Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
International money transfers with cash pick-ups
A secure and convenient way to receive international money transfers without a bank account.
If you need to send money overseas, finding a specialist that offers cash pick-up could speed up your transfer, with pick-ups often available in minutes. This is a secure option, but watch out for exchange rates and fees.
Compare international cash pick-up money transfers
Use our comparison calculator to assess transfer fees, exchange rates and other details for sending funds overseas with our money transfer partners for cash pick-up.
How does a cash transfer work?
The basic premise behind a cash transfer is quite simple. In a nutshell, you send money overseas to your friends or family who can then visit an agent or office to pick up the cash you send.
The best-known providers of this service are Western Union and MoneyGram. Western Union allows you to send money online or in person at more than 500,000 locations in over 200 countries. MoneyGram also offers online and in-person transfers to more than 200 countries, with some 350,000 agent locations around the globe. Some providers even let you process a money transfer without a bank account.
Digital provider WorldRemit is another option for a cash pick-up. It sends your money overseas and your recipient can then collect from a local bank branch.
Cash transfers are designed to be both secure and convenient, giving your recipient fast access to the cash you send. However, the costs involved in sending a cash transfer can be steep, so it’s a good idea to compare your range of options.Back to top
How to compare cash transfer services
Compare the following features when weighing the pros and cons of cash transfer companies:
- Exchange rates. Nearly all providers skew exchange rates for a profit. Compare the rate you’re offered to the mid-market rate — the rate banks and transfer services use when they trade among themselves — and look for the smallest margin between them.
- Fees. Does the provider charge a flat fee or a percentage of your transfer? Do the fees vary by method of payment? If you’re sending a large amount, will you qualify for a fee-free transfer?
- Pick-up locations. How many agent locations are there in the area you’re planning to send money to? Make sure the location and operating hours are convenient for your recipient.
- Transfer speed. How long will it take for the money you send to be available for your recipient to collect? If you need to send an emergency transfer, can the cash be ready for pick-up within minutes?
- Payment methods. Can you pay with cash, credit or debit cards or a bank account transfer?
- Transfer methods. Can you initiate the transfer online, by phone or with an agent? Does the provider offer an online app?
- Customer support. Most companies offer customer service by online chat, phone, in person, or by email. Make sure help will be available if you need it.
What are the pros and cons of cash transfers?
- Cash transfers are fast. Cash pick-ups offer an incredibly quick way to send money overseas — some can be picked-up within minutes.
- Plenty of choice. Several trusted companies operate in the money transfer industry, giving you the freedom to shop around for a better deal.
- Safe and secure. Reliable providers like Western Union and MoneyGram can offer secure international transfers.
- Convenient. Picking up cash from a transfer agent makes it simple and convenient for your recipient to access the funds you send.
- Transfer fees. You’ll often pay more for a cash pick-up over a transfer deposited into your recipient’s bank account. Confirm all of the fees involved in cash pick-ups before handing your money over.
- Weak exchange rates. Exchange rates on cash transfers can be weaker than those you’d receive from an online money transfer specialist — and even a small difference in rates can mean a lot less money received by friends and family. Compare the exchange rate you’re offered against the mid-market rate before making your decision.
- Untrustworthy providers. Compare reputable providers to find one that’s best for you.
- Picking up cash. In certain parts of the world, picking up cash from a transfer agent can expose you to the risk of theft.
What are some tips for picking up cash?
No matter where you are in the world, picking up cash from a transfer agent can be dangerous. Stay safe with these tips:
- Avoid unsafe areas. Find a location that’s safe and convenient.
- Call ahead. Confirm an agent’s location and business hours before visiting.
- Bring a friend. Carrying money alone can be dangerous. Ask a friend to come along.
- Deposit your money immediately. The likelihood of losing your money grows the longer you have it with you, so head straight to the bank after pick-up.
- Keep your cash hidden. Openly carrying cash could make you a target. Put your money in a purse or wallet before leaving the office.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
AscendEX (BitMax) Cryptocurrency Exchange Review
A complete review of the AscendEX exchange, covering trading and DeFi features, associated fees, regulation and security. Is AscendEX right for you?
Finder Cryptocurrency Predictions Report: October 2020
We asked 30 panellists for their cryptocurrency price predictions, the outlook for DeFi and how long they think high returns on yield farming might last.
Benefit from zero trade commission on selected accounts, low spreads and a host of advanced trading tools with Exness online brokerage.
How to invest in the Didi Chuxing IPO from South Africa
Everything we know about the Didi Chuxing IPO, plus information on how to buy in.
How to buy Robinhood stock from South Africa
Robinhood is expected to go public, here’s what you need to know if you’re looking to buy in from South Africa.
How to buy Coinbase (COIN) shares from South Africa
Steps to owning and managing Coinbase shares.
Purchase order financing explained
Short-term financing when your business doesn’t have the cash flow to fill all its orders.
Fees and features to consider before signing up for a Firstrade brokerage account.
CM Trading review
CM Trading lets you trade CFDs, Forex, crypto, and more. Explore the features you can get with a CM Trading account in South Africa.
What does the future hold for investments?
Finder speaks with 33 investment experts about what the future of investing might hold.
Ask an Expert