Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
10 places to travel on the rand in 2020
Here are the destinations where your rand will go that much further this year.
Exchange rates can make a massive difference to the cost of a holiday.
For those looking to make their rand go further, we’ve pulled together the top ten best travel destinations based on currency gains over the last year.
To determine our list, we compared exchange rates via XE.com on 1 January 2019 with those on 1 January 2020. We then pulled out the top ten that showed the greatest growth for the South African rand, excluding any destinations that were noted as “high” risk level on travelriskmap.com.
Where you should travel to make your rand go further
Topping the list is Argentina, with the rand 64% stronger against the Argentinian peso than it was at the same time last year. That means R1,000 is now worth an additional 1,658 Argentinian pesos.
In second place is Uruguay, with the rand increasing 17% against the Uruguayan peso – time for a South American holiday anyone? South America actually dominated the top ten list with a total of four countries, including Paraguay and Chile, making the cut.
10 of the cheapest currencies for South Africans in 2020
- Argentinian peso: 64% more per rand
- Uruguayan peso: 17% more per rand
- Turkish lira: 15% more per rand
- Paraguayan guarani 11% more per rand
- Chilean peso: 9% more per rand
- Mauritian rupee: 8% more per rand
- Swedish krona: 8% more per rand
- Hungarian forint: 8% more per rand
- Dominican peso: 8% more per rand
- Romanian leu: 8% more per rand
The Argentinian peso has topped our list for sporting the biggest drop against the rand. If you haven’t learned the tango in the country that formed it, what are you waiting for?
- How much am I saving? For every R1,000, you’ll be getting an extra 1,658 Argentinian pesos compared to last year.
- What is there to do in Argentina? Experiences range from the buzz of Buenos Aires to immersing yourself in the beauty of glaciers. See how much it will cost to fly here.
The rand is up 17% on the Uruguayan peso compared to last year.
- How much am I saving? For every R1,000, you’ll nab an extra 389 Uruguayan pesos – close to the cost of a monthly travel pass
- What is there to do in Uruguay? Named a top destination by Lonely Planet in 2016, Uruguay boasts Atlantic beaches and satellite towns along the coast. If you’re a foodie, you’re in luck as the country is also known for its beef and wine country. See how much it will cost to fly to Uruguay here.
It seems everywhere you go, Turkey is the talk of the town. Instagrammers flock to Cappadocia for that photo of the hot air balloons above the fairy chimneys, and with the exchange rate gaining South Africans 15% more lira per rand, how could you resist making the trip?
- How much am I saving? For every R1,000 exchanged, you’ll get 55 Turkish lira more compared to 2019, which is a bit more than the cost of a mid-range bottle of wine.
- What is there to do in Turkey? Re-live ancient history with a visit to the Hagia Sophia Museum or a trip to Ephesus or Pergamum. If history isn’t your thing, you can bathe in the pools of Pamukkale, cruise the Mediterranean or shop your heart out at the Grand Bazaar. See how much it will cost to fly to Turkey here.
Often overlooked for its neighbours Brazil, Argentina and Bolivia, Paraguay is one of the least expensive countries in South America and it’s even cheaper against the rand now. The Paraguayan guarani has weakened 11% in the last year.
- How much am I saving? For every R1,000 exchanged, you’ll get a bonus 45,875 guaranies in your hands compared to last year’s exchange rate. To compare, a one-hour taxi wait costs around 50,000 guaranies.
- What is there to do in Paraguay? Adventurers can climb and abseil down the Saltos del Monday, a 45-metre tall and 120-meter wide waterfall. Those interested in a more relaxing holiday can soak up nature by visiting one of the countries many national parks. See how much it will cost to fly to Paraguay here.
With the exchange rate improving by 9%, it’s the perfect excuse to visit Chile.
- How much am I saving? R1,000 is now worth an extra 4,294 Chilean pesos in your pocket – that’s a bonus cheap eat for one.
- What is there to do in Chile? This South American country has it all: a mountainous landscape, world-class wineries and sandy beaches. Travel south and you’ll discover a wintry climate and some of the best snowfields in the southern hemisphere. See how much it will cost to fly to Chile here.
The Mauritian rupee is 8% weaker against the rand, meaning you can enjoy its Indian Ocean beaches, lagoons and reefs for less.
- How much am I saving? Expect to have 200 more Mauritian rupees in your pocket for every R1,000 compared to 2019. That’s around the cost of two cappuccinos.
- What to there to do in Mauritius? In addition to soaking up the sun on white beaches or boating around, you can go deep-sea fishing, experience the local markets and visit Champs de Mars, one of the world’s oldest horse racing tracks. See how much it will cost to fly to Mauritius here.
Europhiles fear not, the rand is now 8% stronger against the Swedish krona than the same time last year.
- How much am I saving? For every R1,000, you’ll get an extra 48 kronor, which is just short of covering the cost of a beer.
- What is there to do in Sweden? Check out world-class museums like the Vasa Museum and the ABBA Museum in Stockholm or enjoy the archipelago, also known as the Venice of the North. Check out flights here.
The Hungarian forint weakened 8% against the rand.
- How much am I saving? You’re looking at an extra 1,516 Hungarian forints when you exchange your money in 2020. In Hungary, that’s almost the cost of a movie ticket
- What is there to do in Hungary? Cruise the Danube or relax in the baths in the country’s capital, Budapest. For those who enjoy a drop, you can visit the Eger wine region or those who enjoy architecture can check out the many churches, mosques and government buildings. You can see what it will cost you to fly to Hungary here.
9. Dominican Republic
The rand is 8% stronger against the Dominican peso than it was last year.
- How much am I saving? Take away an extra 270 Dominican pesos for every R1,000. That’s more than enough to have a taxi on standby for an hour.
- What is there to do in the Dominican Republic? This country is all about natural diversity – from lush landscapes to pristine beaches, this destination has it all. When you get tired of relaxing on the beach, stretch your legs in town and explore the colonial architecture. Check out flights here.
Rounding out the list is Romania, given the rand is now 8% stronger than the leu.
- How much am I saving? Every R1,000 is now worth an extra 21 Romanian lei, the price of a mid-range bottle of wine.
- What is there to do in Romania? Get spooky by visiting Dracula’s castle in Transylvania or watch brown bears in their natural habitat. You can also experience Romania’s authentic village life or relax by the Black Sea. Find out how much it costs to fly to Romania here.
More guides on Finder
Binaryx offers an intuitive interface for investors to trade a range of crypto and fiat assets.
Ethereum (ETH) price prediction 2021
What affects the value of Ethereum (ETH) and how might the price of ETH fluctuate in the year ahead? Find out in this comprehensive guide.
AscendEX (BitMax) Cryptocurrency Exchange Review
A complete review of the AscendEX exchange, covering trading and DeFi features, associated fees, regulation and security. Is AscendEX right for you?
What is Compound Finance?
We explore how to use Compound Finance for lending and borrowing.
Gemini vs Coinbase
We compare these two large cryptocurrency exchanges to see how their fees, features and customer support stack up.
How to buy and sell Dogecoin (DOGE)
A beginner’s guide to buying and selling this decentralized, peer-to-peer cryptocurrency in South Africa.
Binance Futures guide: How to trade BTC, ETH and more
Learn how to trade futures contracts on Binance with this visual step-by-step guide.
Review: FTX cryptocurrency exchange
Trade cryptocurrency, derivatives and speculate on stocks with this fully-featured exchange created “by traders, for traders”.
Alternatives to WeBull in South Africa
South Africans can’t access WeBull, so here are six affordable alternatives if you want to trade US stocks at low prices.
Uber Eats discount code October 2021
Save on piping hot meals delivered to your door with these exclusive Uber Eats discount codes.
Ask an Expert