Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
10 places to buy Kentucky Derby dresses online in 2021
You're off to the races in playful, elegant styles to suit your next summer soirée.
The Kentucky Derby comes around every early May, when spectators trackside and barside watch prized ponies compete for the finish line. For us mere mortals, it’s all the excuse we need to dress up in a fancy frock and fascinator.
In its own league, racing fashion is refined, on point and polished. But it’s no longer so conventional — think bright and bubbly, inspired by spring.
Throw on a statement headpiece, like a fascinator from top online retailers, and you’re halfway there. But first, the dress.
A department store favorite offering a gorgeous variety of Derby-appropriate dresses.
One of the easiest retailers to shop online, use Nordstrom’s accessible mobile app to find a fancy frock, with simple returns if it’s not perfect.
What is acceptable racewear for the Derby?
- Dresses. To avoid overly short or tight, leave the thigh-skimming bandeau dress at home.
- Spring sandals or heels. Remember, you’ll be on your feet all day, so find a pair that’s comfortable.
- A fascinator or hat. Anything goes, from a dainty headband to a face full of lace, a flower in your hair or a bunch much larger.
- Clutches. Drop your everyday shoulder bag for a li’l something to hold onto.
What will leave the crowd clutching their pearls?
- Shoddy footwear. Avoid sneakers, sports shoes, track shoes, flip-flops or slippers.
- Unsuitable pants. Ditch jodhpurs, tracksuits, leather pants, leggings and untailored pants.
- Too much leg. Say no to shorts, miniskirts and short jumpsuits.
- Bare shoulders. Strapless dresses aren’t traditional Derby wear.
- Unkempt garments. Torn or ripped clothing are no-nos — even if you bought it that way.
- Midriffs. Though tasteful cropped tops are in vogue, proceed with caution.
- Casual jackets. Parkas, windbreakers, denim jackets and even tailored leather jackets could attract the wrong eyes.
- Denim anything. You can pull on your jeans when you’re safely back at home.
Top deals on dresses August 2021
Photo by Gene Devine on Unsplash
Ask an Expert