Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to send money to Chad
Compare your options when sending money to Chad and find out what you need to know.
Chad has started attracting a lot more investment in recent years and more money has started entering the country.
How much does it cost to send money to Chad? Compare your options
The table below lets you see how much it will cost to send money to Chad with different options.
Enter the amount of your transfer into the table below and it will run the numbers to help you find the best deal.
Step by step: How to send money to Chad
- Compare the available transfer services that can send your rands to Central African CFA francs.
- Choose the one that’s best for you and go to its website.
- Enter the details of your transfer in the space provided.
- Confirm the details and make your payment.
What’s the best way to send money to Chad?
There are several ways of sending money to Chad. The main options are:
Let’s crunch the numbers: Sending R5,000 to Chad
The table below shows how much it costs to send money to Chad with two different services. One offers cash pick-ups, while the other is a transfer service that offers a choice of delivering to recipient bank accounts or cash pick-ups.
|Cash transfer||Money transfer service|
|Exchange rate||1 ZAR = 29.01 XAF||1 ZAR = 32.75 XAF|
|Transfer speed||Within minutes||1–2 days|
|Overall||XAF21,040 less||XAF21,040 more|
One option will be a bit slower, but will leave your recipient with almost XAF21,000 (roughly R600) more than the other.
How long will it take to send money to Chad?
Your funds can be available to pick up in Chad almost immediately with cash pick-up services.
It will typically be slower with banks though, as well as money transfer services you’re either paying with a bank deposit or are delivering money to the recipient’s bank account.
How to send money to Chad without a bank account
If you don’t have a bank account you can still send money to Chad by paying in person at a local agent location. If the recipient doesn’t have a bank account, they can still pick up cash or may also be able to collect funds with mobile money.
What to watch out for
Cash transfers are one of the more popular ways of sending money to Chad, despite the large landmass and largely rural country.
Mobile money services haven’t taken off to the same extent in Chad as neighbouring countries, so this may not be a popular option for everyone.
Documentation you’ll need to send money to Chad
If you’re sending money to Chad, you may be asked to provide:
- Identification. Your personal ID and details such as your name, address and contact details.
- Transfer amount. How much you want to send in XAF.
- Recipient’s details. Who the recipient is, how they should receive the money and their contact details.
- Reason for sending the money. You may be asked why you’re sending the money and, in some cases, may be required to verify this reason with additional documentation.
What to compare to get the best deal
To find the option that’s best for you, look at:
- Fees. How much you’re being charged in flat fees for the transfer.
- Exchange rates. How much margin you’re paying on the exchange rate, as a percentage of the transfer.
- Transfer speed. How long it will take the funds to arrive.
- Payment options. The different ways of paying for a transfer. For example, with credit card, cash in hand or via bank transfer.
- Delivery methods. This is whether you want the funds delivered as cash, sent to a mobile wallet or put into the recipient’s bank account.
- Customer service. Does the transfer service offer 24/7 support or just during business hours?
Foreign exchange rates explained
Exchange rates are how much of one currency you get for the other. In this case, the other currency will be XAF or Central African CFA francs.
XAF is pegged to the euro, so your exchange rates will fluctuate based on that. Look at the mid-market rates (below) and compare that to an exchange rate quoted by a transfer service to see how much you’re paying on exchange rate margins.
Cash pick-up locations in Chad
More guides on Finder
Axie Infinity guide: How to play and earn
Axie Infinity is an RPG game that is currently dominating the NFT sector. Discover what Axies are, what makes them unique and how you can earn money simply by playing.
How to buy Robinhood stock from South Africa
Robinhood is expected to go public, here’s what you need to know if you’re looking to buy in from South Africa.
Best South African rand to Swiss franc exchange rates today (ZAR/CHF)
Need to send money to Switzerland? Here’s how you can find the highest ZAR/CHF exchange rate and the lowest transfer fees.
Review: Shoprite international money transfers
If you want to send money overseas with Shoprite, check out our review of the transfer times, fees and exchange rates on offer.
Review: Hello Paisa international money transfers
Your detailed review of transfer times, exchange rates, fees and safety when you send money overseas with Hello Paisa.
Review: FNB international money transfers
Your detailed review of the transfer methods, exchange rates and fees available when you send money overseas with FNB.
Review: Absa international money transfers
If you want to send money overseas with Absa, check out our guide to the transfer options, fees and exchange rates available.
Review: Nedbank international money transfers
A detailed review of the fees, exchange rates and processing times that apply when you send money overseas with Nedbank.
Best places to exchange currency in Cape Town
How to find the best deal when you need to exchange foreign currency in Cape Town.
Critical Illness Cover
Find out how critical illness cover can offer you a lump sum payment to cover medical costs, debts and bills if you develop an illness or condition that’s covered in your policy.