Zurich business insurance review
This company stands out with 100 years' experience and wide, international protection.
All 50 states and DC
Known for insuring companies doing business on a global scale, Zurich offers robust coverage for companies of all sizes. Its offerings range from standard commercial property insurance to managing a captive or protecting against self-insurance risks. But like all insurance companies, Zurich garners some customer complaints.
What types of business insurance does Zurich offer?
Zurich offers a range of insurance to suit businesses from individual professionals to large corporations. Those options include:
- Absence management helps your business recover from employee absences required by state laws, including the Family Medical Leave Act, bereavement, military or jury duty.
- Builder’s risk can cover contractors or property owners when a building project is underway. The insurance protects against weather damage, theft, damage to construction materials and delays in the project.
- Business travel offers protection against disrupted travel plans, employee illnesses or emergency evacuations, including if any illness is related to the coronavirus.
- Crime insurance protects your business from financial losses due to an employee’s dishonesty or fraud.
- Commercial casualty. Zurich packages a variety of casualty insurance for businesses needing it for domestic or global work. Insurance can include general liability, workers’ compensation, commercial vehicle and umbrella liability.
- Commercial fleet insures your business vehicles for liability and physical damage protection.
- Commercial property insurance can cover your business’s buildings, equipment, inventory and other assets your business uses.
- Commercial umbrella extends your business’s liability insurance if damage goes beyond the limits of your original policy.
- Cyber insurance protects your business from the steep financial losses of a cyber attack, including recovering lost data, paying civil fines and dealing with damage to your reputation.
- Environmental insurance helps contractors and businesses that may face claims of their involvement in polluting or exposing others to pollution.
- Excess and surplus supports wholesale brokers who provide insurance for specialty risks not covered by standard business insurance.
- Group life insurance pays out lump sum benefits when a member dies or is diagnosed with a terminal illness or becomes permanently disabled.
- Kidnap, ransom and extortion protects your employees or key leaders from kidnap or ransom emergencies.
- Management liability provides essential protection for claims that your company or its directors have mismanaged company funds or affairs.
- Medical stop loss coverage protects your business from excessive payouts if you self-fund your employees’ healthcare.
- Occupational accident protects truckers and self-employed workers if they get injured or become ill on the job, losing valuable time and revenue.
- Personal accident, disability or critical illness insurance helps your company offer these voluntary types of coverage to employees. You can choose cover for injuries suffered away from work or while commuting to work, while voluntary work can also be covered.
- Political risk insurance helps your business manage goods or income during political upheaval.
- Private equity insurance protects investment firms from lawsuits, legal violations or harm to reputation when acquiring other businesses.
- Professional liability provides coverage if a client claims they suffered a loss as a result of your professional duties. Those covered may include lawyers, accountants or consultants.
- Specialty insurance programs helps businesses in specialized fields or risks get the insurance services they need.
- Student and participant accident protects those participating in student or sports events if they suffer injuries.
- Surety bonds ensure both parties in a contract uphold their duties, backed by Zurich’s financial security.
- Trade credit protects your company if you sell products on credit and your customer’s default on the sale.
- Workers’ compensation provides medical payments and lost wages for employees harmed on the job. Zurich also provides advice to help prevent accidents or reduce the total losses.
What other services does Zurich offer for businesses?
Zurich combines its insurance products with several consulting services your company might find helpful:
- Captive services. Zurich can help your business manage a captive, an insurance company operated by those it insures. Zurich’s consulting and risk engineering can lower your captive’s risk and ensure compliance with laws.
- Cyber risk assessment and response. Along with cyber insurance, your business gets access to Zurich’s risk engineering. Professionals can assess your business’s cyber risk and help you develop a response plan during an attack.
- Travel assistance. When using Zurich’s business travel insurance, employers and employees get access to 24/7 assistance and an app with travel condition updates and alerts as well as the ability to view the itinerary. The app lets viewers see a coronavirus heat map to stay on top of their risk.
- Risk engineering. Zurich helps your company identify its potential for losses and safety hazards, strengthen your weaknesses and reduce overall disruption to your business.
What industries does Zurich service?
Many standard and high-risk industries can receive service from Zurich, including:
- Financial institutions
- Real estate
Pros and cons of Zurich business insurance
- Experienced brand. Zurich has over 100 years in the insurance industry and serves as a global insurance brand.
- One of the largest commercial insurers. Zurich ranks fifth for the largest commercial insurance companies in the US. This suggests that many businesses trust the company with their needs.
- Coverage for a range of businesses and professionals. Zurich specializes in a variety industries and professions, including individuals and multinational corporations.
- Dedicated claims offices. If you need regional assistance with your claims, feel free to contact the regional office with representatives dedicated to claims help.
- Multiple customer service complaints. Zurich has received poor reviews from customers on Trustpilot and the Better Business Bureau. However, the total number of complaints is small, and not all complaints deal with Zurich’s business insurance.
Zurich business insurance reviews and complaints
Zurich Insurance garners multiple negative reviews on both Trustpilot and the Better Business Bureau. On Trustpilot, over 30 customers complain about the company’s poor customer service, inoperable website and difficulty in getting claims settled for travel and other personal insurance. Zurich Insurance holds an A+ with the Better Business Bureau with over 100 years’ experience in the global insurance industry. It also holds an A+ Superior financial rating with A.M. Best.
The most recent BBB complaints deal with overcharging for insurance, denying claims and not responding to claims for both private and business insurance. It’s notable that there are only 100 complaints total, and Zurich has responded to all complaints on the BBB. We researched these complaints from Trustpilot and the BBB in February 2020.
How do I make a claim with Zurich?
You can submit a claim with Zurich in a number of ways, including:
- Online. From the claims page, click to file a claim online and enter your details.
- Phone. Call a representative at 800-987-3373.
- Email. Send your claims report to USZ_CareCenter@Zurichna.com.
- Fax. Send important proof documents to 877-962-2567.
- Mail. Mail the US Customer Care center at:
Zurich Customer Care Center
PO Box 968017
Schaumburg, IL 60196
A few types of claims include special reporting instructions you’ll need to access through Zurich’s claims FAQs. Those types of claims include accident and health, automotive dealership, environmental, healthcare professional, political risk, trade credit or vehicle protection.
Compare alternatives to Zurich
Frequently asked questions about Zurich business insurance
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
Zurich has a lot to offer businesses with its variety of options risk consulting that can fit local businesses to multinational corporations. The company excels as one of the top US commercial insurance companies, a huge plus if you’re looking for a business with strong finances and rankings to back you. Another claim to Zurich’s experience is the company’s more than 100 years in the industry, which shows longevity.
The main downside to take into account: Zurich has received a number of complaints on trusted websites. However, we’d prefer to see several hundred reviews to make a final decision on its customer service. And its website offers multiple ways to reach Zurich’s customer service, including dedicated regional offices to field your claims questions.
You can weigh the benefits and coverage from Zurich with multiple business insurance companies so you find the best match.