We know that everyone's situation is unique and we aim to help you find the right product for you. We may receive compensation when you visit our partners' sites or are approved for their products. You can read more about how we maintain editorial independence and how we make money here.
This card is no longer offered. Please click here to find a card that’s right for you.
A good choice if you support the Wounded Warrior Project or are about to go into active military duty.
|Product Name||Wounded Warrior Project USAA Rewards™ Credit Card|
|Intro APR for Balance Transfer||0% Intro APR for 12 months (with amount of each transfer: maximum fee per transfer $200 or 3% balance transfer fee)|
|Balance Transfer Rate (not intro)||12.40% to 27.40% variable|
|APR for Purchases ( Purchase Rate )||12.40% to 27.40% variable|
|Cash Advance Rate||12.40% to 27.40% variable|
|Card Type||American Express/Visa|
|Interest Free Period|
The interest-free period on purchases is the period or number of days you do not have to pay interest on your card purchases. You will be charged interest either from the day you make a purchase or from the statement date, unless you pay the closing balance in full by the due date (or within the interest-free period) on your statement.
|Up to 25 days|
|Returned Payment Fee||$35|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee (VISA)|
Foreign currency conversion fees are charged when you make a transaction that is converted by a credit card network, such as MasterCard, Visa or American Express, from Australian dollars to a foreign currency. You’ll also incur a currency conversion fee if you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance in Australian dollars while overseas or shopping online with a foreign merchant or financial institution.
|0% of transaction value|
|Minimum Credit Score||Fair (660-699)|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Returned Payment Fee||$35|
|Over The Credit Line Fee||$0|
|Late Payment Fee||$35|
|Cash Advance Fee||3% of the amount of each cash advance (maximum fee for each convenience check: $200). Fee waived when transferring funds electronically to a USAA deposit account.|
The Wounded Warrior Project USAA Rewards™ Credit Card comes with $0 annual fee, and it offers a decent balance transfer promotion of 0% APR for 12 months.
However, you’ll receive just 1x points on all purchases, which is equivalent to 1% cash back. Meanwhile, there are cards that offer 1.5% and 2% cash back, such as the U.S. Bank Cash 365™ American Express® Card and Citi® Double Cash Card.
Other cards also come with better signup bonuses. The Wounded Warrior Project USAA Rewards™ Credit Card offers 2,500 points — worth $25 — while you’ll find cards that offer $150 bonus cash, like the BankAmericard Cash Rewards or U.S. Bank Cash 365™ American Express® Card.
Why you should get the Wounded Warrior Project USAA Rewards™ Credit Card
There are two key reasons you might give this card a serious look:
- You’re a passionate supporter of the Wounded Warrior Project. Each time you make an eligible purchase, USAA will make a donation to the organization.
- You are being deployed or have received a permanent change of station (PCS) order. You’ll receive a special interest rate of 4% APR for 12 months.
Bottom line: The Wounded Warrior Project USAA Rewards™ Credit Card isn’t the most powerful product. But it’s carved out a unique position in the market, and it could be the perfect card for you depending on your interests and deployment status.
Should you get the WOUNDED WARRIOR PROJECT USAA REWARDS CREDIT CARD?
- If you want a card that offers a top-of-the-line signup bonus, cash back rate and 0% interest period, look for another card.
- If you want a card that supports the Wounded Warrior Project, you’ve found the right product.
- If you want a special interest rate for deployment or permanent change of station, the USAA card is a good choice.
- ANNUAL FEE: $0 annual fee makes it easy to keep the Wounded Warrior Project USAA Rewards™ Credit Card long term.
- INTRO APR: 0% on balance transfers for 12 months.
This is a decent balance transfer promotion, though it’s not the longest you’ll find. For a stronger zero-interest period, consider the Citi Simplicity® Card or Citi® Diamond Preferred® Card.
- REWARDS: Earn points on every purchase.
You’ll earn 1 point per dollar you spend on all purchases. Redeem points for:
- 1% cash back.
- Travel, gift cards and merchandise.
- Reward donations to a military affiliate group.
It’s nice to have rewards, but you’ll earn more with other cards. For example, the Citi® Double Cash Card offers 2% cash back on all purchases.
- Donations to the Wounded Warrior Project.
You can support the Wounded Warrior Project (WWP) with this card.
|When you …||USAA will donate this amount to Wounded Warrior Project|
|Open your credit card||$5|
|Renew your card||$1|
|Use your card for a purchase||0.30% of the transaction amount|
- Special interest rate for deployment and active duty.
USAA offers a special interest rate depending on your deployment status.
- Deployment/Permanent Change of Station (PCS) rate: Get 4% APR on all balances for up to 12 months during deployment or PCS.
- Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) rate: If you have a balance on your account when you enter active military duty, you’ll get 4% APR on it until one year after you complete active duty.
The average APR is around 16%, so 4% APR is a great deal. It can be especially useful if you need to make a big purchase now and pay for it over time.
You’ll also like …
- SIGNUP BONUS: 2,500 points after your first purchase.
A signup bonus of 2,500 points is worth $25 cash back. You’ll find better signup bonuses with cards like the U.S. Bank Cash 365™ American Express® Card and BankAmericard Cash Rewards™ Credit Card, which each offers $150 bonus cash.
To be fair, the USAA card’s signup bonus is easy to obtain: Just use your card for the first time.
- Potentially low APR.
Depending on your credit score, you may qualify for a regular APR as low as 12.4%.
- No foreign transaction fees.
- No penalty APR.
- No over-the-credit-limit fee.
- Concierge services to assist you with your travel or big-ticket purchases.
- Car rental coverage.
- Extended warranties on products you buy with your card.
- Travel accident insurance.
No annual fee credit card deals
How does a balance transfer work with this card?
What to watch out for
- Potentially high APR.
If you have a weaker credit history, you may be given an interest rate up to 27.4%.
How does credit card interest work?
What to know before you apply
To apply for the Wounded Warrior Project USAA Rewards™ Credit Card, you must be a US citizen or permanent resident and at least 18 years old.
You must be a member of USAA. You’re eligible if you serve in the military or have previously served. You may also qualify through other means, such as if your spouse served in the military or is a USAA member.
Always consider your options and your financial situation before you apply for a credit card.
Information you’ll need
- Your full name and contact information.
- Your residential status.
- Your annual income, source of income and employment information.
- Your Social Security number.
What credit score do I need?
You’ll have a better chance of being approved for this card if you apply with a good to excellent credit score of 680 to 850.
What’s a good credit score?
How to apply for the Wounded Warrior Project USAA Rewards™ Credit Card
1. Go to the USAA website and click Apply Now. Then click USAA Rewards Visa.
2. Select whether you’re a USAA member. If you are, you’ll be asked to enter your login credentials. If you’re not, you can sign up to become one as long as you meet the eligibility requirements.
3. Complete the application with details like your name, address, annual income and Social Security number.
4. Review and submit your application.
How long will it take to be approved?
Typically, USAA will send you a decision within five to seven days. If there are issues with your application, however, it may take up to several weeks to hear back.
I got the card. Now what?
- Make timely payments. Pay your card bill online at the USAA website, where you can enroll in autopay.
- Avoid interest. After the close of each billing cycle, you have a grace period of at least 25 days to pay your balance. If you do, you won’t pay interest on your purchases.
- Avoid fees. Late and returned payments come with fees of up to $35. Balance transfers and cash advances also come with fees.
- Contact customer service. If you have questions, call USAA at 800-531-8722.
The Wounded Warrior Project USAA Rewards™ Credit Card is overpowered by other cards on the market, but it still offers solid benefits. It’s also a good choice if you want to support the Wounded Warrior Project through your spending.
If you’re about to go into active military duty, the card may be an especially good choice as you’ll receive 4% APR for a year.
Want to compare other options? Visit our comprehensive guide to credit cards to find one that better suits your needs.
Frequently asked questions