White Rose Credit Union signature loans review
Fast, unsecured personal loans for all credit types for residents of two Pennsylvania counties.
finder.com’s rating: 4.25 / 5.0
- Best for Pennsylvanians of all credit types living in York or Adams County.
- Pick something else if you need to borrow more than $20,000.
Max. Loan Amount
8.99% to 9.49%
Anna Serio is a trusted loans expert who's published more than 800 articles on Finder to help Americans strengthen their financial literacy. A former editor of a newspaper in Beirut, Anna writes about personal, student, business and car loans. Today, digital publications like CNBC, Business Insider and The Simple Dollar feature her professional commentary, and she earned an Expert Contributor in Finance badge from review site Best Company in 2020.
White Rose Credit Union personal loans are best for residents of York and Adams counties in Pennsylvania — you won’t qualify otherwise. It doesn’t have any hard-and-fast credit and income requirements, meaning you might be able to qualify even if you don’t have the strongest finances. And it offers the option to skip one payment a year for a $25 fee if you’re struggling.
But its loans max out at $20,000 — not ideal if you need to borrow a high amount. And it doesn’t have the most competitive starting rates compared to other lenders out there — especially if you choose a longer loan term. You also might have to apply with a cosigner if you can’t meet White Rose’s credit and income standards on your own — which it doesn’t disclose.
Don’t live in Pennsylvania? Compare your other options below.
First, am I eligible?
Like with many credit union personal loans, you need to be a member to be eligible for a White Rose signature loan. You must live, work, go to school, own a business or worship in York or Adams County, Pennsylvania to become a member.
While there are no hard-and-fast credit or income requirements, you may be asked to apply with a cosigner if you don’t meet White Rose’s standards on your own.
How much do White Rose Credit Union signature loans cost?
Aside from your credit score, your loan term and amount determine your APR. Here’s how it breaks down
|Loan term||Loan amount||Starting APR with autopay|
|1 to 5 years||Any amount||8.99%|
|5 to 6 years||$10,000+||10.49%|
|6 to 7 years||$15,000+||10.49%|
- Cosigners accepted
- Can skip one payment a year
- All credit types welcome
- Autopay APR discount of 0.25%
- Membership limited to two Pennsylvania counties
- Cosigner might be required
- You need to become a member before you can receive your funds
- Not the most competitive rates for good credit
What other personal loans does White Rose Credit Union offer?
Aside from signature loans, White Rose Credit Union also offers several types of secured loans, which require collateral. These include:
- Shared secure loans. This secured personal loan is backed by your White Rose Credit Union savings account or share certificate. It starts at 2.99% APR with autopay, and offers terms up to 120 months. Share certificate loans last the life of your CD, with APRs starting at your CD rate plus 1.75% — also including an autopay discount.
- Recreational loans. Get funds to buy a new or used boat, dirt bike or RV. Get up to 125% financing with terms up to 72 months and APRs starting at 4.24% with autopay.
Compare other personal loan providers
What do customers say about White Rose Credit Union?
|Customer reviews verified as of||26 December 2019|
To get an idea of others’ experience, you’ll have to visit online forums and review sites like Yelp. In fact, it makes Yelp’s list of the 10 Best Banks and Credit Unions in York, Pennsylvania — ranking sixth. Customers were particularly happy with the quality of customer service, with one saying it had helped their family become more financially healthy. Another said it was quick to resolve any issues that came up.
How do I apply?
- Go to the White Rose Credit Union website and select Signature Loans under its loan options.
- Sign in to your account or agree to join the credit union.
- Follow the directions to complete the online application.
- Review your application and sumbit.
- Wait for White Rose Credit Union to get back to you with a response.
You can also apply in person or over the phone by calling 888-755-9773
What information do I need to apply?
You will need to provide some basic information, including:
- Date of birth
- Credit Union account number
- Social Security number
- Driver’s license number
How to apply step-by-step with screenshots
What happens after I apply?
If you have strong credit, you could hear back as soon as the same business day. Poor-credit borrowers will need to wait until its lending panel can review your application, but you may get a decision as soon as the next morning.
If you aren’t already a member, you need to visit a branch in person to join before you can receive your funds. Joining involves opening up a savings account with $5 and paying a $1 membership fee.
How do repayments work with White Rose Credit Union?
Double-check your loan documents to see how frequently your payments are due — it’s not always monthly. If you signed up for autopay during the application process for the 0.25% rate discount, White Rose Credit Union will deduct repayments from your checking account each time they’re due. If you’re struggling to make a repayment, you can apply to skip one month of payments per year with no penalty for a $25 application fee.
Think there’s something wrong with your account? Reach out to customer service over the phone or visit a local branch.
Want to explore other options? Check out our guide to personal loans to see how White Rose Credit Union stacks up to the competition.
Frequently asked questions
Image source: Shutterstock and whiterosecu.com
Personal loan ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top personal loan providers and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: rates and fees, customer reviews, loan amounts, loan processing and borrower experience.