Wisconsin moped laws & insurance requirements

Know the rules of the road for your motorcycle, moped or ATV

Last updated:

We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.

The Wisconsin DMV makes sure riders stay safe with its young rider helmet laws and license requirements for motorcycles and mopeds. Even young ATV riders need safety training and parental supervision to ride on open land. Despite the relaxed laws for low-powered vehicles, riders might consider coverage like personal injury protection (PIP) to protect from the unexpected.

Moped vs. motorcycle laws in Wisconsin

Wisconsin blends mopeds and scooters to the same category. To qualify as a moped in this state, your two-wheeled vehicle:

  • Can’t exceed 50 cc for automatic transmissions.
  • Can’t exceed 130 cc for manpowered mopeds that use bike pedals.
  • Must have a built-in engine.
  • Must have a fixed seat.

Wisconsin motorcycle laws

Because motorcycles have more freedom to roam and reach higher speeds, these bikes sometimes have higher requirements. There’s no age requirement for passengers, and helmets are not mandatory for riders older than 18. Other laws for operating these bikes on the road include:

  • Headlights on day and night
  • Motorcycle-specific license or learner’s permit
  • Riders under 18 complete rider safety training
  • Riders in training with a permit are required to wear a helmet
  • Eye protection required
  • Bike must have rearview mirror, turning signal and muffler
  • Passengers must have a seat and footrest

Wisconsin moped laws

Riders on mopeds and scooters follow different guidelines than motorcycles. For example, mopeds can’t carry passengers and don’t have to have headlights on during the day. Other rules include:

  • Two mopeds can ride in the same lane on roads with speed limits less than 25 mph.
  • Must stay in the right lane, unless turning left.
  • Cannot ride on sidewalks, along fence lines or impede traffic or pedestrians.
  • Park mopeds in bike racks, on sidewalks or in spaces designated for cars.
  • Can use bicycle lanes if traffic signs allow.
  • Stay off freeways.
  • Must have title and registration.
  • Must obey all traffic laws.

Wisconsin ATV laws

ATV riders might have fewer age restrictions than the other vehicles in the state. But riders still have several requirements, including completing an approved safety course.

Requirements for those riding on public land:

  • Riders age 12 and over must take an ATV training course.
  • Riders should carry a Wisconsin ATV Safety Certificate.
  • All riders under age 18 must wear a helmet, unless:
    • Traveling for fishing or hunting and over age 12
    • Riding on private land owned by immediate family

Children under age 12 are still allowed to ride an ATV with a few restrictions. Along with completing the safety course and receiving a certificate, riders:

  • Must use a small ATV of 90 ccs or less
  • Need to wear a helmet
  • Must have supervision by a parent or legal guardian — not extended family, siblings or friends.
  • Must use an off-road ATV trail
  • Cannot follow or cross a road, even if it’s a designated ATV trail

Moped insurance in Wisconsin

Wisconsin requires minimum liability insurance for mopeds, similar to motorcycles. The key difference is that motorcycles also require uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.

For mopeds, liability includes:

  • $25,000 for bodily injury liability.
  • $50,000 for bodily injuries per accident.
  • $10,000 for property damage liability.

To fulfill that insurance requirement, you can compare motorcycle or scooter policies that also cover mopeds. Each insurer may classify mopeds under different policies, but just as long as you can fulfill state requirements.

License requirements for mopeds

Anyone can drive a moped in Wisconsin with a valid driver’s license. Riders can also opt for a special restricted license for moped use if they prefer. This requirement is less stringent than a motorcycle license — required to drive a motorcycle.

Helmet laws in Wisconsin

The state’s helmet laws differ based on the type of vehicle you ride. Mopeds don’t require a helmet at all, while motorcycles and ATVs require one if you’re younger than 18. Motorcycle riders with a learning permit should also wear a helmet.

Compare motorcycle insurance companies

Name Product Roadside assistance Accident forgiveness Available states
Progressive motorcycle insurance
Yes (earned after 3 years with no accidents and 4 years of loyalty)
All 50 states
Get protection for any kind of bike with this big-name provider. Enjoy discounts galore plus cheap rates and free perks designed for bikers.
Geico motorcycle insurance
All 50 states
This well-advertised insurer lives up to its reputation with discounts, low rates and no-fuss coverage for bikes.
Liberty Mutual motorcycle insurance
All 50 states
Get add-ons to cover bike replacement and accessories and get rewarded for safe riding.
Allstate motorcycle insurance
Included free
All 50 states
Choose the most comprehensive coverage for your bike and save up to 50% with Allstate's discounts.
Esurance motorcycle insurance
Included free
Esurance offers discounts and wide motorcycle coverage with tech-focused account management and 24/7 claims.
Farmers motorcycle insurance
Included free
Get personalized service, optional coverage packages and rewards for safe driving with Farmers motorcycle insurance.
The General motorcycle insurance
The General offers no-frills motorcycle insurance for drivers who have a hard time getting coverage elsewhere.

Compare up to 4 providers

Bottom line

Wisconsin keeps bike and ATV laws interesting with different requirements for each, including licensing, helmets and age requirements. Consider insurance providers that meet or exceed state requirements for the most protection on these open-air vehicles.

Frequently asked questions about Wisconsin moped coverage

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on finder.com:

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • finder.com is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder.com provides guides and information on a range of products and services. Because our content is not financial advice, we suggest talking with a professional before you make any decision.

By submitting your comment or question, you agree to our Privacy and Cookies Policy and Terms of Use.

Questions and responses on finder.com are not provided, paid for or otherwise endorsed by any bank or brand. These banks and brands are not responsible for ensuring that comments are answered or accurate.
Go to site