Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
How to increase your Wells Fargo credit limit
Use your card for at least six months before requesting a credit line increase.
A high credit limit is an integral part of your credit score and purchasing power. But you can only request a credit line increase after you’ve used your card responsibly for a minimum of six months. After that, you can see if you’re eligible to request a credit line increase.
How can I find out my Wells Fargo credit limit?
Access your online credit card account and check your credit limit in the account summary. If you rarely use your online account, look for your credit line on your monthly credit card statement.
How do I know if I am eligible for a credit limit increase?
Boost your chances of getting a credit line increase by having:
- A credit card account that’s at least six months old.
- An unsecured credit card.
- No changes to your credit limit in the last six months.
- On-time credit card balance payments each month.
But even if you meet the criteria, it’s not guaranteed you’ll get a credit line increase.
How to increase my Wells Fargo credit limit
You have three options to increase your Wells Fargo credit limit.
- Call the bank
- Get an automatic credit limit increase
- Apply for another card
Call the bank
If you’re eligible for a credit line increase, here’s what to do:
- Call Wells Fargo at 800-642-4720.
- Provide a reason for your request, such as higher income, upcoming expenses like a wedding, honeymoon or home renovations.
- Ask for a reasonable credit limit increase. If you don’t want to risk throwing in numbers, ask for the standard credit limit increase amount.
Get an automatic credit limit increase
Sometimes, you don’t have to ask Wells Fargo to get a credit line increase — they’ll do it on their own. But to get an automatic credit line increase, you must:
- Use your card regularly. Try to charge as many purchases as possible to your card to show you could use a higher credit limit.
- Use a higher amount of your credit line. Use more than half of your credit limit. It won’t make much sense if you use 10% and ask for an increase.
- Pay your full balance on time. Otherwise, Wells Fargo may be reluctant to approve a credit line increase.
Apply for another card
Aside from getting another line of credit, you can choose a card with a host of additional perks.
Compare high credit limit cards
All credit cards in the table below come with a higher credit line compared to other cards. However, there’s no guarantee you’ll get approved for a higher credit line because it depends on multiple factors, including your annual income, employment, creditworthiness and more.
How is my Wells Fargo credit limit determined?
Here are the things that impact the amount you can borrow:
- Income. It’s simple. You earn more, you spend more. With higher income, chances are you get a higher credit line.
- Creditworthiness. Prove to the bank you can manage debt and that you pay off your balance on time. High credit score and clean credit history will back you up.
- Relationship with Wells Fargo. Get rewarded with a higher credit limit if you’re loyal to the bank. Of course this isn’t guaranteed, but it can certainly help.
- The type of card you apply for. High-end credit cards tend to come with a high credit limit. For example, Visa Signature cards come with a minimum credit line of $5,000.
How often will Wells Fargo increase your credit limit?
Wells Fargo won’t increase your credit line before six months of card membership. After that, give it at least six months before you request another credit limit increase.
Get a credit limit increase on your Wells Fargo credit card with active and responsible credit card use. The only way to increase your credit line on your request is to call the bank. Alternatively, you can wait for Wells Fargo to increase your credit limit on their own.
But if you don’t want to wait for an automatic credit line increase or if you keep getting your request denied, consider applying for a new credit card.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Texas debt relief
Must-know regulations and fees in the Lone Star state.
Is MyPoints legit?
Here’s how many points it takes to nab that Amazon gift card.
Life insurance portability vs. conversion
Leaving your job doesn’t have to mean leaving your group life insurance behind.
Checking fees hit record high; here’s how to lower yours
New study reveals having the wrong checking account can be costly. Explore your options.
Military and veteran debt relief
Debt relief for VA loans, student loans and other types of debt service members face.
Purchase items you need over six months with no interest or fees, but be aware of the drawbacks. Zebit allows financing through its credit line for purchases made on its site.
Is Swagbucks legit?
Here’s how much you can earn using Swagbucks.
How do Ace Hardware rewards work?
Handy folks near and far can earn points when they sign up for Ace Rewards — but only at participating locations.
How much does pet insurance cost for cats?
Discover insurance costs for your cat’s specific breed, based on the 40 breeds we analyzed.
Airweave mattress brand review
Learn more about an eco-friendly, customizable mattress backed by research. See trial and warranty information, shipping and more.
Ask an Expert