Whether you are looking for the best place to eat in a far-away city or a hidden gem your hometown, Yelp has the information you need to make the best decision.
Here’s our attempt at reviewing a review site.
- Transparent consumer reviews give accurate snapshots of restaurants and other businesses in areas across the united states
- Ability to sort by match, rating, and most reviewed
- Sorting by neighborhood available
- Distance filters are broken down by driving, biking, and walking
- Price ranges help you choose a restaurant that won’t break your budget
- The ability to rate and review establishments and contribute to the user experience
- Online ordering from some restaurants is available through Yelp’s sister site, Eat24
- Must be 18 years of age or older to use the website
- Users who have been banned previously or are a competitor may not access the website
User and business requirements:
- A valid email address
- A local address
- In substitution to the above information you can link your Facebook profile
Can I connect with friends on Yelp?
Yes, there are several ways to connect with friends. Some of these ways include: Facebook, searching by email, searching directly on the website, and searching contacts on your mobile device.
Are there any perks to checking in via a mobile device at a place of business?
Yelp does allow businesses to offer the incentive of a Check-In Offer. This is a way for them to reward customers for their continued business.
Does Yelp offer any deals or allow businesses to offer deals through their website?
Deals can be found on the website through the Offering a Deal filter. An example of a deal offered might be $100 worth of services for $50.
Can I edit a review once it has been published on the website?
Once you post a review on Yelp you can go back and edit mistakes or add to the experience you had.
Should I accept money or goods in exchange for writing a review?
Paying for a review is a violation of Yelp’s terms of service and should be reported.
Can I flag a review as inappropriate?
You should report a review that contains inappropriate material, does not focus on the reviewer’s own experience, or if there is an apparent conflict of interest between the reviewer and the business.
I’m a business owner and received a positive review, how do I respond?
The best way to respond to a positive review is to thank them in person the next time they come in. There is no need to go overboard, a simple thank you allows them to know their loyalty is appreciated.
Is there a way to give kudos to another user for a photo or review?
Yes, the compliment system allows you to directly send kudos to a user through their profile page or one of their reviews or photos.
Yelp allows customers to share their experiences and businesses to track reviews and customize their page. With various tools on the website, business owners can also create a landing page and even message customers.
What to watch out for
- Agencies sometimes will hire writers to create “fluff” reviews for businesses that are lower rated than they would like.
- As with any review sites, it can be difficult to authenticate every review. For this reason, there are sometimes agencies that will work with business owners to boost their Yelp rating in order to drive further business.
- Reviews can be deleted at the discretion of Yelp.
- Bad and good reviews alike can be taken down without the approval of the user who posted it.
Make sure to look at a wide breadth of the reviews submitted and not just the star-rating if you are concerned with getting the most accurate information.
How to apply
If you are a business owner looking to create a page or speak with customers, you can begin the process by going to Yelp’s website and adding your business to the directory or looking it up if it has already been listed.