Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to send money to Afghanistan
Save time and money when sending money to Afghanistan from South Africa.
The best way to send money to Afghanistan depends on your payment method and transfer needs. Popular options like Western Union and MoneyGram offer cash pickups, but make sure there’s a convenient agent near your recipient. Compare money transfer services to see who offers the strongest exchange rates and lowest fees.
Compare international money transfers to Afghanistan
What’s the best way to send money to Afghanistan?
Your options are limited when sending money to Afghanistan.
- MoneyGram. Using MoneyGram to send money to Afghanistan will enable you to send money to stores for cash pickup.
- Western Union. Western Union is typically more expensive than MoneyGram, but you may have more cash pickup locations to choose from.
You can use cash, a credit or debit card, or transfer funds from your bank account, which will then either be deposited into your recipient’s bank account or mobile wallet, or made available as cash for them to pick up at a location in their country. Currently, the only providers that offer money transfers to Afghanistan are Western Union and MoneyGram. Both these providers are only accessible via bank branches in South Africa (Western Union via Absa, and MoneyGram via Standard Bank, FNB, and Bidvest). Although you can send money online via Western Union, it will have to be in the form of US dollars.
Western Union vs. MoneyGram
Sending R10,00 to Afghanistan from South Africa will cost different amounts depending on which company you pick. We checked prices on February 22, 2020 for cash pickup when paying by bank account.
|Exchange rate||1 ZAR = 3.7535 AFN||1 ZAR = 4.2642 AFN|
|Transfer time||0-4 business days||0-4 business days|
|Transfer options||Online, agent location||Online, agent location|
|Transfer method||Cash pickup||Cash pickup|
|Total AFN received||37,084.58 AFN||42,428.79 AFN|
As you can see, with MoneyGram’s superior exchange rate you can send a little over 5,344 more Afghan afghanis while saving about R70 on fees.Back to top
Steps to send money to Afghanistan
- Sign up for a free account through Western Union or MoneyGram. Provide your name, address, contact information and ID.
- Provide your beneficiary’s name and the agent location where they will pick up the funds.
- Select the amount of money you are sending and complete your transaction.
- Make a note of your tracking number so you can monitor the progress of your money transfer.
How to compare transfer companies when transferring money to Afghanistan
By comparing a few elements of your transfer, you can ensure that you get the cheapest deal for your needs.
- Exchange rates. Nearly all providers skew exchange rates for a profit. Compare the rate you’re offered to the mid-market rate — the rate banks and transfer services use when they trade among themselves — and look for the smallest margin between them.
- Transfer fees. Find out whether the provider charges a flat fee or a percentage of your transfer. If you’re sending a large amount, ask whether you qualify for a fee-free transfer.
- Payment and delivery options. Some transfer companies allow you to pay with a credit card online, by phone or through an app. Others offer agent locations for cash payments and pickups. Also ask how your recipient can receive your funds: bank account, cash pickup, mobile wallet and more.
- Transfer speeds. If it needs to be there fast, companies like Western Union and MoneyGram allow for quick cash pickups, often in minutes. If you have more time, you’ll get better rates and fees with an independent provider.
- Transfer limits. Your best option might depend on how much you want to send. For large transfers, weigh the best exchange rate —especially since providers encourage large transfers by offering low fees. For smaller amounts, consider the fees you’ll pay on top of the exchange rate.
- Flexible transfer options. Ask whether you can schedule payments ahead of time or protect your transfer against market fluctuations with a limit order or forward contract.
- Customer support. Most companies offer customer service by Internet chat, phone, in person or by email. Make sure help will be available if you need it.
Foreign exchange rates explained
The exchange rate determines how much one country’s currency is worth in another currency. When a country’s currency is strong, it yields more money when exchanging it in a country with a weak currency.
Most countries’ exchange rates are flexible, which means they can change from moment to moment. Factors that influence the exchange rate include political activity, economic stability and inflation.
What are the ways that I can send money to Afghanistan?
- Providers with cash pickup. Western Union and MoneyGram allow you to send funds for cash pickup at agent locations.
- M-Pesa. M-Pesa is a safe, secure way to send, receive and store money through your mobile phone or an app. Top up your account at one of more than 287,000 agent locations and then send money to loved ones, who can visit an agent to withdraw their funds.
Emergency transfers to Afghanistan
In the event that you need to send money to Afghanistan in a hurry, your fastest possible transfer will often be your most expensive option. Carefully review the exchange rate and transfer fee against your needs so that you understand exactly how much it will cost you.
Must read: Tips for picking up money in Afghanistan
MoneygGram and Western Union list their cash pickup locations on their respective websites, so research the area well before heading to a location in a smaller town. Stick to main towns and don’t wander into unknown places when looking for a cash pickup agent.
Have a valid photo ID and the correct reference or transaction number when picking up cash. It’s also recommended you bring a copy of the receipt and the sender’s details.
Here are some other tips when picking up money anywhere in the world:
- Call ahead. Learn the company’s business hours and choose a safe time to pick up your cash. Daylight hours are best.
- Bring a friend. Carrying money when alone can be dangerous. Ask a friend to come along.
- Deposit your money immediately. The likelihood of losing your money to theft or simple carelessness grows the longer you have it with you. Go straight to a bank and deposit your cash as soon as possible.
- Keep your cash hidden. Place your money in your purse or wallet before leaving the office. Carrying cash out in the open could make you a target.
More guides on Finder
How to buy Robinhood stock from South Africa
Robinhood is expected to go public, here’s what you need to know if you’re looking to buy in from South Africa.
What are bonds and how do you buy them?
You could receive a higher return with a government bond compared to a savings account without significantly increasing your risk.
Tax guidelines and regulations for large money transfers into South Africa
Your recipient won’t be on the hook for any taxes, but there may be limits on how much you can send.
Review: Mama Money international money transfers
Your guide to international transfers with Mama Money, including exchange rates, fees and how to register an account.
Review: Shoprite international money transfers
If you want to send money overseas with Shoprite, check out our review of the transfer times, fees and exchange rates on offer.
Review: Hello Paisa international money transfers
Your detailed review of transfer times, exchange rates, fees and safety when you send money overseas with Hello Paisa.
Review: FNB international money transfers
Your detailed review of the transfer methods, exchange rates and fees available when you send money overseas with FNB.
Review: Bidvest Bank international money transfers
If you want to make an international payment with Bidvest Bank, check out our review of transaction costs, registration and safety first.
Review: Absa international money transfers
If you want to send money overseas with Absa, check out our guide to the transfer options, fees and exchange rates available.
Review: Standard Bank international money transfers
Your guide to fees, exchange rates and processing times when you send an international payment with Standard Bank.
Ask an Expert