Xoom money transfer review
Learn how this PayPal-owned company can help you move money around the world.
finder.com’s rating: 3.75 / 5.0
Speed: 4.0 / 5.0
Services: 3.0 / 5.0
User experience: 5.0 / 5.0
- Pick this if you already have a PayPal account or need to send money without ID verification.
- Pick something else if you want a better exchange rate for your money transfer.
Fastest Transfer Speed
Minimum Transfer Amount
Maximum Transfer Amount
Why should I use Xoom?
- Transfer tracking. You’ll receive a text message when your money arrives. Xoom will also email you and your recipient to keep you both informed of the transfer’s progress. You can log on to your account any time and track the transaction there, or call customer service and receive an update from a live representative.
- Money-back guarantee. Xoom offers a money-back guarantee to refund your transaction in full if the money you send doesn’t arrive to your recipient.
- 24/7 support. Phone and email support is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week if you need help with a transaction.
What to be aware of with Xoom
- Requires government-issued ID. You’ll need to upload a government-issued ID, like a license or passport, and a recent bank statement to send money.
- No live chat option. Though you can call or email Xoom for 24/7 customer support.
- Exchange rate markup and fees. Xoom adds a markup on the mid-market rate and charges additional fees.
Xoom’s exchange rates and fees
Sending online or through an agent location will change how much Xoom costs. But for online transfers, Xoom fees depend on:
- Payment. Paying by bank transfer is the cheapest option while paying by credit card will have higher fees. Additional cash advance fees may also be charged to your credit card.
- Recipient’s location. Fees depend on where you’re sending to.
- Amount. Different fees are charged based on how much you’re sending.
- Delivery. To send cash, fees are generally higher, while receiving money to a bank account is often less expensive.
Here’s an example of Xoom fees you might see while sending $1,000 to Mexico or India for bank deposit:
|Mexico||PayPal balance or bank account||$0|
|Mexico||Credit or debit card||$3.99|
|India||PayPal balance or bank account||$0|
|India||Credit or debit card||$30.49|
Accurate as of July 1, 2020.
There are some situations when transfer fees will be waived, such as if you send $1,000 or more to India and pay using your bank account. Use Xoom’s Fees and Exchange Rate Calculator to see the fees that apply to your transfer destination and amount.
Xoom’s exchange rate
The exchange rate offered by Xoom may change depending on the amount of money you’re sending. Here are the rates when we checked on April 15, 2020, for sending USD to INR through Xoom:
|Sending amount||Xoom rate||Mid-market rate||Markup|
|$10 – $50||74.5144||76.58||2.77%|
|$51 – $1,989||75.2732||76.58||1.74%|
|$1,990 – $1,999||75.2743 – 75.6147||76.58||1.73% – 1.28%|
|$2,000 – $9,970||75.6526||76.58||1.23%|
|$9,971 – $9,999||75.6602 – 75.8726||76.58||1.22% – 0.93%|
Although Xoom offers more competitive exchange rates as you send more money, it should be noted that when paying with a credit or debit card the fees also increase. When we checked, sending $5,000 to India through Xoom and paying with a credit card will cost you $151.49 in fees.
How long does a Xoom transfer take?
Turnaround time on your Xoom transfer depends on how you pay and how the money is received:
Fastest option — nearly instant
Pay for your transfer with a credit card, debit card or PayPal balance. You’ll pay more in fees, but your money arrives in as little as 15 minutes, if not instantly. Your credit card might charge you an additional cash advance fee, further increasing the cost of your total transfer. Some destinations may take longer to receive money, even when paying by credit or debit card.
Cheapest option — up to 4 business days
Using a bank account to pay for your transfer is often the cheapest way to send money, but it’s the slowest. Sending money to your recipient’s bank account may also delay the transfer time.
Xoom reviews and complaints
Reviews accurate as of October 13, 2020.
Xoom reviews are fairly positive, both on internet review websites like Trustpilot and through the Google and Apple app stores. Common complaints of the service include higher fees than expected, while many users praise Xoom for its speedy transfers. Overall, Xoom reviews indicate that it is worth checking prices and considering using the service if the price is right.
|Trustpilot||4.5 out of 5 — based on 21,582 customer reviews|
|CompareRemit||4.4 out of 5 — based on 1,908 customer reviews|
|BBB rating||A+ — based on BBB’s internal rating system|
|Monito||7 out of 10 — based on staff reviews|
|NerdWallet||3.5 out of 5 — based on staff reviews|
|Finder.com||3.8 out of 5 — based on staff reviews|
What currencies can I send with Xoom?
Xoom can send to more than 150 countries and territories worldwide. Xoom can be sent from residents in the United States, Canada, the UK, and select countries in Europe. You can look at the full list of currencies here, but some of the popular currencies that Xoom supports include:
- Australian dollar (AUD)
- Bangladesh taka (BDT)
- Brazilian real (BRL)
- Dominican peso (DOP)
- Egyptian pound (EGP)
- Indian rupee (INR)
- Mexican peso (MXN)
- Philippine peso (PHP)
What are Xoom’s sending limits?
Xoom separates accounts into three levels based on how much verification you’ve given. For US residents, it looks like:
|Level||24-hour limit||30-day limit||180-day limit||Required information and documents|
|1||2,999 USD||6,000 USD||9,999 USD||Email and phone number|
|2||10,000 USD||20,000 USD||30,000 USD||Social Security number or passport|
|3||50,000 USD||60,000 USD||100,000 USD|
Is PayPal Xoom?
Xoom is a PayPal service, and is owned and operated by PayPal. Users who already have and use PayPal accounts can integrate their existing accounts into Xoom to send money around the world. Recipients of Xoom transfers do not need to create a PayPal account in order to receive money.
Is Xoom safe?
Xoom’s parent company, PayPal, is one of the most well-known payment systems. Xoom has additional measures to protect your money while using the service:
- Encryption: Xoom uses 128-bit data security encryption for its entire website.
- Regulation: Xoom shares all the same regulations and licenses held by PayPal.
- Money-back guarantee: Xoom guarantees that your money will be received by your recipient, and if it isn’t the transaction will be refunded in full.
Case study: Our experience transferring money with Xoom
Here’s what we found when we sent live transfers to Mexico and France through Xoom:
- We paid low fees and received competitive rates within 2.4% of the mid-market rate on average, with rates updated multiple times a day.
- Our transfer to France arrived ahead of schedule, while our funds were deposited into our recipient’s Mexican bank account within 24 hours.
- Xoom’s easy-to-use website allowed us to sign up and initiate a transfer in just about 3.5 minutes.
What payment methods does Xoom accept?
Xoom transfers can be paid for in a few different ways when sending from the United States, including:
- Bank account transfer
- Credit or debit card
- PayPal balance
Each payment method may have different fees depending on your sending destination, but overall paying with a bank account or PayPal balance tends to be the cheapest option.
How do I send money through Xoom?
Before you can send funds with Xoom, you must register for a free account with your personal contact information. While you don’t need to enter a Social Security number at sign-up, Xoom requires you to upload a government-issued ID, like a license or passport, and a recent bank statement if you want to send higher amounts.
Steps to send a money transfer with Xoom
- Sign up for a free Xoom account
- Choose the country you’re sending to, enter the amount you want to send and choose your payment method.
- Enter the recipient’s information, including full name, address and bank account information.
- Verify all the details of the transfer, and consider comparing the rate against other money transfer companies.
- If you’re satisfied with the rate, confirm the transfer to send the money.
What do you need to send money through Xoom?
- Amount to be sent and currency it will be converted to
- A valid payment method — credit card, debit card or bank account
- The recipient’s name, address and bank name and account number
- Your phone number and address
Is there a Xoom app?
Xoom has an app on both Google Play and the App Store. The app makes it possible to:
- Quick send. Use existing contacts to quickly send money with a few swipes and taps.
- Track orders. The status of your transfer is quickly accessible through the app.
- See fees and exchange rates. An in-app fee and exchange rate calculator will help you determine the cost of your next transfer through Xoom.
|Google Play Store||4 out of 5 — based on 47,344 customer ratings|
|Apple App Store||4.8 out of 5 — based on 554,600 customer ratings|
Ratings accurate as of April 15, 2020
Xoom’s money transfer options are worth considering when you need to send money overseas. Just make sure to compare its services with those of a number of other providers before deciding on the right money transfer company to handle your transactions.
How does Xoom compare to other services?
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Want to compare Remitly with other services side-by-side?
Frequently asked questions
What are the ways I can send money with Xoom?
Can I use Xoom to send money for business purposes?
Can I schedule a money transfer in advance?
How can I track my transfer?
How do I cancel my transfer?
Zak Killermann is a writer at Finder who’s been specializing in cryptocurrencies and blockchain technology for four years — covering everything from ICO booms, crypto winters, memecoins and more. He’s mined and minted cryptocurrencies, and remembers the days when DOGE was just for fun. Zak’s focus is in breaking down technical concepts (like yellow papers) for the average folk to digest on their morning commute. Before diving into all things crypto, Zak contributed to Finder’s money transfers vertical.
If you already use PayPal, Xoom is a convenient next step. Although the fees and exchange rates are worse than many competitors, the convenience of sending money from your PayPal balance may be worth it for some users. Plus, Xoom sends to 150 different countries, which is more than most other services.
For those who prefer to do things through their phone, Xoom’s mobile app is streamlined and easy to use, allowing you to create a transfer and have it on its way in minutes.