Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own. Advertiser Disclosure
Compare car insurance for Zipcar drivers
Frequent drivers might need more coverage than what’s included.
Zipcar is a carshare service that promises freedom from the costs associated with owning your own car. Your membership and rental fees cover maintenance, gas, parking and even insurance.
But if the basic insurance that comes with your membership isn’t enough to put your mind at ease, consider supplementing with your own policy.
Does Zipcar provide any insurance?
To qualify for coverage with Zipcar, you have to be following the membership rules at the time of the accident. Zipcar provides comprehensive insurance for damages to the car, third-party liability insurance and Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage if it’s required by state laws where the accident takes place.
But before Zipcar’s insurance takes over, you have to pay a damage fee of up to $1,000 per incident, which acts like a deductible. Once you’ve paid the fee, all other damages are covered by Zipcar’s insurance. This fee can be lessened or waived by purchasing an additional protection plan with your Zipcar membership.
Car insurance for Zipcar
Zipcar automatically offers the following coverage with your membership:
|Coverage Type||Zipcar Covers||You Pay|
|Comprehensive||All costs after the damage fee is paid|
|Third-party liability||For members joining August 1, 2018 or later: costs up to the legal minimum required by the state where the accident happens|
For members who joined from March 1, 2015 to July 31, 2018, costs up to:
For members who joined prior to March 1, 2015: costs up to a combined $300,000 per accident
|Any costs above the liability limits|
|Personal injury protection||Minimum level required by the state where the accident occurs||Your medical insurance is primary, and the Zipcar PIP policy covers additional costs|
|Uninsured and underinsured motorist||No coverage, unless required by state law||Any additional costs above what is covered by your medical insurance and any other personal insurance|
How much does Zipcar damage protection cost?
In addition to the insurance that comes with your membership, Zipcar offers damage protection plans to help offset or eliminate the damage fee. You must be at least 18 years old and have had no Zipcar accidents in the last 12 months to purchase these plans.
- Plus Protection. For $5 more a month or $50 a year, you can reduce the damage fee to $375 per incident.
- Premium Protection. For $9 or $79 a year, you can eliminate the damage fee entirely for all incidents.
How do I make a claim after an accident with Zipcar?
If you’re involved in an accident or other incident where someone is injured, call 911 immediately — then follow the steps below once you’re safe. If no one is injured, you can simply follow these steps:
- Call Zipcar to report the accident at 866-494-7227.
- Call the police to fill out a police report, take pictures of the damage and gather information about any other cars and drivers involved.
- Fill out the Zipcar incident report on the Zipcar website.
- Contact Zipcar’s claims administrator, Sedgwick, at 866-345-2474 with any questions. You can also call to report any communications from the other party involved in the accident or their insurance provider.
- The local Zipcar office will inspect the vehicle for damages and bring the vehicle in for any necessary repairs. Your Zipcar account will be suspended during the investigation and claims process.
- You will receive an email with the details of any damage fee charges and the status of your account.
What if I want more protection?
One of the major benefits of Zipcar is that you don’t have to carry personal insurance, because the car isn’t yours. But if you do want to make sure you have personal coverage beyond what Zipcar offers, consider these options:
- Your existing auto policy. Most car insurance policies provide coverage for rental cars that should cover any Zipcar damages. Check with your insurance company to be sure.
- Your credit card coverage. Similar to personal car insurance, some credit cards offer rental car coverage that may extend to Zipcar.
- Nonowner car insurance. Some insurance companies offer policies for drivers of other people’s cars, which could be worth looking into if you’re going to use a service like Zipcar regularly.
Compare car insurance providers
If you’re only planning to drive a Zipcar a few times a year, the insurance provided as part of your membership should be plenty to cover any small incidents that might occur. But regular users should probably shop around for extra coverage to remain well protected.
Frequently asked questions about Zipcar insurance
More guides on Finder
Compare car insurance in Stockton
Compare car insurance rates and features that serve Stockton.
Walnut life insurance review
Try this life insurance membership with free wellness perks but short life insurance terms.
Car insurance in Modesto
These 4 best car insurance picks are a good starting point for shopping around in Modesto.
5 best life insurance companies for parents
The 5 best life insurance companies for parents at different stages of life.
Car insurance in Bakersfield
Compare top car insurance companies in Bakersfield, plus see why you need extra coverage here.
Car insurance in Sacramento
Shop for car insurance in Sacramento with the best coverage, rates, service and local reputation.
Compare car insurance in San Jose
Car insurance isn’t optional in San Jose. Compare insurers that serve San Jose, California.
Compare car insurance in Fresno
Compare insurers that serve Fresno, California, side by side.
Car insurance in San Diego
These top 4 companies should narrow down your car insurance options in San Diego.
Car insurance in Denver
See our 4 best picks for car insurance in Denver, plus a few more to consider.
Ask an Expert