Transfers typically take
Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own. Advertiser Disclosure
Xoom money transfer review
Learn how this PayPal-owned company can help you move money around the world.
Xoom is an international money transfer service that sits under the PayPal umbrella. If you already use PayPal, Xoom is a convenient next step. Although the fees and exchange rates are worse than many competitors, the convenience of sending money from your PayPal balance may be worth it for some users. It provides PayPal account holders with easy and convenient ways to send money abroad, including bank transfers, cash pickup options and even door to door delivery. Added to this, Xoom has a money-back guarantee if your money doesn’t reach its destination.
Why should I consider Xoom?
- Money-back guarantee. Xoom offers a money-back guarantee to refund your transaction in full if the money you send doesn’t arrive at your recipient.
- Multiple transfer options. You can choose between sending funds via a bank transfer, sending cash for pickup or having cash delivered directly to your recipient’s door.
- Transfer tracking. You’ll receive a text message when your money arrives. Xoom will also email you and your recipient to keep you both informed of the transfer’s progress. You can also log into your account to track your transaction, or call customers service and receive an update from a live representative.
- 24/7 support. Phone and email support is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week if you need help with a transaction.
What to be aware of
- Requires government-issued ID. You’ll need to upload a government-issued ID, like a license or passport, and a recent bank statement to send money for the first time.
- Transfer limits. Xoom has limits in place for how much you can send. It operates on three different levels, with customers required to provide additional information if they want to send larger amounts.
- Exchange rate markup and fees. Xoom adds markup on the mid-market rate and charges additional fees.
How much are Xoom’s fees?
Xoom’s fees depend on what type of transfer you are making and how you plan to pay for your transfer. Here’s a roundup of some of the factors that could impact how much you have to pay:
- Payment. Paying by bank transfer is the cheapest option while paying by credit card will have higher fees. Additional cash advance fees may also be charged to your credit card.
- Recipient’s location. Where you are sending funds will also affect the fees you are charged.
- Amount. Different fees are charged based on how much you’re sending.
- Delivery. To send cash, fees are generally higher, while receiving money to a bank account is often less expensive.
Here’s an example of Xoom fees you might see while sending $1,000 to Mexico or India, accurate of as March 1, 2022.
|Mexico||PayPal balance or bank account||$0|
|Mexico||Credit or debit card||$3.99|
|India||PayPal balance or bank account||$0|
|India||Credit or debit card||$30.49|
You can use Xoom’s Fees and Exchange Rate Calculator to see the fees that apply to your transfer destination and amount.
How are Xoom’s exchange rates?
The exchange rate offered by Xoom may change depending on the amount of money you’re sending. Here are the rates when we checked on March 1, 2022 for sending USD to INR through Xoom:
|Sending amount||Xoom rate||Mid-market rate||Markup|
|$10 – $50||73.4456||75.59||2.92%|
|$51 – $1,989||74.1940||75.59||1.88%|
|$1,990 – $1,999||74.2701||75.59||1.78%|
|$2,000 – $9,999||74.6432||75.59||1.27%|
As we have done above, it is best to compare the displayed rate on Xoom with the current mid-market rate to work out the size of the margin charged. You can also then use the interbank rate as a benchmark for comparing rates of other money transfer providers.
What are the ways I can send money abroad with Xoom?
Xoom has three ways you can send money abroad, including cash pickup options which means your beneficiary could receive their funds almost instantly.
- Bank deposit. You can send money to bank accounts in more than 150 countries and territories worldwide.
- Cash pickup. Send your funds as a cash pickup at thousands of partner locations around the world.
- Doorstep delivery. Xoom also allows you to have cash delivered directly to your recipient’s door.
How to send money transfer with Xoom
Before you can send funds with Xoom, you must register for a free account with your personal contact information. While you don’t need to enter a Social Security number at sign-up, Xoom does require you to upload a government-issued ID, like a license or passport, and a recent bank statement if you want to send higher amounts.
What are Xoom’s payment options?
Xoom transfers can be paid for in a few different ways when sending from the United States, including:
- Bank account transfer
- Credit or debit card
- PayPal balance
Each payment method may have different fees depending on your sending destination, but overall paying with a bank account or PayPal balance tends to be the cheapest option.
How long does an international transfer with Xoom take?
Transfer times depend on how you pay and how the money is received:
Fastest option – nearly instant
While you may pay more in fees when you use a credit or debit card to pay for your transaction, your money should arrive in as little as 15 minutes, if not instantly. Just keep in mind, some destinations may take longer to receive money, even when paying by credit or debit card.
Cheapest option – up to 4 business days
Using a bank account to pay for your transfer is often the cheapest way to send money, but it’s the slowest. It can take up to 4 business days for your money to arrive.
What are Xoom’s sending limits?
Xoom separates accounts into three levels based on how much verification you’ve given. For US residents, it looks like:
|Level||24-hour limit||30-day limit||180-day limit||Required information and documents|
|1||2,999 USD||6,000 USD||9,999 USD||Email and phone number|
|2||10,000 USD||20,000 USD||30,000 USD||Social Security number or passport|
|3||50,000 USD||60,000 USD||100,000 USD|
Is Xoom safe?
Xoom’s parent company, PayPal, is one of the most well-known payment systems. Xoom has additional measures to protect your money while using the service:
- Encryption: Xoom uses 128-bit data security encryption for its entire website.
- Regulation: Xoom shares all the same regulations and licenses held by PayPal.
- Money-back guarantee: Xoom guarantees that your money will be received by your recipient, and if it isn’t the transaction will be refunded in full.
How does Xoom compare to other money transfer services?
If you want to see how Xoom compares to the exchange rates and fees offered by other money transfer services, enter the details of your transaction into the table below.
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Dunbridge Financial international money transfers review
Sign up for an account and pay no fees to send quick and easy money transfers to multiple beneficiaries.
Sigue international money transfers review
Sigue offers speedy money transfers to 50+ countries, but you have to set up a transfer to see the transaction fees.
Boss Revolution money transfer review
Join Boss Revolution with an email address and phone number, and send money within minutes.
Usend combines money transfers, bill pay and mobile phone reloading.
Paysend offers transfers to more than 70 countries through its app and online service.
Review: Boxypay international money transfers
Pairing international calls with money transfers makes Boxypay a unique choice.
How do international money orders work?
Using international money orders to send money overseas? Learn about better options.
What is a remittance address?
Sending a payment to a company but confused about which address to use? Learn about remittance addresses with our guide.
US remittance statistics
We’ve unpacked the most recently available data from the World Bank to get an idea of how much money is being sent around the globe.
Learn about how TransferMate’s personal product works and what it can do for you.
Ask an Expert