Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to send money to Switzerland
Find the quickest and cheapest way to make an international transfer to Switzerland.
Making international money transfers doesn’t have to be a headache. With a number of banks and independent money transfer companies able to exchange your South African rand for Swiss francs, you have plenty of options to choose from. All you have to do is spend some time considering the cost of the transfer before making a final decision so you can ensure you get the best deal when sending money to Switzerland.
Compare international money transfers to Switzerland
Banks vs. money transfer services
Many banks offer money transfer services to Switzerland, but that doesn’t make them the best deal. They often charge high fees, have subpar exchange rates and process transfers slowly. Another option you might want to consider is an independent money transfer company. These tend to offer all around better deals than banks, and many have different features that set them apart when you want to send money to Switzerland.
Options for sending money to Switzerland from South Africa
- Bank transfers. Many major South African banks can safely wire your funds to Switzerland. However, the frustratingly high fees and weaker exchange rates you’ll receive by going through your bank may not make this your first choice.
- Online money transfer services. These specialists offer more affordable transfers than banks, allowing you to quickly and easily manage your transactions from home. With competitive exchange rates and lower fees, you can send funds from your bank account or visit an agent location.
- Providers with cash pickup. Trusted providers like Western Union and MoneyGram give your recipient fast access to the cash you send — sometimes within minutes. However, services typically cost more than an online transfer specialist and vary by where you’re transferring your money and how you’re paying for it.
- PayPal transfers. Not just for online purchases, PayPal offers transfers to more than 100 countries and supports multiple currencies. Its exchange rates are often better than those you’ll get from a bank but not quite as strong as rates from money transfer companies. PayPal calculates its transfer fee as a percentage of the amount you’re sending, which means it’s often better for sending smaller amounts of money.
- International money order. You can get this type of money order from your bank and send it overseas to your recipient, who then cashes it in at their own bank. While more secure than a personal check, it’s a slower option than using an electronic transfer. It also costs a little more — you’ll have to purchase the check, and your recipient may be charged a fee by their own bank cashed.
Foreign exchange rates explained
How to send money to Switzerland
- Select a money transfer provider from the table above.
- Click Go to site when you’re ready to make an account.
- Start a transfer by entering how much you want to send and your recipient’s information.
- Pay for your transfer and save your tracking number.
Same-day transfers to Switzerland
If you need to send a same-day transfer to Switzerland, you’ll want to take the time to compare rates. Some companies will charge higher fees or offer less favorable exchange rates when you need quick processing time, so you’ll need to be on the lookout for a good deal if you don’t want to break the bank with a money transfer.
Tips for picking up cash in Switzerland
Although Switzerland is a relatively safe country, there is always risk when picking up cash. Be sure to bring a friend along with you to an agent location in a safe area, and don’t take too long to deposit your cash into your bank account. If you do need to go somewhere with a large amount of cash, keep your bag close by and avoid taking out large amounts of money in front of strangers. This should help you minimize the risk of being stolen from, but as with everything, always remain aware of your surroundings and vigilant.
Making a money transfer to Switzerland is easy enough, but you’ll have quite a few options to choose from. Narrow down your choices by comparing exchange rates, fees and processing times. And to get the best deal when making a money transfer to Switzerland, learn more about money transfers before selecting a provider.
Cash pickup locations in Switzerland
More guides on Finder
Gemini vs Coinbase
We compare these two large cryptocurrency exchanges to see how their fees, features and customer support stack up.
Fees and features to consider before signing up for a Firstrade brokerage account.
Best South African rand to Swiss franc exchange rates today (ZAR/CHF)
Need to send money to Switzerland? Here’s how you can find the highest ZAR/CHF exchange rate and the lowest transfer fees.
Review: Mama Money international money transfers
Your guide to international transfers with Mama Money, including exchange rates, fees and how to register an account.
Review: Shoprite international money transfers
If you want to send money overseas with Shoprite, check out our review of the transfer times, fees and exchange rates on offer.
Review: Hello Paisa international money transfers
Your detailed review of transfer times, exchange rates, fees and safety when you send money overseas with Hello Paisa.
Review: FNB international money transfers
Your detailed review of the transfer methods, exchange rates and fees available when you send money overseas with FNB.
Review: Bidvest Bank international money transfers
If you want to make an international payment with Bidvest Bank, check out our review of transaction costs, registration and safety first.
Review: Absa international money transfers
If you want to send money overseas with Absa, check out our guide to the transfer options, fees and exchange rates available.
Review: Standard Bank international money transfers
Your guide to fees, exchange rates and processing times when you send an international payment with Standard Bank.
Ask an Expert