A feature-rich platform for building your online presence.
Wix is a website and e-commerce host accessible to people of all skill levels. Its drag-and-drop editing tools and AI-powered assistant turn a potentially intimidating task — designing a website — into an enjoyable experience. However, professional web designers and enterprises with complex customization needs may want to look elsewhere.
- Choose this provider if you need a DIY website and like the idea of starting from a template.
- Consider something else if you’re a web designer that prefers designing sites from scratch.
- Current offer: Premium plans come with a 14-day trial period.
|Products||Website builder, Inventory tracking|
|Monthly fees start at||$14/month|
|Processing fees start at||2.9% plus 0.3% per transaction - For US sales|
With Wix, you have three options when it comes to building your website:
- Standard drag-and-drop editor. Choose a template and make it yours by adding images and tweaking the colors and fonts.
- Wix ADI. Its AI-powered system designs a website for you based on your site content and overall objectives.
- Corvid by Wix. Its advanced platform where you can build web applications and connect to APIs by writing your own code.
Wix offers a full suite of e-commerce tools so you can track orders, sell goods, manage your inventory, offer coupons and discounts — and more.
After your site is live, you could take advantage of more than 250 apps, SEO analytics, email marketing and support for:
- Restaurants. Create menus, facilitate online ordering, and allow customers to book a table online.
- Events. Make customized invitations, track guest RSVPs, and sell tickets right from your website.
- Video channels. Curate a branded video channel by uploading content from your computer, YouTube, Vimeo and Facebook, then sell or rent monthly subscriptions to your followers.
- Photography. Display photos in an online gallery, with the option to add a watermark or password to protect your images.
- Blogs. Share your brand with the world by posting articles, and add multiple contributors for further reach.
- Original music. Use its customizable music player to share and sell your original tunes, and see data about your audience’s listening habits.
- Online customer booking. Allow customers to reserve class time, appointments or private services through the booking feature, complete with auto-email reminders and Google Calendar sync.
Pricing and fees
Choose from two categories of membership tiers: Website or Business and E-commerce. If you need a basic web presence for your business but aren’t planning on selling goods online, a Website membership might suffice. But if you’re looking for a dynamic online storefront that can integrate with third-party platforms, you’ll want to browse its Business and E-commerce plans.
Prices for Wix website hosting
Wix offers free web hosting with up to 500 MB in bandwidth and storage, but you won’t be able to choose your own domain. Instead, it’ll assign you a domain that looks like this: username.wixsite.com/siteaddress — and your site will display Wix ads. A more professional website will require a paid plan:
Includes all features of Combo — and:
Includes all features of Unlimited — and:
Includes all features of Pro — and:
Prices for Wix business and e-commerce
All of Wix’s business and e-commerce memberships come with unlimited bandwidth, Google Analytics and online payment ability. Connect an existing domain without Wix ads showing up on your site.
Includes all features of Business Basic — and:
Includes all features of Business Unlimited — and:
Includes all features of Business VIP — and:
How much technical experience do I need?
You only need basic computer skills to use Wix, though a more advanced understanding of SEO and Google Analytics come in handy as you grow your business down the road. Still, you can build a Wix website without any knowledge in coding, thanks to the ready-made templates and drag-and-drop customization option.
How do I contact Wix support?
Wix support is standing by 24/7, though there isn’t an email address or phone number publicly available.
When you need to contact Wix support, it sends you to a robo-chat interface where you’ll answer a few questions to determine next steps. If the robo chat determines that you need to get in touch with customer service, it gives you the option to submit a ticket online or request a callback.
What design options does it have?
Wix has hundreds of templates to choose from, in 16 categories, dozens of subcategories and a wide range of styles — whether you jive with a minimalist aesthetic or want something quirky. Browse through to see if there is a template to match your brand before signing up.
After you choose a template, Wix lets you customize it further by adding images, changing the color scheme and fonts, and rearranging elements using a drag-and-drop UX.
On Wix Marketplace, you can find and hire a Wix Partner — a freelance professional vetted by Wix. This is a unique service in the e-commerce provider biz, and can be especially helpful for small businesses who need design expertise but don’t have the budget to hire a full-time employee.
There are a wide range of services available on Wix Marketplace, including:
- Website design and development
- Classic or advanced site builds
- Coding guidance
- Site migration
- Marketing and promoting
- Ad setup
- Content writing
- Email marketing
- Graphic design
- Brand development
- Image editing
- Small tasks
- Install apps
- Connect domain
- Update site
- Online store
- Advanced store capabilities
- Store optimization
- Store settings
After you find a freelancer, request a quote and they’ll get back to you within one business day.
Pros and cons
Wix isn’t meant to be a platform for savvy coders to design a one-of-a-kind site from the ground up. Instead, it’s best for entrepreneurs and small businesses that need a low-maintenance way to establish a web presence.
Weigh the pros and cons before committing, including:
- Beginner-friendly user experience. Designing a website with Wix can actually be fun, even for newbies.
- Hundreds of apps and integrations. It offers a huge range of tools to enhance your site, and they don’t require much technical skill to use.
- No long-term contract. Pay month-to-month if you’d like, and cancel without incurring fees.
- Customer service can be hard to reach. If you don’t have VIP support, you’ll have to go through the robo chat to submit a help form or schedule a call, which can be frustrating and ineffective, especially for complicated issues.
- Difficult to export later on. You’ll run into technical challenges if you want to move your site away from Wix.
Wix reviews and complaints
As of October 2020, Wix has a 1.5 Bad rating on Trustpilot, compiled from more than 2,160 reviews. Many of the complaints are about poor customer service — users who submitted a form or requested a callback to customer service and didn’t get a response. There’s a similar sense of frustration in Better Business Bureau (BBB) reviews. Even though Wix is accredited by the BBB and has an A+ rating with the agency, more than 40 reviews add up to only one star.
In business chat forums around the web, there’s a general consensus that Wix can be a good tool for DIY website building, and for small businesses that don’t plan on scaling up any time soon. But more experienced web designers report its templates can be clunky and limiting, going so far as to instruct their clients to stay away from Wix altogether.
How do I sign up with Wix?
Go to the Wix website and click Get Started. Next, Wix will gather information about your employees and your experience building a website. It will help guide you to a membership plan that best meets your needs.
At the end of the short interview, choose if you want the Wix ADI to create a website for you, or if you’re ready to use a template to create your own website in Wix Editor.
What other products will I need?
With Wix, it’s possible to set up and run a fully functioning site without any outside products. If you need a payment processor to facilitate e-commerce transactions, sign up for Wix Payments for free — all you need is a business checking account to accept the money after each transaction.
- Good to know: Wix Payments charges 2.9% plus 0.3% per transaction for US sales, which is the same as PayPal.
Wix doesn’t offer fulfillment services, so if you want to outsource your shipping then you’ll need to pay for that separately.
What is Wix?
Wix is an online platform that allows you to quickly and easily create an interactive website. It caters to beginners right through to experts, with the choice of quality templates or self-editing features. Once your website has gone live, monitor its performance through analytics and SEO.
Compare merchant services providers
If you’re building a website for the first time or simply want an efficient way to broaden your online presence, Wix can be a great choice. However, if your business requires complex customization or you’re a passionate coder who thrives on total creative freedom, you may want to browse other e-commerce platforms.
Frequently asked questions
Can I edit my mobile site with Wix?
Yes, Wix has a mobile editor where you can fine-tune your site for smartphone users.
Can Wix Payments process returns?
Yes, you can process returns using Wix Payments, though it will take between three to five days.