Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to send money to Madagascar
Learn how to send money to Madagascar with international money transfer companies.
Sending money has become easier over the years, but this means there are even more options to choose from when you need to make a transfer to friends or family in Madagascar. You can avoid large fees and bad exchange rates by comparing international money transfer companies. Our guide will help you learn how to find one that suits your needs.
Compare money transfer services to Madagascar
How to compare different services for sending money between Madagascar and South Africa
- Exchange rates. The exchange rate is fairly consistent with a few volatile movements. You could consider a forwarded contract if you see a more favorable exchange rate.
- Pickup methods. Send money to physical agent locations for a cash pickup, mobile devices and bank accounts.
- Fees. Companies like OFX International will offer a solid rate with a low sending fee but the delivery of the currency can take 2 days and more depending on the recipient location.
- Bank-to-bank benefits
- Turnaround time. A quicker turnaround usually comes at a cost. The cash pickup options as explored above usually implicate a higher sending fee and in some instances a lower rate. The turnaround time with the available companies will take anywhere between ten minutes and four days.
- Transfer methods. The different transfer methods range from basic services like agent or phone, to online portals and mobile apps.
- Transfer options. You can choose between spot contracts, booked rates/forwarded contracts, recurring payments and limit orders.
- Minimum/maximum transfer amounts. For some maximum amounts, it will realize in a lower fee but will also require you to go into the branch or agent location to make the transfer.
- Customer service. Keep in mind that sending money overseas can be a stressful task if it’s a new activity for you. Customer support can make or break whether it a good or bad experience. Many of the companies listed below have a proven track record of good customer support that makes the process enjoyable.
What options do you have when sending money to Madagascar?
- Money transfer services. The available transfer companies to send money from South Africa to Madagascar include OFX International, Moneygram, Western Union, and Xpress Money.
- Banks. You can use Citibank to send money to Madagascar. It is advised to visit a branch to learn about current exchange rates and more about fees.
- Paypal. Paypal is available in the Madagascar market but does not support the MGA currency. The EUR and ZAR are accepted occasionally and can be received for currency exchange at a local exchange bureau.
Foreign exchange rates explainedWhen you want to convert money from one currency to another, you need to know the exchange rate. This is the how much one country’s currency is worth when exchanged for the currency of a different country. A strong currency will yield more money when exchanged for a weak currency. Since the South African rand (ZAR) has traditionally been strong against the Malagasy ariary, you can expect to receive a good rate when making an exchange.
Is it possible to send money to South Africa from Madagascar?
- Money transfer services. You can use a money transfer service with an online portal to send money to South Africa from Madagascar.
- Bank accounts. Citibank accepts MGA and can receive money from Madagascar.
What steps to send money to Madagascar?
Each money transfer company has a different process, but the following steps should help you complete any forms you need to fill.
- Choose a money transfer provider from the table above.
- Click Go to Site and create an account.
- Supply your recipient’s information.
- Pay for your transfer.
- Save your tracking number and receipt.
Once your half of the transfer is complete, make sure your recipient receives their funds within the time frame supplied by the company. If they don’t, contact customer service to fix the problem.
Same-day cash transfer options to Madagascar
If your friend or family member needs a same-day cash transfer, you’ll be able to complete it through Moneygram, Western Union or Xpress Money. These companies provide quick services and have locations in both major cities of Madagascar, but keep in mind that their fees will be higher and you may not receive the best exchange rate.
Top tips for picking up cash in Madagascar
Try to avoid walking around with a passport. Call ahead to the agent location you will be visiting and check if you can take along a copy of your ID or passport instead of the original document when picking up your cash.
There are some recurring cases of theft and violence as well, so when going to pick up cash, make sure that you are in a safe and populated area. Keep the transaction as discreet as possible, and if you can, bring a friend with you to have an extra set of eyes while you travel to deposit your cash.
More guides on Finder
AscendEX (BitMax) Cryptocurrency Exchange Review
A complete review of the AscendEX exchange, covering trading and DeFi features, associated fees, regulation and security. Is AscendEX right for you?
Axie Infinity guide: How to play and earn
Axie Infinity is an RPG game that is currently dominating the NFT sector. Discover what Axies are, what makes them unique and how you can earn money simply by playing.
South Africa Reserve Bank repo rate forecast report July 2021
97% of Finder’s panel predict that the SARB will hold the repo rate at the July meeting, but 16% say that it should cut the rate.
Gemini vs Coinbase
We compare these two large cryptocurrency exchanges to see how their fees, features and customer support stack up.
How to invest in the Didi Chuxing IPO from South Africa
Everything we know about the Didi Chuxing IPO, plus information on how to buy in.
Binance Futures guide: How to trade BTC, ETH and more
Learn how to trade futures contracts on Binance with this visual step-by-step guide.
How to buy Robinhood stock from South Africa
Robinhood is expected to go public, here’s what you need to know if you’re looking to buy in from South Africa.
How to buy Coinbase (COIN) shares from South Africa
Steps to owning and managing Coinbase shares.
Purchase order financing explained
Short-term financing when your business doesn’t have the cash flow to fill all its orders.
Alternatives to WeBull in South Africa
South Africans can’t access WeBull, so here are six affordable alternatives if you want to trade US stocks at low prices.
Ask an Expert