Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Yelp – crowd-sourced reviews | finder.com review
Whether you are looking for the best place to eat in a far-away city or a hidden gem your hometown, Yelp has the information you need to make the best decision.
Here’s our attempt at reviewing a review site.
- Transparent consumer reviews give accurate snapshots of restaurants and other businesses in areas across the united states
- Ability to sort by match, rating, and most reviewed
- Sorting by neighborhood available
- Distance filters are broken down by driving, biking, and walking
- Price ranges help you choose a restaurant that won’t break your budget
- The ability to rate and review establishments and contribute to the user experience
- Online ordering from some restaurants is available through Yelp’s sister site, Eat24
- Must be 18 years of age or older to use the website
- Users who have been banned previously or are a competitor may not access the website
User and business requirements:
- A valid email address
- A local address
- In substitution to the above information you can link your Facebook profile
Yelp allows customers to share their experiences and businesses to track reviews and customize their page. With various tools on the website, business owners can also create a landing page and even message customers.
What to watch out for
- Agencies sometimes will hire writers to create “fluff” reviews for businesses that are lower rated than they would like.
- As with any review sites, it can be difficult to authenticate every review. For this reason, there are sometimes agencies that will work with business owners to boost their Yelp rating in order to drive further business.
- Reviews can be deleted at the discretion of Yelp.
- Bad and good reviews alike can be taken down without the approval of the user who posted it.
Make sure to look at a wide breadth of the reviews submitted and not just the star-rating if you are concerned with getting the most accurate information.
How to apply
If you are a business owner looking to create a page or speak with customers, you can begin the process by going to Yelp’s website and adding your business to the directory or looking it up if it has already been listed.
Frequently asked questions
Can I connect with friends on Yelp?
Yes, there are several ways to connect with friends. Some of these ways include: Facebook, searching by email, searching directly on the website, and searching contacts on your mobile device.
Is there a way to give kudos to another user for a photo or review?
Yes, the compliment system allows you to directly send kudos to a user through their profile page or one of their reviews or photos.
Are there any perks to checking in via a mobile device at a place of business?
Yelp does allow businesses to offer the incentive of a Check-In Offer. This is a way for them to reward customers for their continued business.
Can I flag a review as inappropriate?
You should report a review that contains inappropriate material, does not focus on the reviewer’s own experience, or if there is an apparent conflict of interest between the reviewer and the business.
I’m a business owner and received a positive review. How do I respond?
The best way to respond to a positive review is to thank them in person the next time they come in. There is no need to go overboard; a simple thank you allows them to know their loyalty is appreciated.
More guides on Finder
Review: Venmo app for cryptocurrency
Venmo provides a convenient way to send money to friends, and now users can buy cryptocurrency like Bitcoin with as little as $1.
Best bank accounts for freelancers and the self-employed
Compare the five best bank accounts for self-employed professionals and freelancers.
Binance vs Coinbase: Which is best for you?
Binance and Coinbase are two titans of cryptocurrency – let’s see how the two stack up and find out which suits your needs.
How the Restaurant Revitalization Fund works
The Restaurant Revitalization Grant offers grants of up to $10 million to make up for revenue lost during COVID-19.
Best online banks for 2021
Thinking of going digital? This one’s for you.
Finder Editorial Review Board Member: Douglas E. Noll, JD, MA
Award-winning lawyer, mediator and author with over 40 years in the legal industry.
Lemonade life insurance review
This fintech just branched out into low-cost life insurance — but its lineup is limited.
Best business credit cards for 2021
Here are our top picks for 2021.
Most fashionable cities in the US
Is your town on fleek, c’est chic or just plain meek? Finder explores the most fashionable cities in the United States.
Fast track your savings goals with this automation and budgeting app.
Ask an Expert