Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Send money to Lesotho
Find the best way to transfer money from South Africa to Lesotho.
Looking for the best way to send money from South Africa to family, friends or businesses in Lesotho (or even to your own bank account)? Don't head straight to your South African bank - turn to online money transfer services instead. They nearly always offer better exchange rates and lower fees - which means for the same amount of rands you send, the recipient will receive more lotis.
Compare ways of sending money to Lesotho
Use our table below to compare services that send money from the Republic of South Africa to Lesotho. Compare the money transfer providers' fees and speeds, then click "Go to site" when you've found the best one to send your Rands to Lesotho.
How to send money to Lesotho from South Africa
Here's our simple process for sending a money transfer to Lesotho as a cash pickup or bank transfer - the two options are similar:
- Compare your options.
- Register for an account. You'll need to give your name, address, contact details, proof of ID and method of payment.
- Provide recipient details. Enter your recipient's name and contact information. If you're sending straight to their Basotho bank account, you'll need the account number, SWIFT or IBAN plus their bank branch's address.
- Enter the transfer amount. Check you're happy with the fees, exchange rates and transfer speed, then enter the amount you wish to send. Many services give the amount of Loti your recipient should receive, so double check this.
- Complete your transfer. Send your money transfer to Lesotho. Keep any reference number safe so you can track your transfer - your recipient may need it too.
If you send to a Basotho bank account, your recipient will need to wait for the funds to arrive. For a cash pick up, your Basotho recipient will need to show some form of photo ID in order to pick up the funds. It's also important that you give them the transaction reference number to streamline the process.
Ways to send and receive money
How to decide which option is best for you to send money to Lesotho.
- Bank deposit. Most major banks in the Republic of South Africa let you wire money to banks in Lesotho. However, you might get weaker exchange rates and pay higher fees all for the privilege of a slower transfer.
- Online money transfer services. Online companies like make international money transfers to Lesotho easy with bank transfers or cell phone top ups often offered as easy delivery options.
- Transfer agents across the Republic of South Africa. Many transfer providers have locations dotted all across the Republic of South Africa, making it easy for you to send money that can be easily picked up in similar agent locations in Lesotho.
- Cheques and money orders. If speed is not an issue, you can always pick up an international cheque from your bank or the South African Post Office to send to Lesotho.
- Cash pick-up. you to collect cash, even if you don't have a bank account in Lesotho.
- Bank deposit. If you have a Basotho bank account, you can have money transferred directly into this without having to make any trips to a money transfer agent location.
- PayPal. The Xoom app allows you to receive money from South Africa onto your cell phone, into your Basotho bank account, or as a cash pick-up.
- Cheques and money orders. Both personal cheques and money orders can be sent directly to you where you live but these tend to be the slower options.
What documents do I need to transfer money to Lesotho?
To send money from South Africa to Lesotho, you'll need the following:
1. Photo identification
Most providers require a driver's license, passport or other South African government-issued ID. You can send transfers without the above but may need to give alternate ID instead.
2. Payment method
Your options depend on the provider's services. Popular methods include cash, debit or credit card payments, bank account transfers and personal cheques.
3. Recipient information
You'll need their name (matching their ID) plus contact details. If sending to a Basotho bank account, you'll need the a/c number, SWIFT and branch details.
What documents do I need to receive money in Lesotho?
To collect money in person in Lesotho, the recipient will need:
1. Transfer number
The reference number - sometimes called a PIN, MTCN or tracking number.
2. Government-issued ID
A official ID, such as a Basotho passport or driving license.
3. The transfer amount
To know how much has been sent, usually to within 10% of the total.
4. Sender information
The sender's name and address and the country from where the money was sent.
How much does it cost to send money to Lesotho from the Republic of South Africa?
The cost of sending money to Lesotho from South Africa depends on the exchange rate between ZAR to LSL, the fees, how you want your recipient to receive your transfer and the turnaround time:
- Exchange rates. The mid-market rate is the rate banks and transfer services use to trade between one another. It is the best rate that you can get. But not all money transfer providers offer you this mid-market rat so compare the exchange rate you're offered to the mid-market rate and look for the smallest difference.
- Transfer fees. Are you being charged a flat fee or a percentage of your transfer amount? For example, a provider offering to transfer your money to Lesotho for a flat or low fee might work out better if you plan to send a large amount.
- Transfer speed. If you need your transfer to arrive quickly, you can pay for a quick delivery. Companies such as offer instant cash pickups but may charge more. If you're not in a rush, online money transfer services can offer the best value, usually getting your money to Lesotho faster and cheaper than banks.
- Transfer limits. Find out how much you can send with each service. For example, one provider may have a send limit of R10,000 while another may allow you to transfer up to R1 million. For smaller transfers, check the fees. For large transfers, look harder at the exchange rate. Some providers encourage large transfers with low fees.
- Transfer type. Does your recipient have a Basotho bank account or is cash or cell phone top up the better option? Each transfer type will have different fees. For example, instant cash pickups tend to be more expensive than bank transfers.
- Discounts. Some providers may offer you a free transfer simply for signing up while others may offer you a discount if you transfer more than a certain amount.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
South African Reserve Bank repo rate forecast report November 2022
90% of the panel believe that the MPC will increase the repo rate at the November meeting.
South African Reserve Bank repo rate forecast report September 2022
100% of the panel believe that the MPC will increase the repo rate at the September meeting.
Financial planner statistics – South Africa
Find out where South African adults are most likely to get share trading advice from.
How to buy Aptos (APT) in South Africa
This guide provides step-by-step instructions on how to buy Aptos, lists some exchanges where you can get it and provides daily price data on (APT).
South African Reserve Bank repo rate forecast report July 2022
88% of the panel believe that the MPC will increase the repo rate at the July meeting.
Orca (ORCA) price, chart, coin profile and news
This guide provides step-by-step instructions on how to buy Orca, lists some exchanges where you can get it and provides daily price data on ORCA.
KRYLL (KRL) price, chart, coin profile and news
This guide provides step-by-step instructions on how to buy KRYLL, lists some exchanges where you can get it and provides daily price data on KRL.
How to buy Coinbase Wrapped Staked ETH (CBETH) in South Africa
This guide provides step-by-step instructions on how to buy Coinbase Wrapped Staked ETH, lists some exchanges where you can get it and provides daily price data on (CBETH).
How to buy EthereumPoW (ETHW) in South Africa
This guide provides step-by-step instructions on how to buy EthereumPoW, lists some exchanges where you can get it and provides daily price data on (ETHW).
How to buy Wrapped Terra Classic (LUNC) in South Africa
This guide provides step-by-step instructions on how to buy Wrapped Terra Classic, lists some exchanges where you can get it and provides daily price data on (LUNC).
Ask an Expert