Xoom international money transfer review
Track your transfers to know exactly when your money arrives.
finder.com’s rating: 3.75 / 5.0
Speed: 4.0 / 5.0
Services: 3.0 / 5.0
User experience: 5.0 / 5.0
Xoom offers low fees and a money-back guarantee that your recipient will receive your funds, but the service isn’t available in every country.
Min. Transfer Amount
Max. Transfer Amount
Within an hour
|Product Name||Xoom International Money Transfers|
|Min. Transfer Amount||USD 10|
|Max. Transfer Amount||USD 10,000|
|Transfer Methods||Online, Bank Account to Bank Account|
Minimum transfer time
|Within an hour|
|Customer Service||Phone, Email|
|Available Currencies||ARS, AUD, BDT, BOB, BRL, CAD, CLP, CNY, COP, CRC, DOP, EUR, GBP, GTQ, GYD, HKD, HNL, HTG, INR, JMD, JPY, KES, LKR, MXN, NIO, NPR, PEN, PHP, PKR, PLN, SGD, USD, UYU, VND, ZAR|
|Online Transfer Fee||USD 0|
|Phone Transfer Fee||USD 0|
Our experience transferring money with XoomHere’s what we found when we sent live transfers to Mexico and France through Xoom:
- We paid low fees and received competitive rates within 2.4% of the mid-market rate on average, with rates updated multiple times a day.
- Our transfer to France arrived ahead of schedule, while our funds were deposited into our recipient’s Mexican bank account within 24 hours.
- Xoom’s easy-to-use website allowed us to sign up and initiate a transfer in just about 3.5 minutes.
How much does it cost to transfer money with Xoom?
The fees that apply to Xoom international money transfers vary depending on a range of factors, including how you pay for your transfer, where you’re sending your funds and the amount of money you send. While it’s possible to pay for your transaction using a credit card or debit card, you can enjoy lower fees when you pay using your US bank account.
Here’s an example of the different fees you might see if you sent $1,000 to Mexico or India:
|Mexico||Credit or debit card||$24.99|
|India||Credit or debit card||$30.49|
There are some situations when transfer fees will be waived, such as if you send $1,000 or more to India and pay using your bank account. Use Xoom’s online Fees and Exchange Rate Calculator to see the fees that apply to your transfer destination and amount.
How are Xoom’s exchange rates?
Xoom makes money through transaction fees and by charging above the mid-market rate.
For example, if you are transferring money to Italy:
- You’ll pay a transaction fee depending on which payment method you use ($4.99 through a bank account or $10.99 through a debit or credit card).
- Your money may be converted at a rate of 1 USD = 0.93 EUR, instead of 1 USD = 0.96 EUR.
Send money where you need it across the world.
You can send money using your credit card, debit card or US bank account. At this time, Xoom does not offer the flexibility of rate locks, forward orders or recurring transfers.
Xoom offers three options when it comes to your recipient collecting the cash you send: cash pickup, bank deposit and home delivery. However, the method you choose may depend on where you are sending your funds.
- Send money. With Xoom you can send money in seconds to 70 countries around the world anytime, anywhere. They offer minimal fees and competitive exchange rates.
- Reload phones. Xoom allows you to reload the phones of friends and family members in 35 countries around the world.
- Pay bills. Xoom’s bill paying service makes it easy to pay bills overseas from within the US.
Pros and cons of using Xoom
- 24/7 support. Phone and email support is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week if you need help with a transaction.
- Competitive and affordable. Compare the exchange rates and fees charged by Xoom with those of other money transfer providers to determine how affordable this service is.
- Safe and secure. Xoom uses 128-bit encryption to secure your funds, while its money-back guarantee provides extra peace of mind.
- Track your transfers. Receive a text message when your money arrives. Xoom will also email you and your recipient to keep you both informed of the transfer’s progress. You can also log on to your account any time and track the transaction there. Or call customer service and receive an update from a live representative.
- Money-back guarantee. Xoom offers a money-back guarantee to refund your transaction in full if the money you send doesn’t arrive to your recipient.
- Not worldwide. You will need to look elsewhere if you want to send money to a country that Xoom does not currently service.
- Requires government-issued ID. You’ll need to upload a government-issued ID — like a license or passport — and a recent bank statement to send money, which could deter those without either form of ID.
- No live chat option. Though you can call or email Xoom for 24/7 customer support.
How does Xoom compare to other services?
The registration and transfer process
Before you can send funds with Xoom, you must register for a free account with your personal contact information. While you don’t need to enter a Social Security number at sign-up, Xoom requires you to upload a government-issued ID — like a license or passport — and a recent bank statement to send money, which could deter those without either form of ID.
The next step in the process is to enter details about your recipient, including their name, address and bank account details. You’ll also have to select whether you will pay via credit card, debit card or bank account and enter your payment details.
After reviewing the details of your transaction, including the exchange rate and fee that applies, you confirm and send the funds. Xoom will notify both you and your recipient of your transfer’s progress.
What you need to send money through Xoom
- Amount to be sent and currency it will be converted to
- A valid payment method — credit card, debit card or bank account
- The recipient’s name, address and bank name and account number
- Your phone number and address
Steps to send a money transfer with Xoom
Track your transfer
You can opt to receive text updates or email notifications. Alternatively, you can review the transfer status on the Xoom platform or by calling Xoom support. Most transfers are completed within a few minutes, but it may take up to four business days.
Cancel your transfer
Cancellations are easy and don’t require a fee. To cancel a request either log on to your Xoom account and go to the Track my transaction page, or call Xoom Customer Service toll free at 1-877-815-1531.
Transfers that have not been deposited, picked up, delivered or paid to your recipient may be canceled. Refunds generally take three business days to be issued and one to four business days to be processed and deposited or credited to your account or card, respectively.
Looking for an alternative? Check out these services similar to Xoom.
Xoom’s money transfer options are worth considering when you need to send money overseas. Just make sure to compare its services with those of a number of other providers before deciding on the right money transfer company to handle your transactions.