Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Telkom Fibre Review
Take advantage of speeds of up to 200Mbps when choosing a fibre internet plan with Telkom.
Telkom is a very well-known brand in South Africa and is the country’s biggest fixed-line operator. Its 100% fibre network provides some fast internet speeds along with competitive pricing. In this review, we take a look at Telkom’s fibre plans to help you decide if this provider will meet your needs.
What type of fibre plans are offered by Telkom?
With Telkom, you can pick your internet speed limit of up to 200Mbps depending on your requirements. Here are some of Telkom’s fibre plan types from its UNLIMITEDhome lite range:
- 10Mbps UNLIMITEDhome lite. Get download speeds of up to 10Mbps and upload speeds of up to 5Mbps. Choose to pay month-to-month or opt for a 24-month contract that includes a free modem and installation. Uncapped usage. This deal starts from R649.
- 20Mbps UNLIMITEDhome lite. Take advantage of download speeds of up to 20Mbps and upload speeds of up to 10Mbps. Uncapped usage. Plus, enjoy your first three months for free if you sign up to a 24-month contract, which also includes a free modem and installation. Alternatively, choose a month-to-month plan. This deal starts from R699.
- 40Mbps UNLIMITEDhome lite. Enjoy download speeds of up to 40Mbps and upload speeds of up to 20Mbps. Choose to pay month-to-month or opt for a 24-month contract that includes a free modem and installation. Uncapped usage. This deal typically costs R1199.00.
- 100Mbps UNLIMITEDhome lite. Get download speeds of up to 100Mbps and upload speeds of up to 50Mbps. Uncapped usage. Pick between a 24-month contract, with a modem and installation, or a month-to-month plan. This deal starts from R1499.00.
- 200Mbps UNLIMITEDhome lite. Get download speeds of up to 200Mbps and upload speeds of up to 100Mbps. Uncapped usage. This deal’s only available on a month-to-month plan, so you’ll have to pay for your modem. This package starts from R1799.00.
For each of these fibre deals, you’ll get voice services included and calls are charged as per standard network rates. Also, you’ll receive an email account. Note that ‘unlimited’ usage is subject to Telkom’s acceptable use policy.
It’s important to check which services you could access based on where you live. You’ll need to be in a Telkom fibre area. A detailed coverage map is available on Telkom’s website. You can also see your current internet speed with our straightforward tool.
Benefits of Telkom Fibre
- Fast and reliable internet. By using fibre optic cables rather than copper one, your connection is more resilient against bad weather interruptions or theft. Fibre plans give peace of mind your connection should be fast, unlocking benefits such as faster download times, clearer video calls and more.
- Online deals. Telkom regularly posts special offers for new customers who sign up to a fibre internet deal. At the time of writing, if you order any fibre internet package online then you’ll get a free WiFi Range Extender (worth R499). This useful piece of kit can extend your current wireless coverage, helping to eliminate dead zones in your home or office.
Features of Telkom Fibre
- Flexibility. In addition to the wide choice of UNLIMITEDhome lite plans, Telkom offers a range of UNLIMITEDhome plans via ADSL connections and which have speed limits starting from 4Mbps. Plus, many plans let you choose between capped and uncapped deals.
- Easy application process. Telkom makes it straightforward to apply for a new deal in three ways: online, over the phone or in-person.
- Mobile service plans. As well as high-speed fibre internet delivered to properties, Telkom has a number of deals which are tailored to mobile-based internet users. These include 2G, 3G and 4G/LTE services. Also, Telkom is a trusted name when it comes to phone services for business use and offers customers a suite of products.
Pros and cons
- Fast speeds of up to 200Mbps – which should be enough bandwidth to cater to multiple devices
- Regular freebies can help you get the most out of your browsing
- There are cheaper prices on the market – for example, MWEB offers a 100Mbps plan from R999 p/m (although it’s worth noting that, at 50Mbps, Telkom offers twice as much upload speed limit)
How to apply for Telkom Fibre
It’s easy to apply for a home fibre internet package with Telkom: you can place an order online, call 10213 or visit a Telkom shop. Once your order is processed, a service representative at Telkom will contact you for an appointment to do the installation.
Frequently asked questions
What fees will I be charged if I decide to cancel Telkom internet?
You can choose to cancel your Telkom internet service at any time; however, you’ll need to pay out the remaining cost of your contract along with any freebies you took advantage of when you signed up to a deal, such as your router and installation. Other costs may apply, so be sure to read the terms and conditions with care before you sign up to a contract with Telkom.
When comparing internet plans, always keep an eye out for charges such as installation fees or activation costs. Other charges typically include an early termination fee if you decide to break your contract early.
How does fibre broadband work?
Fibre broadband uses a network of fibre optic cables to deliver data and typically has the fastest broadband speeds. For many people, it’s crucial to have Wi-Fi that can deal with multiple devices browsing the Internet at the same time.
Can I keep my internet service if I move to another property?
Yes, you usually can move homes and retain your broadband bundle. However, be aware that the continuation of your existing service can only happen if your fibre can successfully operate at your new premises. With Telkom, you won’t be charged any penalty with regards to your contract – but installation charges will apply at your new premises.
More guides on Finder
Starlink: South Africa pricing, launch date, features and competitors
Elon Musk’s Starlink promises to bring high-speed, satellite-based Internet across South Africa. We break down how it works, the costs, availability and competition it might be up against.
Best vehicle finance*
Taking out vehicle finance is a commitment that typically lasts for a number of years, so you want to be sure you’re choosing a loan that meets your needs.
Sanlam Personal Loans Review
Apply for a personal loan of up to R200 000 with Sanlam.
Afrihost Fibre Review
Get lightning-fast internet speeds of up to 1Gbps when choosing Afrihost.
Vox Telecom Fibre Review
Take advantage of speeds of up to 1Gbps, 24/7 customer support, and more with Vox Telecom.
MWEB Fibre Review
What you need to know about MWEB fibre plans. Pros and cons explained. Plus, how to find out if you can get fibre in your home or business.
Vodacom fibre review
Take advantage of speeds of up to 100Mbps and an unlimited data allowance with Vodacom.
Uncapped Fibre Deals
Stop getting charged for going over the limit – avoid getting your Internet speeds slowed down by comparing unlimited fibre internet plans.
Wireless internet plans
A wireless broadband connection could be your best connectivity option if a physical broadband connection is unavailable.
Uncapped LTE Deals
An uncapped LTE deal could be your next best connectivity option if a physical broadband connection is unavailable.
Ask an Expert