Launch an online storefront with its drag-and-drop website builder.
Weebly can help you launch an e-commerce website in less than a day, with a free plan, ready-made templates and a drag-and-drop design process. But it has a reputation online for poor customer service, and skilled developers will likely be frustrated with the aesthetic limitations.
It’s owned by Square — not Squarespace — so its e-commerce platform has a similar feel to Square Online Store.
- Choose Weebly if you prioritize efficiency and ease of design over an innovative layout.
- Consider something else if you’re hoping for a platform that gives you total creative freedom.
|Solutions||In-store, Mobile, E-commerce|
|Products||Website builder, Inventory tracking, Shopping cart software|
|Monthly fees start at||Free|
|Processing fees start at||None|
What's in this review?
- Weebly’s services
- Pricing and fees
- How much technical experience do I need?
- What design options does it have?
- Pros and cons
- Weebly reviews and complaints
- How do I sign up with Weebly?
- What other products do I need?
- What is Weebly?
- Compare merchant services providers
- Bottom line
- Frequently asked questions
Here’s what Weebly can help you do:
- Build a website
- Create and manage an online store
- Optimize SEO and market your biz
- Share photo galleries and videos
You can either build your Weebly website from your computer or a mobile device, as it’s compatible with both.
Pricing and fees
All Weebly sites come with SSL security, shopping cart functionality, an automatic tax calculator and the ability to offer coupons. You’ll also get access to tools for SEO and inventory management. If you sign up for a paid membership, you can choose whether to pay month-to-month or annually. Here’s what each tier includes:
|Cost||$0||From $6 monthly||From $12 monthly||From $26 monthly|
|Features||Same features as Free — and: ||Same features as Personal — and:||Same features as Professional — and: |
How much technical experience do I need?
You don’t need any technical experience to use Weebly, as it’s designed for universal appeal. In fact, it’s possible to launch an e-commerce site without knowing a lick of code. Drag-and-drop components to build and rearrange your site. For example, if you want a contact form on the webpage, select Include a contact form and Weebly will automatically add one, ready-made, to your site.
Post your questions and comments on the community board, and chat with other users. Overall, the platform is meant to be an approachable way for small business owners to build an online presence.
How do I contact Weebly support?
Weebly’s customer service team is available from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. PT Monday through Friday, and from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. You can contact them via:
- Live chat. Log into your account to send an IM.
- Support ticket. Submit a query through its help center, and it’ll get back to you via email.
You’ll also have access to phone support if you have a Professional or Performance account, though this number isn’t publicly available.
What design options does it have?
Weebly’s templates are clean and bold, with a focus on images. It has around 40 to choose from, and all are free with a Weebly account.
Its websites are based on the grid system, which means you’ll add elements in columns and rows. Overall, Weebly is less flexible than Wix, which offers a greater number of templates and more creative freedom.
Weebly’s templates are organized into the following categories:
- Online store
Pros and cons
While Weebly can be an efficient tool for first-time website builders, it isn’t suitable for every business.
- Free plan. Test out its basic features before making a financial commitment.
- Design your site on the Weebly app. Taking a break from your laptop? Its mobile app has a 4.5 out of 5-star rating on Google Play and a 4.6 out of 5-star rating in the Apple Store.
- Huge range of integration apps. It’s got over 350 to choose from, including tools for marketing, social media and communication.
- Design options are limited. Businesses that need a truly unique or specialized storefront should look elsewhere, as Weebly’s grid layout can feel confining.
- Poor customer service reviews. It has a negative reputation around the web in regard to its customer service team.
Weebly reviews and complaints
As of October 2020, Weebly has a 3.2 out of 5-star Average rating on Trustpilot, compiled from more than 500 reviews. Most complaints are about Weebly’s poor customer service and slow editing interface.
It isn’t accredited by the Better Business Bureau, and some people state that it took Weebly weeks or even months to resolve their issue. A total of 18 reviews all with similar complaints averaged to only 1 out of 5 stars.
On business chat forums around the web, the general consensus is that Weebly is a poor choice if you need a highly customized site or want to scale up in the future — but small business owners who need a simple, straightforward web presence seem to be happy with it.
One reviewer on Reddit noted that using Weebly is like “playing with a big Lego set,” because you stack and rearrange premade elements into your own unique design.
How do I sign up with Weebly?
Signing up with Weebly is free, and you don’t need to enter a credit card:
- Click Create Your Website.
- Enter your first and last name, email, password and select your country.
- Indicate whether you need a website or an online store.
From there, it walks you through a customized approach to setting up your Weebly site, based on your level of experience in the e-commerce space.
What other products do I need?
You’ll need to choose a payment processing provider when setting up an e-commerce site with Weebly. Stripe, PayPal and Square all integrate with its platform. You don’t need to pay any money to sign up with these providers, but you will have to pay a fee for every transaction.
You’ll also need a business checking account to receive the money you make from your Weebly site.
What is Weebly?
Weebly is a web hosting platform founded in 2006. It was acquired by Square in 2018, and aims to be a platform that’s easy for anyone to use. Today, it claims to host over 50 million sites.
Compare merchant services providers
Consider Weebly if you like the idea of a ready-made website design that you can rearrange and customize according to the text and images you want on the page. But if you’re hoping for a more customizable platform, or simply want to work with a host that has a positive customer service reputation, browse other e-commerce platforms.