Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Send money to Puerto Rico
Pay low fees and safely send money the Island of Enchantment.
Transfer fees will vary by provider, method of payment and delivery.
Find the cheapest, fastest money transfer to Puerto Rico
Use our comparison table to assess transfer fees and other details for sending funds to Puerto Rico with our money transfer partners.
Banks vs. money transfers
While you could choose the convenience of walking into your local South African bank for a money transfer to Puerto Rico, you’ll may pay a steep transfer fee to do so.
With an independent money transfer specialist, you will typically pay a lower fee with better options for payment and delivery to your recipients.
How to compare transfer providers
- Fees. Fees can vary wildly by provider, but your local banks will typically charge more than you’ll pay with an independent money transfer specialist.
- Transfer options and speeds. Do you need to schedule your transfer online, by phone or in person? Confirm each provider’s method of payment, and ask how long it will take for delivery.
- Minimum amounts. If a provider imposes a minimum limit on transactions, make sure this limit isn’t too high for your needs.
- Pickup methods. Some providers allow for bank deposits only, while others may also offer the ability for your recipient to pick up your funds in cash.
- Customer service. Confirm whether customer support is available 24/7 by phone, email or live chat, if you encounter a problem.
Ways to send money to Puerto Rico from South Africa
- Bank transfers. Most South African banks and online providers like Wise and Xoom will allow you to send money to bank accounts in Puerto Rico.
- Transfer companies with cash pickup. Funds can be picked up at Western Union, Ria and MoneyGram locations throughout the island.
- PayPal. With low fees and fast transfer times, PayPal can be a sound option for sending smaller amounts to Puerto Rico.
- Checks and money orders. While a slower option, these old-school payment methods are safe and effective.
In an emergency situation, sending money to Puerto Rico can be expensive. Bank transfers are not ideal for emergency situations, because of their longer processing times.
However, most independent providers allow you to send expedited payments with additional processing fees. Using a credit card can also save time, but expect higher fees with some providers for this method of payment.
Tips for picking up cash in Puerto Rico
When picking up cash in Puerto Rico, take a friend along who speaks Spanish, if you don’t know the language. Only about 20 percent of those living on the island speak English, and you can make expensive errors simply by not knowing the language. Never flash your cash when traveling, and avoid dark secluded areas.
How to send money to Puerto Rico
Regardless of how you choose to send money to Puerto Rico, you’ll typically need to set up an account.
Most banks and money transfer providers will require your name, contact information and government-issued ID. Next, you’ll provide your recipient’s name and contact information, how much you’re sending and how your recipient will receive it. If you’re sending a bank transfer, you’ll also need to provide your recipient’s bank name, routing number and account number.
Once you’ve completed your transfer, the provider will confirm your transaction with a reference number. Use this reference number to track the progress of your transfer to receipt.
With so many options available, sending money to Puerto Rico should be a simple and painless process. By comparing your options, you can prevent unpleasant surprises like high fees and penalties for cash pickup. However, your cheapest option may be the services of an independent money transfer specialist. With these companies, you could pay less — or for larger transfers, no fee at all.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Binaryx offers an intuitive interface for investors to trade a range of crypto and fiat assets.
Gemini vs Coinbase
We compare these two large cryptocurrency exchanges to see how their fees, features and customer support stack up.
Finder’s Bitcoin Predictions Report: December 2020
We asked 47 experts for their cryptocurrency price predictions and took a deep dive into the Bitcoin price rally.
How to invest in the Didi Chuxing IPO from South Africa
Everything we know about the Didi Chuxing IPO, plus information on how to buy in.
How to buy Robinhood stock from South Africa
Robinhood is expected to go public, here’s what you need to know if you’re looking to buy in from South Africa.
How to invest in the Deliveroo IPO from South Africa
Deliveroo is set to go public, here’s what you need to know if you’re looking to buy in from South Africa.
Purchase order financing explained
Short-term financing when your business doesn’t have the cash flow to fill all its orders.
CM Trading review
CM Trading lets you trade CFDs, Forex, crypto, and more. Explore the features you can get with a CM Trading account in South Africa.
PrimeXBT is a one-of-a-kind broker that’s best suited to niche investors.
ZAR to MZN Exchange Rate
Live exchange rates South African Rand to Mozambican Metical. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to MZN.
Ask an Expert