Transfers typically take
Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Review: Hello Paisa international money transfers
Simple and convenient transfers to over 30 countries around the world.
- Good for quick and easy transfers to more than 30 countries.
- Not so great for large transfers and transaction fees.
Hello Paisa exchange rates and fees
When you send an international transfer with Hello Paisa, be aware that there are two types of fees that apply to your transaction. The first is an exchange rate margin that Hello Paisa adds to the mid-market exchange rate — compare the rate quoted for your transaction with the current mid-market rate to work out how much your transfer will cost you.
The second cost you need to be aware of is a transaction fee. This is calculated as a percentage of your transaction amount, but the size of that percentage can vary depending on where you’re sending money.
Hello Paisa allows you to send cash transfers to countries all around the world. Supported currencies include:
- BDT Bangladeshi taka
- BWP Botswana pula
- INR Indian rupee
- KES Kenyan shilling
- NGN Nigerian naira
- PHP Philippine peso
- UGX Ugandan shilling
What types of transfers can you make with Hello Paisa?
Hello Paisa offers several transfer types, including:
- Cash transfers. The most popular transfer method with Hello Paisa is to transfer funds to a cash collection point in your recipient’s country. This offers a fast and simple way to send money overseas.
- Mobile wallet transfers. Depending on where you’re sending money, you may be able to transfer funds directly to your recipient’s mobile wallet.
- Bank account transfers. You can also opt to have the money you send deposited directly into your recipient’s bank account.
However, please note that not all transfer methods are available to all destinations, so check with Hello Paisa to find out what pickup methods are available to your recipient.
You can submit a transfer via the Hello Paisa mobile app, over the phone, at your nearest Hello Store or by visiting a pay-in point at one of the provider’s retail partners.
How long does a transfer with Hello Paisa take?
Transfer times can vary depending on where you’re sending funds and the amount you transfer.
However, funds are often available for collection by your recipient within minutes, but it can take up to 24 hours in some cases.
What payment methods does Hello Paisa accept?
You can pay for your Hello Paisa transfer in two ways:
- Cash at a Hello Store or pay-in point at one of the provider’s retail partners
- Bank transfer to one of Hello Paisa’s bank accounts
Is Hello Paisa safe to use?
- Security and regulation: Government regulated.
- Established: 2015.
- Ownership: Hello Group.
Hello Paisa is a South African money transfer service run by Hello Group, the same company behind Hello Mobile. Regulated by the South African Reserve Bank, the provider requires you to provide proof of ID and proof of address before you can sign up and start transferring money. Hello Paisa also claims to offer 100% secure transactions.
How does Hello Paisa make money?
Hello Paisa makes money on international transfers in two ways:
- By applying an exchange rate markup. The rate you get from Hello Paisa is different to the mid-market rate you see listed on Google. The mid-market rate is the price at which banks buy foreign currency from one another.
- By charging a transaction fee. You’ll also need to pay a fee on each transfer, which is calculated as a percentage of your transaction amount.
How to register an account
Before you can send money overseas with Hello Paisa, you’ll need to sign up for an account. You can do this by completing the following steps.
How do I make an international money transfer with Hello Paisa?
The simplest way to transfer funds is through the Hello Paisa app. You can send money overseas by completing the following steps:
- Log in to the app.
- Select the “Send Cash” tab.
- Choose the recipient you want to send money to, or add the details of a new recipient.
- Select the type of transfer you want to send and enter the relevant details, such as the chosen cash collection point or your recipient’s bank account information.
- Enter the amount you want to send, review the details of your transaction and then finalise payment.
What is Hello Paisa?
Hello Paisa is an international money transfer service based in South Africa. Established in 2015, it is operated by the Hello Group, which also runs the Hello Mobile network.
Hello Paisa’s headquarters are located in Centurion, Gauteng, and the provider has a network of more than 15 locations around the country.
In a nutshell
- Fast transfers. The money you send with Hello Paisa will often be ready for your overseas beneficiary to collect within minutes.
- Easy to use. It’s quick and easy to submit a transfer request via the Hello Paisa mobile app or in-store. You can also pay for your transaction with a bank account deposit.
- Send money to 30+ countries. Hello Paisa allows you to transfer funds to 31 countries around the world, including several locations in Africa.
- Transaction costs. Hello Paisa’s exchange rate markups and transaction fees can increase the cost of your transfer, so it’s worth comparing costs among money transfer services to see if you can find a better deal.
- Transfer limits. Maximum daily transfer limits apply, so Hello Paisa may not be the best choice if you want to transfer a large amount of money.
How does Hello Paisa compare to other services?
To find out how Hello Paisa’s exchange rates and fees stack up against the competition, enter the details of your transaction into the table below.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Binaryx offers an intuitive interface for investors to trade a range of crypto and fiat assets.
AscendEX (BitMax) Cryptocurrency Exchange Review
A complete review of the AscendEX exchange, covering trading and DeFi features, associated fees, regulation and security. Is AscendEX right for you?
Gemini vs Coinbase
We compare these two large cryptocurrency exchanges to see how their fees, features and customer support stack up.
Review: FTX cryptocurrency exchange
Trade cryptocurrency, derivatives and speculate on stocks with this fully-featured exchange created “by traders, for traders”.
Purchase order financing explained
Short-term financing when your business doesn’t have the cash flow to fill all its orders.
Fees and features to consider before signing up for a Firstrade brokerage account.
CM Trading review
CM Trading lets you trade CFDs, Forex, crypto, and more. Explore the features you can get with a CM Trading account in South Africa.
ZAR to KES exchange rate
Live exchange rates South African Rand to Kenyan Shilling. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to KES.
Uber Eats discount code September 2021
Save on piping hot meals delivered to your door with these exclusive Uber Eats discount codes.
Multifunction printer buying guide: Compare inkjet and laser printers
Learn how to choose a multifunction printer that best suits your needs.
Ask an Expert