How does WellVia work?
WellVia is a telemedicine service that offers 24/7 appointments with US-based, board-certified doctors and mental health professionals. It caters to non-emergency medical needs, and patients typically connect to a physician within 10 minutes.
You can access WellVia through its site or app, and request a video or phone consultation. When you book an appointment, you’ll need to provide your basic medical history to help your doctor better understand your case.
Though it’s a fully virtual platform, WellVia charges a monthly or annual membership fee — as well as a flat fee per visit.
How long does an appointment last?
A typical medical appointment is 10 to 15 minutes, while visits with a psychologist or psychiatrist tend to last 45 minutes or more.
Can I choose my doctor?
Yes. When you request an appointment, you can choose a doctor from a list. The system will display each physician’s credentials, availability and languages spoken.
You can opt to see a doctor as soon as possible or schedule an appointment for the future.
The same goes for teletherapy appointments — you can choose the same doctor or a different one.
What conditions can WellVia treat?
WellVia has a narrow scope of service and focuses on basic medical care as well as behavioral health. It doesn’t offer specialist or chronic care.
- Acid reflux
- Bladder infection
- Cold and flu
- Digestive issues, such as diarrhea and constipation
- Ear infections
- Fungal infections
- High blood pressure
- Pink eye
- Sinus infections
- Thyroid conditions
- Bipolar disorder
- Child and adolescent issues
- Eating disorders
- Grief and loss
- LGBTQIA issues
- Life transitions
- Men’s issues
- Panic disorders
- Parenting issues
- Postpartum depression
- Relationship issues
- Trauma & PTSD
- Women’s issues
WellVia also offers psychiatric assessments and medication management.
Can my doctor prescribe medication?
Yes. Your doctor may prescribe medication and send it to a pharmacy of your choice.
However, WellVia doctors won’t prescribe non-therapeutic medications and drugs with a high potential for abuse or addiction. These include:
- Controlled substances, like ADHD medications and benzodiazepines
- Muscle relaxants
- Detox medications, like Suboxone and Methadone
- Erectile dysfunction medications
What doesn’t WellVia treat?
WellVia doctors can’t treat serious or life-threatening conditions. If you’re experiencing any of these emergencies, please call 911:
- Severe burns
- Sudden bleeding
- Suicidal thoughts
- Vomiting and coughing blood
What’s changed during COVID-19?
Not much, though WellVia has positioned its platform as a way to alleviate the pressure on healthcare facilities in the US.
Your doctor can:
- Assess your symptoms
- Advise you on next steps, such as self-quarantining or going to the emergency room
- Write temporary prescription refills for chronic conditions.
However, WellVia doctors can’t order diagnostic or antibody tests, treat COVID-19 with antiviral medication or provide notes that excuse patients from work or school.
Does health insurance cover the coronavirus?
How much does WellVia cost?
WellVia charges a membership fee of $5.95 a month, or $49.95 a year — which offers savings of $21.45.
You’ll also pay a flat fee each time you meet with a doctor, and the cost varies depending on the care you need.
- $225 for an initial consultation
- $99 for a follow-up consultation
Can I use my FSA or HSA to pay for my WellVia appointment?
Yes. You can pay for your appointment with your Flexible Savings Account (FSA) and Health Savings Account (HSA) debit card.
The platform also accepts all major credit cards.
Does WellVia accept insurance?
WellVia doesn’t accept insurance directly, so you’ll have to pay for services out of pocket. But you may be able to submit a claim to your insurance company and get reimbursed for all or part of the cost.
Can I use WellVia if I don’t have health insurance?
Yes. Since WellVia doesn’t work with health insurance companies directly, members don’t need to be insured.
Where is WellVia available?
WellVia is available in all states except Arkansas and Idaho. When you request an appointment, you’ll only be shown doctors who are licensed to practice in your state.
Pros and cons of WellVia
- 24/7 consultations. Doctors are available around-the-clock, with an average wait time of 10 minutes.
- No minimum commitment. You can cancel your membership at any time.
- Caters to non-native English speakers. WellVia has bilingual doctors and can provide an interpreter for therapy and psychiatric appointments.
- Membership includes family members. Your membership fee gives your spouse and children under 26 access to the service.
- Membership fee. WellVia charges a membership fee as well as a fee per visit, which is unusual for a telehealth platform.
- Narrow scope of service. WellVia offers general medical care and teletherapy, while competitors can connect patients to medical specialists such as dermatologists.
- Not nationwide. The service isn’t available to Arkansas or Idaho residents.
- Doesn’t accept insurance. Your insurance plan may cover your appointment, but you’ll need to submit a claim on your own.
Compare alternatives to WellVia
WellVia reviews and complaints
WellVia isn’t accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). It has a NR rating, which means the BBB hasn’t had enough complaints or requests for information to rate the service. There are no customer reviews or complaints on the site, and WellVia doesn’t have a presence on Trustpilot, either.
The platform has received positive press since its launch in 2015, but there isn’t much online in the way of consumer reviews.
How to sign up for WellVia
To become a member, you can call 855-935-5842 or register online.
These are the steps:
- Go to WellVia’s site.
- Choose Sign Up.
- Choose between a Monthly or Annual plan.
- Type in your full name and contact details, and create a password.
- Select your date of birth, gender and state.
- Enter your credit card information and check the box agreeing to the Terms & Conditions.
- Select Get WellVia.
Once your payment has been processed, you can book appointments online or via the iPhone or Android app.
Can I access WellVia through my employer?
Many employers offer a WellVia membership as part of their health benefits package. If your workplace participates, your employer will subsidize the fee.
You’ll also receive a link to activate your account, rather than having to go through the sign-up process above.
Frequently asked questions about WellVia
Do I need to make an appointment?
Yes, if you want to see a therapist or psychiatrist. But you can see a medical doctor on-demand or schedule an appointment in advance.
Will WellVia send a report of my visit to my primary care provider (PCP)?
Only for medical appointments. WellVia won’t share the notes from your appointment with a mental health professional.
When does WellVia collect payment?
You’ll be charged a membership fee upon sign-up and once every month after that if you opt for a monthly membership. For doctor’s visits, you’ll pay a flat fee once you confirm your appointment.
How can I contact WellVia?
A few ways to reach the patient care team are:
- Phone. Call 855-935-5842 at any time.
- Email. Send a message via the Contact Us page.
- Social. Contact the company via Facebook or Twitter.