CM Trading is a South African broker that allows clients to trade currencies, commodities, CFDs and more.
In this review, we’ll take a look at the platforms, features and fees of a CM Trading account, to help you decide if it’s the right investment account for you.
What is CM Trading?
Founded in 2012, CM Trading is a Johannesburg-based online broker, a subsidiary of Global Capital Markets Trading LTD. As one of the largest trading platforms in South Africa, CM Trading stands out with its suite of unique features including social trading, FOREX education and customisable web-based platforms.
Compare CM Trading as an online broker
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
CM Trading Features
With a trading account from CM Trading, you can trade a huge range of financial products including over 50 different major currency pairs. You can choose from four types of accounts, each requiring a minimum account value ranging from $250 for a Bronze account to $100,000 for a Premium account.
Here’s a list of features you can expect to enjoy when you sign up for CM Trading.
- Easy-to-use interfaces. To access your account, you can use the two popular FOREX trading platforms: MetaTrader 4 or Sirix Web. With both platforms, you can modify the charting, toolbars and widgets to suit your needs.
- Sophisticated charting. You can predict market movements with over 60 pre-installed technical indicators, from Bollinger Bands to AI-detected Trend Lines. >
- Seamless orders. Besides an immense variety of advanced order types, CM Trading offers custom-made automatic trading strategies to carry out hedging or scalping trades, right from the charts.
- Competitive bid-ask spreads. Enjoy competitive spreads at upwards of 0.9 for currencies and just 0.2 for cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin.
- Variety in trading assets. Exotics, major indices, CFDs and cryptocurrencies are just some of the global assets that you can buy and sell.
- Top-notch customer service. Higher-tier account holders can access a personal assistant or trading specialists who will directly address your questions.
- Social Trading. With CM Trading, you can directly trade the moves made by any other investor on the platform, which can serve as a guardrail if you’re new to the market.
- Leverage. You can enjoy leverage of up to 1:200, which magnifies the gains on your trades with lower committed capital.
- Free Demo Account. If you’re curious about the trading interfaces, you can try a free demo account with CM Trading for as long as you want, whenever you need.
CFD trading with CM Trading
CFDs are complex investment instruments that require you to take on a much higher risk. That’s because CFDs involve speculation instead of owning positions. If you’re a new investor, you’re typically discouraged from using CFDs as it is a tool for more experienced traders. Remember, you should only invest as much as you are willing to lose—especially so for CFDs.
CM Trading allows you to trade CFDs on currency pairs, precious metals, indices and shares amongst other assets. While stock spreads start at 0.1, FTSE spreads are approximately 35. You can find more information about CFD trading with CM Trading by visiting their website and reading up on the specific CFD asset you’re interested in.
Is CM Trading safe?
Yes. CM Trading is regulated by South Africa’s Financial Sector Conduct Authority (FSCA) and is licensed to operate as an online trading platform. Here are the other security measures put in place by CM Trading to help you keep your money safe.
- SSL and 128-bit Key Encryption. All transaction data is encrypted based on 128-bit keys and transmitted over a secure network thanks to SSL certification. This prevents unauthorised people from reading your transaction data.
- Extended Authentication. By enabling extended authentication, you can ensure that you’re logging in to your trading account through the right server and limit any unauthorised access to your account.
- Segregated Accounts. Like most other brokers, CM Trading also holds separate accounts for the company’s finances and client capital, avoiding the situation of someone tampering with your finances.
CM Trading fees and charges
|Monthly Inactivity fee||US$15|
Do note that you will incur rollover charges for holding leveraged positions overnight. The actual charges will vary according to the amount of leverage you’re using, the instrument you’re trading and the size of your trade. We advise you to get in touch with CM Trading for a specific quote of how much you could end up paying.
How to sign up
To sign up, you’ll only need a few minutes of your time. Here are the steps that you should to follow.
- Visit the CM Trading website and click on the button labelled “Open Account”.
- Fill out the form provided with your personal information. You’ll need to provide details such as your employment status and address.
- Choose your preferred account type, whether it’s a Demo account or a Live Trading account.
- Accept the terms and conditions offered to finish registering your account.
- Transfer the minimum deposit amount for your account type to start trading securities.
Pros and Cons of CM Trading
- Wide range of investment options
- Intuitive trading interfaces
- A regulated and safe platform
- Social trading features
- Above-market spreads
- High transaction fees
- Limited leverage of just 1:200
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
What is Compound Finance?
We explore how to use Compound Finance for lending and borrowing.
Finder Cryptocurrency Predictions Report: October 2020
We asked 30 panellists for their cryptocurrency price predictions, the outlook for DeFi and how long they think high returns on yield farming might last.
How to buy The Honest Company (HNST) shares from South Africa
Here’s everything we know so far about The Honest Company IPO and how to buy in from South Africa.
Benefit from zero trade commission on selected accounts, low spreads and a host of advanced trading tools with Exness online brokerage.
Finder’s Bitcoin Predictions Report: December 2020
We asked 47 experts for their cryptocurrency price predictions and took a deep dive into the Bitcoin price rally.
How to invest in the Didi Chuxing IPO from South Africa
Everything we know about the Didi Chuxing IPO, plus information on how to buy in.
Review: FTX cryptocurrency exchange
Trade cryptocurrency, derivatives and speculate on stocks with this fully-featured exchange created “by traders, for traders”.
How to buy Robinhood stock from South Africa
Robinhood is expected to go public, here’s what you need to know if you’re looking to buy in from South Africa.
How to invest in the Deliveroo IPO from South Africa
Deliveroo is set to go public, here’s what you need to know if you’re looking to buy in from South Africa.
How to buy Polkadot (DOT)
Learn more about the DOT cryptocurrency in this beginner’s and buyer’s guide.
Ask an Expert