Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to send money to Zambia
Do you need to send funds to Zambia from South Africa? These tips will help you save money.
Although it might seem like a complicated process, sending money from South Africa to Zambia doesn’t have to be difficult or expensive. If a friend or family member needs money quickly, you can use a money transfer service to convert your South African rand into Zambian kwachas. You’ll likely get a better interest rate and less fees, saving you money and getting more funds to your recipient in Zambia.
Compare money transfer services to Zambia
How do international money transfers work?
An international money transfer allows you to send money to a recipient overseas. Transfers involve one person providing funds to a bank or an independent money transfer company that then converts the money to another currency–in this case, the Zambian kwacha. This can be done in person, over the phone, through a mobile app or online. You can use cash, a credit or debit card, or transfer funds from your bank account. Your transfer can be deposited into your recipient’s bank account or made available as cash for them to pick up at a nearby location.Back to top
What criteria to use to compare transfer companies when sending and receiving money between Zambia and South Africa?
- Exchange Rates. Exchange rates were relatively consistent but that you could get the best rate using a money transfer company that got its rates through the bank. The drawback to this was usually the time delays in sending money.
- Pickup Methods. Zambia offers a robust financial infrastructure and allows someone to receive money in their bank account, as well as cash at an agent or branch location.
- Fees. Fees are much higher if you want to send her money with a quick delivery and a low amounts,but are generally standard.
- Bank to Bank Benefits. There is no clear bank to bank benefit that you could find through research.
- Turnaround Time. The turnaround time can range from minutes to five days in sending money to Zambia.
- Transfer Methods. There are a couple of options through the services including branch, bank accounts, online, phone and agent.
- Transfer Options. Because you want to pay off debt, you will most probably want to find a recurring payment solution. You can also see the value of a currency option so you can fix your rates when they are low.
- Minimum and Maximum Transfer Amounts. Although some companies specify these, the lower the transfer amount, the higher the fees can be.
- Customer Service. MoneyGram and Western Union have been around for years and offer vast support structures worldwide, whilst Xpress Money is newer with support features like live chat. Citibank also has a huge reach with customer support ranging across global boundaries.
Foreign exchange rates explained
Exchange rates are a flexible scale that determines how much the currency of one country is worth when converted to the currency of another currency. Interest rates, economic stability and inflation rates all influence the exchange rate between South Africa and Zambia.
What are your options for sending money to Zambia from South Africa?
- Money transfer services. Moneygram, Western Union and Xpress Money are able to send money to Zambia.
- Banks. Citibank has branches in Zambia, but requires a visit to the branch to send and receive money. Commonwealth Bank allows you to send money to Zambia and receive it and can also be used to send money to someone with a supported bank account in Zambia.
What are the steps to send money to Zambia using various services?
- Browse the table above and compare each provider’s rates, fees and delivery speed to find a service that works for you and your recipient.
- Click Go to Site when you’ve found a good provider.
- Create an account and enter your personal information, including your bank account information if required.
- Enter your recipient’s information.
- Pay for the transfer.
- Keep your tracking number and give it to your recipient if they are planning to pick up cash. This helps you ensure your transfer goes through smoothly.
Tips for picking up cash in Zambia
Here’s what you’ll need when picking up cash in Zambia:
- A government-issued ID.
- The tracking or reference number.
In addition, you should follow a few simple steps to ensure that you and your money stay safe:
- Avoid any areas where crime is known to be a problem.
- Keep your wallet and/or bag safe and secure at all times.
- Take a friend along to provide additional security and peace of mind.
- Don’t flash your cash around in public.
- Don’t carry large sums of money around for any longer than is absolutely necessary.
How to handle an emergency money transfer
If your friend or family member needs cash immediately, there are money transfer companies that can perform a same-day transfer. Keep in mind that these will have subprime exchange rates and higher fees than transfers that are made over the course of a few days. Gauge your need and the total cost of the transfer before committing. If it can wait, you’ll likely save money and be able to transfer more than with an emergency transfer.
More guides on Finder
AscendEX (BitMax) Cryptocurrency Exchange Review
A complete review of the AscendEX exchange, covering trading and DeFi features, associated fees, regulation and security. Is AscendEX right for you?
Gemini vs Coinbase
We compare these two large cryptocurrency exchanges to see how their fees, features and customer support stack up.
How to buy Robinhood stock from South Africa
Robinhood is expected to go public, here’s what you need to know if you’re looking to buy in from South Africa.
Fees and features to consider before signing up for a Firstrade brokerage account.
ZAR to SZL Exchange Rate
Live exchange rates South African Rand to Swazi Lilangeni. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to SZL.
ZAR to KES exchange rate
Live exchange rates South African Rand to Kenyan Shilling. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to KES.
ZAR to BGN Exchange Rate
Live exchange rates South African Rand to Bulgarian Lev. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to BGN.
Best South African rand to Swiss franc exchange rates today (ZAR/CHF)
Need to send money to Switzerland? Here’s how you can find the highest ZAR/CHF exchange rate and the lowest transfer fees.
What are bonds and how do you buy them?
You could receive a higher return with a government bond compared to a savings account without significantly increasing your risk.
Tax guidelines and regulations for large money transfers into South Africa
Your recipient won’t be on the hook for any taxes, but there may be limits on how much you can send.
Ask an Expert