Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to send money to Angola
Compare your options to spend less on money transfers to Angola.
If you’re looking to send money to Angola, remember to compare options first.
You could save a lot and find the money transfer service that best suits your need by considering fees, exchange rates, transfer times and how your recipient will get their funds.
How much does it cost to send money to Angola? Compare your options
The table below shows how much it may cost with different providers when you’re sending money to Angola. Just enter the transfer amount and it will show costs.
Learn more about
Step-by-step: How to send money to Angola
- Choose your service from the options listed here that can send your rand to kwanza.
- Go to the service’s website and create an account.
- Create a new money transfer order on the website, including the amount and the recipient’s details.
- Confirm your transaction details and make the payment. Your money is now on its way.
What’s the best way to send money to Angola?
There are three basic ways of sending money overseas. The best way of sending money to Angola will depend on what you and the recipient are looking for.
Bank transfers are reliable and can be convenient, but also tend to be slow and expensive. In general, banks can be more suitable for business payments than remittances.
If you want to pay with cash, or the recipient wants to pick up cash somewhere in Angola, there are many services available. This is fast but can be more expensive than online transfers.
Money transfer services
These online-only services can be among the cheapest options available, but will generally require you to pay with a bank transfer.
How long will it take to send money to Angola?
How long it takes to send money to Angola depends on a range of factors. If you want to get money there as fast as possible, cash transfers may be the most efficient choice.
Alternatively, if both you and the recipient have a suitable mobile money account, such as e-Kwanza, you can send mobile money payments instantly.
Emergency cash transfer
Services that specialise in cash transfers can help you send money to Angola, offering pick-up locations around the country. These transfers generally take only minutes.
However, the recipient will still have to travel to the pick-up location and will have to visit it during its business hours to make the collection.
How to send money to Angola without a bank account
If you don’t have a bank account you may have to pay with cash at an agent location. There is a wide range of agent locations around the world, although some services will have better coverage in some countries than others.
Your recipient can still make a cash pick-up without a bank account, and can also receive mobile money payments without necessarily having a bank account.
What to watch out for
Angola is very cash oriented, so cash transfers are considered the norm. It also imposes tight restrictions on the Angolan kwanza to prevent it from leaving the country in large amounts.
There are generally few restrictions or taxes on money coming into the country, but sending money from Angola to other countries is much more difficult.
Documentation you’ll need to send money to Angola
When you send money to Angola, some of the things you may need to provide include:
- Identification. For example, a driver’s license or passport to provide proof of the other details you provide. Your recipient may also need to provide proof of identity.
- Transfer details. This includes the amount and that you want to send to the Angolan kwanza. You may also need to provide additional information such as the reason for sending the money.
- Recipient’s details. This is the recipient’s name and contact information. You’ll also be given a transfer number, which you should send to the recipient so they can collect the money.
What to compare to get the best deal
You can compare on cost alone, but there are other factors to consider too.
- Fees. The fees are often the main cost, but you should also consider exchange rates.
- Exchange rates. On large transfers, the exchange rates can be one of the biggest expenses.
- Transfer speed. If you need the money to arrive in a hurry, look for services which are convenient for the recipient.
- Payment options. How would you like to pay for you transfer? Your options may vary depending on whether you’d prefer to pay with card, cash or a bank transfer.
- Delivery methods. Is cash pick-up fine, or do you want to send the money directly to the recipient’s bank account?
- Customer service. Who do you contact in case something goes wrong? Does the money transfer service have a good reputation for customer service?
Foreign exchange rates explained
The exchange rates can make up a large portion of the total costs, especially for larger transfers.
To find out how good your rates are, compare the exchange rate offered by the transfer service to
the current ZAR/AOA mid-market rate.
Cash pick-up locations in Angola
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Binaryx offers an intuitive interface for investors to trade a range of crypto and fiat assets.
How to buy Robinhood stock from South Africa
Robinhood is expected to go public, here’s what you need to know if you’re looking to buy in from South Africa.
How to invest in the Deliveroo IPO from South Africa
Deliveroo is set to go public, here’s what you need to know if you’re looking to buy in from South Africa.
Purchase order financing explained
Short-term financing when your business doesn’t have the cash flow to fill all its orders.
Fees and features to consider before signing up for a Firstrade brokerage account.
CM Trading review
CM Trading lets you trade CFDs, Forex, crypto, and more. Explore the features you can get with a CM Trading account in South Africa.
PrimeXBT is a one-of-a-kind broker that’s best suited to niche investors.
Multifunction printer buying guide: Compare inkjet and laser printers
Learn how to choose a multifunction printer that best suits your needs.
Compare multi-cookers: How to find the best multi-cooker
If you’re searching for an all-in-one appliance that can help you prepare a wide range of meals, this guide will help you find the best multi-cooker for your needs.
eToro South Africa review
Online trading giant eToro lets you buy stocks, ETFs, cryptocurrency and more. Find out how it works in South Africa.
Ask an Expert