an online application form.
To apply for an account you will need to provide:
- Your name
- Your contact details
- Your tax identification number (Social Insurance Number, or SIN)
- Details of your financial background
Of course, it’s vital that you are fully aware of all the risks involved in trading CFDs before you sign up for an account.
Compare online trading platforms
FAQs about CMC Markets CFD Accounts
More guides on Finder
How to buy Dialogue Health Technologies (CARE) stock
Invest in this leading Canadian virtual healthcare provider with an online stock trading account.
How to buy Deliveroo (ROO.L) stock in Canada
Canadian investors will need an international stock trading account to invest in this popular British delivery service.
Investing in your 30s: 8 wealth-building tips
Prepare to revamp your asset allocation and explore new investment classes when you’re in your 30s.
How to invest in the BTCC Bitcoin ETF
The world’s first physical Bitcoin ETF has launched onto the stock market. Here’s how to invest if you’re in Canada.
How to buy Douyin stock in Canada when it goes public
Here’s everything we know so far about the Douyin IPO.
A breakdown of the benefits and risks of after-hours trading, plus the brokers that support it.
How to open a stock trading account and buy stocks online
Check out our stock trading guide for beginners for information on how to choose the right platform for you, open a trading account and buy stocks online.
How to invest in commodities
Learn the ABCs of commodities, their market volatility and how to invest in them. Also, compare trading platforms and explore your investing options.
Mogo Credit Score review
Enjoy instant access to your credit score and get complimentary identity theft protection with this free service.
Can you open an IG Markets account in Canada?
You can’t open an IG Markets account if you live in Canada – but that doesn’t mean you’re not out of options.