Wells Fargo wire transfer review
Compare ExpressSend to standard wire transfers for your next transfer through Wells Fargo.
Wells Fargo’s ExpressSend lets you send money to a handful of Latin American and Asian countries through Wells Fargo’s network members. Transfer money directly to your recipient’s bank account or make it available for pickup at an agent location.
Min. Transfer Amount
Max. Transfer Amount
|Product Name||Wells Fargo Bank|
|Min. Transfer Amount||$25|
|Max. Transfer Amount||No limit|
|Transfer Methods||Online, Phone, Agent, Bank Account to Bank Account, Cash Transfer|
|Transfer Options||Regular payments, One off payments, Forward contracts|
Minimum transfer time
|Customer Service||Phone, Email, Branch|
|Available Currencies||COP, DOP, GTQ, HNL, INR, MXN, PHP, USD|
What's in this guide?
- How do I send a wire transfer through Wells Fargo?
- Wells Fargo ExpressSend vs. money transfer providers
- What are the transfer limits?
- Pros and cons of sending money with Wells Fargo
- How can I track my money transfer with Wells Fargo?
- Wells Fargo SWIFT/BIC information
- Bottom line
- Frequently asked questions
Wells Fargo wire transfer fees
Wells Fargo’s wire transfer fees depend on whether you’re sending a domestic or international wire transfer. These fees are different than the fees for ExpressSend, and you’ll need to send a wire transfer if Wells Fargo ExpressSend doesn’t support your destination.
|Domestic wire transfer||$30||$15|
|International wire transfer||Disclosed at time of transaction||$16|
Note: Wire transfer fees from August 2020 for Wells Fargo consumer accounts.
The exchange rate you will receive from Wells Fargo for your transaction varies according to the amount you send and where you’re sending it. Wells Fargo makes money off both transfer fees and converting US dollars to other currencies.
How do I send a wire transfer through Wells Fargo?
You can send money internationally and domestically through Wells Fargo. To send money domestically you’ll use Zelle, while international wire transfers through Wells Fargo can be done through the ExpressSend service.
The first time you use ExpressSend, you’ll need to set up the transaction at Wells Fargo branch or by phone. You can initiate subsequent transfers online, over the phone or at your local branch.
To get started, give the bank a call or drop in at your local branch to discuss your transfer requirements. You’ll then need to complete an ExpressSend Service Agreement, which includes:
- Your recipient’s name, address and phone number, along with the transfer network member to which your money should be sent.
- How you’d like your recipient to receive the money you send — either deposited directly into their bank account or made available for cash pickup.
Steps to transfer your money online
To use ExpressSend online, you need a Wells Fargo checking or savings account and an ExpressSend Service Agreement naming your recipient. If you don’t have either, you can open an account or sign an agreement at a bank branch or by phone. Unfortunately you can’t open an account online.
To review whether Wells Fargo sends to a particular country, follow the steps below.
How to use Zelle with Wells Fargo
Zelle is available via Wells Fargo’s mobile app and website. To transfer money domestically to other Zelle accounts, you need to:
- Log in and click on Transfer and Pay.
- Select Send Money with Zelle.
- Follow the onscreen steps to register yourself and select who you want to send money to.
Wells Fargo ExpressSend vs. money transfer providers
It’s free to sign up for the ExpressSend Service and there are no ongoing account fees or any charges that must be paid by your beneficiary. However, a transaction fee does apply to every transfer and the amount of this fee varies depending on where you are sending your money.
- Sending $1,000 to China may have a $7 transfer fee when using Wells Fargo ExpressSend.
- Sending the same amount to India may cost $5 when using Wells Fargo ExpressSend.
Use the Transfer Cost Estimator on the Wells Fargo website to calculate the fee that will apply to your transaction. In addition, this fee can be discounted if you open an eligible Wells Fargo checking account.
Must read: Who charges less?
Independent transfer services usually win out over banks when it comes to fees. There are several providers who will send a transfer for free with competitive exchange rates, including OFX and XE. Checking the prices of competitors can help you save money, so be sure to compare your options before sending with Wells Fargo.
How does Wells Fargo compare to other services?
Use our comparison calculator to assess transfer fees, exchange rates and other details for sending funds overseas with our money transfer partners.
What types of transfers can I make with Wells Fargo?
You have two options when it comes to sending money internationally with Wells Fargo:
- Wire transfer. Make one-time bank-to-bank transfers.
- ExpressSend. Make one-time transfers that can go directly to a bank account or be picked up in cash.
Wells Fargo offers cash pickup from a receiving institution and online transfer to a bank account with a receiving institution, depending on whether you use ExpressSend or not.
- The first transfer you send through ExpressSend must be completed at a branch or, for eligible customers, over the phone. Subsequent transactions can then be completed over the phone, online or in a branch.
Which countries can I send money to with Wells Fargo?
Popular destinations that Wells Fargo allows you to transfer funds through ExpressSend to include:
- El Salvador
- Dominican Republic
What are the transfer limits?
Wells Fargo allows you to send a minimum of $25 when using its ExpressSend feature. The daily maximum amount you can send is $5,000, and the maximum for a consecutive 30-day period is $12,500.
Daily limits will also vary among partnered network members, and range from $500–$5,000. Some network members also have monthly maximums and transaction limits. As an example, Bancomer in Mexico has the following limits:
- $500 per day for cash pickup
- $1,500 per day for credit to account
- $1,000 per calendar month for cash pickup
- $5,000 per 15 consecutive days and $10,000 per calendar month for credit to account
- Five transactions per seven consecutive days
- 15 transactions per 30 consecutive days
Pros and cons of sending money with Wells Fargo
- Trusted bank. With a long history and an extensive list of awards to its name, Wells Fargo is a name you can trust in banking and international transfers.
- Transfer options. You can lodge your international money transfer online, over the phone or by visiting a Wells Fargo branch.
- Low minimum. With a minimum transfer amount of $25, Wells Fargo’s ExpressSend Service is great for those who only want to send small amounts of money.
- Send from your bank account. Funds are sent from your eligible Wells Fargo checking or savings account, meaning it’s quick and easy to start sending international money transfers.
- Not worldwide. ExpressSend only transfers money to a handful of countries in Asia and Latin America.
- Not for business purposes. Wells Fargo’s ExpressSend service is not available for business payments.
How can I track my money transfer with Wells Fargo?
If you need to keep track of a transfer you can provide your transaction reference number to Wells Fargo or the receiving institution. Wells Fargo also offers phone and email customer service 24 hours a day, seven days a week, meaning that help is on hand whenever you need it.
- You can reach customer service for ExpressSend at any time by calling 800-556-0605.
Wells Fargo SWIFT/BIC information
|Bank name||SWIFT/BIC||Bank address||Recipient’s name||Recipient’s account number|
|Wells Fargo||WFBIUS6S||420 Montgomery Street, San Francisco, CA 94104||Beneficiary’s name as it appears on the bank statement||Complete bank account number|
How can I cancel my money transfer with Wells Fargo?
You must cancel any request within 30 minutes of completing it in order to get a full refund. Some transfers go through in less than 30 minutes, and won’t be available for refund if they’ve already been picked up or deposited.
Your two options to cancel a request are to either call Wells Fargo Global Remittance Services at 800-556-0605 or go online and follow these steps:
- Sign on to your Wells Fargo account.
- Navigate to the Transfer and Pay menu and select Send to Another Country.
- elect the History link of the Agreement you used.
- Select Cancel. If Cancel is unavailable, your 30-minute window has closed.
What is Wells Fargo?
With thousands of home mortgage offices across the US and 70 million customers globally, Wells Fargo is one of the world’s largest banks. Among its services is ExpressSend, which you can use to send money to Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean and Asia. Wells Fargo offers many other services:
- Bank accounts
- Loans and credit cards
- Investment and retirement accounts
- Business services
If you need to send an international money transfer to Asia or Latin America, the ExpressSend Service from Wells Fargo offers a simple and effective solution. However, you should make sure to compare the costs with other transfer providers to ensure that you get the fastest and most affordable service.