Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Xpress Money review
Get instant transfers to more than 160 countries — but only if you live in Chicago.
Updated . What changed?
Xpress Money offers fast transfers, but high fees and limited availability mean that most US senders will be better off with a different provider.
Must read: Limited availability for US senders
Xpress Money’s only US location is in Chicago. The company doesn’t have the option to send online, meaning that visiting the agent location in Chicago is the only way to use this provider.
If you’re not located in the Chicago area, compare providers that are more widely available in the US.
- Instant transfers
- Convenient payout options
- Competitive exchange rates
Not so great for
- Transfer fees
- Paying with bank account or credit card
Compare Xpress Money to other brands
Since Xpress Money offers limited availability to US customers, you can find similar providers who can help you send a transfer here.
What's in this guide?
- Compare Xpress Money to other brands
- How much will I pay to send with Xpress Money?
- How are Xpress Money's exchange rates?
- What types of transfers does Xpress Money support?
- Benefits and drawbacks
- How long does a transfer with Xpress Money take?
- What payment methods does Xpress Money accept?
- Available currencies
- Is Xpress Money safe to use?
- How do I send money through Xpress Money?
- What is Xpress Money?
- Bottom line
- Frequently asked questions
How much will I pay to send with Xpress Money?
The fee amount varies depending on the currency you’re sending, the size of the transaction and how your beneficiary will receive the funds. To find out exactly how much you’ll pay, you’ll need to call or visit an agent location.
How are Xpress Money’s exchange rates?
Xpress Money adds a margin on top of the mid-market exchange rate before selling currency on to you. Even so, these rates are typically better than what you would get from your bank, meaning more of the money you send makes it to your recipient.
Indicative exchange rates are listed on the Xpress Money website, but you’ll need to visit your nearest Xpress Money location to confirm the rate that will apply to your transaction.
What types of transfers does Xpress Money support?
Transfer methods vary by country. Depending on where your recipient lives, options may include:
- Bank account transfer. You can deposit funds directly into your recipient’s overseas bank account.
- Cash pickup. Your recipient can collect the cash you send from more than 160,000 Xpress Money partner locations around the world.
- Home delivery. The cash you send can be delivered to your recipient at their home address.
- Mobile wallet transfer. The funds you send can be deposited directly into your recipient’s mobile wallet.
Benefits and drawbacks
- Send to 160+ countries. Xpress Money allows you to transfer funds to more than 160 countries, making it easy to send money all around the world.
- Competitive exchange rates. The exchange rates on offer from Xpress Money are generally better than those you can get from your bank.
- Multiple payout options. From bank transfer to cash pick-up and home delivery, your recipient can access the money you send in several ways.
- Transfer fees. Xpress Money charges higher transaction fees than some other money transfer services, so you may be able to find better value elsewhere. However, remember that you’ll also need to consider the exchange rate when calculating the total cost of a transaction.
- Lack of alternative payment options. Xpress Money is a cash transfer service and does not accept bank account transfers. There’s no mention on the company’s website about whether credit card payments are accepted.
- Customer service. While the website offers a chat feature, it’s automated and it can be difficult to get through to a person. The Facebook Messenger chat feature is also automated.
- Availability for US users. The only agent location in the US is in Chicago, so if you live elsewhere, you’ll want to use another provider.
How long does a transfer with Xpress Money take?
Xpress Money offers instant money transfers, with the money you send typically available within minutes.
However, if you’re sending funds that will be delivered to your recipient’s home, the transfer will take longer to process.
What payment methods does Xpress Money accept?
Xpress Money accepts cash payment only.
Xpress Money offers fast transfers to more than 160 countries. Supported currencies include the following:
- BDT Bangladeshi taka
- CAD Canadian dollar
- EUR Euro
- GBP British pound
- INR Indian rupee
- NZD New Zealand dollar
- PHP Philippine peso
- USD US dollar
How do I send money through Xpress Money?
You can send a transfer by completing the following steps:
- Visit your nearest Xpress Money branch.
- Provide your recipient’s name and contact details and specify how they will receive the money you send. If sending to a bank account, you’ll need to supply your recipient’s bank account details as well.
- Pay for your transfer.
- Share the 16-digit XPIN with your beneficiary and then track the transaction online or via SMS alerts.
What is Xpress Money?
Launched in London in 1999, Xpress Money is an instant money transfer service that offers convenient transfers to more than 160 countries. It is part of the UAE Exchange group of companies, which itself was launched in 1980 and has served more than 15 million customers around the world. This UAE-based company also offers the Unimoni online transfer service.
Xpress Money offers fast transfers, but US residents outside of Chicago won’t be able to send money. Compare money transfer providers to find a company that fits your needs and is more widely available.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Finder Editorial Review Board Member: Randolph Rice, JD
An assistant state’s attorney turned trial lawyer, Rice has tried thousands of cases over his 15-year career.
CIT Savings Connect account review
CIT Savings Connect combines aspects of a checking and savings account in one product.
Should you sell on Poshmark or Tradesy?
Compare pros and cons of selling on Poshmark vs. Tradesy to help you get the most for your secondhand clothing, shoes and accessories.
Best credit cards for rewards in 2021
Take advantage of miles, points and perks with a card that best fits your lifestyle.
Best balance transfer credit cards of 2021
Here are our top balance transfer picks for 2021.
Best business credit cards for 2021
Here are our top picks for 2021.
Sigue international money transfers review
Sigue offers speedy money transfers to 50+ countries, but you have to set up a transfer to see the transaction fees.
Fast track your savings goals with this automation and budgeting app.
Best secured credit cards of 2021
Our top picks can help you build your credit without paying sky-high fees.
Best student credit cards
Our top picks for cards across 7 student categories, including international students, first-time cardholders and cashback.
Ask an Expert