White Rose Credit Union signature loans review
Fast, unsecured personal loans for all credit types from this Pennsylvania credit union.
White Rose Credit Union only serves a tiny population: Adams and York County in Pennsylvania. But its signature loans go above and beyond what you might find at other credit unions, offering a quick turnaround time and simple online application. But with loans only as high as $20,000, it might not be ideal for large projects.
Max. Loan Amount
8.99% to 17.79%
What makes White Rose Credit Union signature loans unique?
White Rose Credit Union is surprisingly fast at processing loan applications — even compared to online lenders. The application typically takes only five to 10 minutes to complete, and if you start early enough in the day, you could have your funds as soon as the next business day. There’s minimal documentation, and you don’t need to become a member until you’re approved.
Like many other credit unions, its signature loans come with highly competitive rates and no origination fees.
What’s a White Rose Credit Union signature loan?
A White Rose Credit Union signature loan is an unsecured personal loan, meaning that it doesn’t require collateral. With a signature loan, you can borrow up to $20,000 with terms ranging from 1 year to 7 years. There’s no application or origination fee, and APRs start at 8.99% to 17.79% with a 0.25% autopay discount.Aside from your credit score, your loan term and amount determine your APR:
|Loan term||Loan amount||Starting APR with autopay|
|7 years–60 months||Any amount||8.99%|
Other White Rose Credit Union personal loans
Aside from signature loans, White Rose Credit Union also offers several types of secured loans, which require collateral. These include:
- Shared secure loans. This secured personal loan is backed by your White Rose Credit Union savings account or share certificate. It starts at 2.99% APR with autopay, and offers terms up to 120 months. Share certificate loans last the life of your CD, with APRs starting at your CD rate plus 1.75% — also including an autopay discount.
- Recreational loans. Get funds to buy a new or used boat, dirt bike or RV. Get up to 125% financing with terms up to 72 months and APRs starting at 4.24% with autopay.
What are the benefits of a White Rose Credit Union signature loan?
- Fast turnaround. You could get your funds as fast as the same day if you have good credit and apply early enough on a business day.
- Cosigners allowed. White Rose Credit Union allows borrowers to bring on someone else with good credit to help strengthen your application.
- Skip-a-payment promotion. You can apply to skip one month of payments per year with no penalty for a $25 application fee.
- All credit types welcome. You don’t need to have a certain credit score or credit history to qualify for a signature loan.
- Autopay discount. You can get 0.25% knocked off your APR by signing up for automatic payments from your checking account.
What to watch out for
- Limited availability. You can only join White Rose Credit Union if you live or work in Adams or York County in Pennsylvania.
- Cosigner might be required. If you have a limited credit history or poor credit, White Rose Credit Union might require you to apply with a cosigner.
- You need to become a member. While you don’t need to join before you apply, you’ll still need to go to a branch and open a savings account to qualify for a loan.
- Not the most competitive rates for good credit. While rates may cap on the low end, they start high compared to other personal loan providers — even with the autopay discount. If you have excellent credit, you may want to compare personal loans with the lowest interest rates.
Compare more personal loan providers
What do other customers say about White Rose Credit Union?
White Rose Credit Union gets mostly positive customer reviews online. It’s small enough that it doesn’t even have pages on the Better Business Bureau (BBB) website or Trustpilot as of September 2018. To get an idea of customer reviews, you’ll have to visit online forums and review sites like Yelp.
There, it does well. In fact, it makes Yelp’s list of the 10 Best Banks and Credit Unions in York, Pennsylvania — ranking sixth. Customers were particularly happy with the quality of customer service, with one saying it had helped their family become more financially healthy. Another said it was quick to resolve any issues that came up.
Am I eligible?
Like with many credit union personal loans, you need to be a member to be eligible for a White Rose signature loan. To become a member, you must do one of the following in York or Adams County, Pennsylvania:
- Go to school
- Own a business
While there is no credit score or income requirements, you might be required to apply with a cosigner.
How do I apply?
The application process is simple and only take s a few minutes. You can apply in person, online or over the phone by calling 888-755-9773. Here’s how to apply online:
- Go to the White Rose Credit Union website.
- Click Apply for a Loan.
- Scroll down and click the dropdown tab that says Personal.
- Under Signature Loans, click Get Started.
- Follow the directions to complete the online application.
- Wait for White Rose Credit Union to get back to you with a response.
If you have strong credit, you could hear back as soon as the same business day. Bad- or poor-credit borrowers will need to wait until its lending panel can review your application, but can get a decision as soon as the next morning.
If you aren’t already a member, you need to visit a branch in person to join before you can receive your funds. Joining involves opening up a savings account with $5 and paying a $1 membership fee.
How to apply step-by-step with screenshots
I got a signature loan. Now what?
Once you have your funds, it’s time to start repaying your loan. Double-check your loan documents to see how frequently your payments are due — it’s not always monthly. If you signed up for autopay during the application process for the 0.25% rate discount, White Rose Credit Union will deduct repayments from your checking account each time they’re due.
Think there’s something wrong with your account? Reach out to customer service over the phone or visit a local branch.
Rose Credit Union’s signature loans could be best for good- or fair-credit borrowers who work, live, attend school or worship in York or Adams County, Pennsylvania. With its quick turnaround time and strong customer service, it might be one of the easier credit unions out there to work with. However, it’s low loan amounts and relatively high starting APRs might have some with excellent credit looking elsewhere.
Want to learn more about other options? Visit our personal loans guide, where you can find out how White Rose Credit Union compares to other lenders.
Frequently asked questions
Image source: Shutterstock and whiterosecu.com