Have the wedding of your dreams, your way. finder.com can help you find what you need.
How we express love and commitment towards each other, and for what reasons, is as complex and layered as culture and society itself. The wedding ceremony, of course, reflects the rhythm of social change, and today, wedding traditions are as varied, diverse and colorful as we are. Did you know that:
- In anglo-saxon culture, brides would wear blue as a symbol of purity. Queen Victoria started the trend of a white wedding dress when she insisted on wearing the color for her own wedding to Prince Albert. By comparison, in Eastern cultures, white is a symbol of mourning and wedding dresses tend to be brightly colored.
- The modern-day bouquet evolved from an early Roman wedding practice that had brides carrying bunches of herbs and garlic to ward off evil spirits and symbolize fertility and fidelity.
- The veil was used to symbolized a bride’s virginity and youth, and to protect her against the evil eye.
Nowadays, the choice of the kind of wedding you have is less dictated by social expectations and more by how you both choose to say, ‘I love you’.
Great ideas for your wedding
Linea Donatella Satin The Bride Wrap from Macy's
The perfect wrap for your favorite bride-to-be. The Bride Wrap by Linea Donatella features contrasting light blue trim with the word "bride" embroidered across the back.View details
ASOS Wedding Skinny Suit In Gray from ASOS
Stand out in the crowd with this slim fitting suit, perfect for summer weddings and formal events.View details
With that in mind, sifting through the seemingly endless options for your wedding day can seem a daunting task. Time is money, and weddings are expensive. Below are some tips to help make your special day.
Before you do anything, take a deep breath, and start from the very beginning.
- Have an idea of what kind of budget you are working with and try to stick to it. Talk to each other about what you will spend on and what you are happy to spare on. Make use of sales and deals, and don’t just assume that you will need to pay for everything. For instance, instead of hiring one, a photographer friend may be happy to record the day for you.
- Pick a date and work backwards from there. If you have an idea of where you would like to end up, you can better categorize and break down the jobs into manageable pieces.
- Ask for help. Whether it’s a wedding or events planner you enlist to help you tackle some of the bigger jobs, or just some friends who are happy to help out, don’t hesitate to call in the cavalry. It can really help take the pressure off if you are not alone.
- Relax – it’s supposed to be fun. If you are relaxed and having fun, your guests will, too.
The all-important checklist: a planner’s best friend.
What goes on your checklist will, of course, depend very much on the kind of wedding you are throwing. Whether you are a miles-of-lace-and-pomp kind of couple, or just want a simple celebration for the sake of a good party, there are a few considerations and a couple of set expenses to expect.
- The celebrant
- Regardless of whether it’s a secular or religious affair, this one’s non-negotiable.
- The guest list should be one of your first considerations because it will dictate much of your other choices, including the size of the venue. Beautiful invitations are a good way to set the theme for the wedding, too.
- The venue
- Indoor? Outdoor? Large or small? Traditional or modern?
- Well-chosen music and entertainment will make your wedding fun and memorable for your guests.
- The bridal gown and groom’s suit, as well as the dresses and suits for your wedding party, shouldn’t be left to the last minute.
- Food and drink can also be chosen depending on the time of year, or the time of day.
- Photographer or videographer: it could be a friend or a professional, but who you get to record your big day is important no matter the wedding style. This is because your wedding photos will be what you look back on for the rest of your lives.
- Logistics and transportation are easy to forget yet essentially important to remember.
- Your honeymoon is your reward after a big day, a chance to escape with just the two of you. So make sure you give it the attention it deserves.
Must-haves for your wedding
Once you have decided on the style and theme of your wedding, got your budget and schedule under control, and know how many guests will be attending, it’s time to go shopping.
- If you are buying your wedding rings together, or have decided to shop for the engagement rings after your engagement, why not exercise your creative streak and design them yourself. Personally customized wedding rings are a popular choice for modern newlyweds.
- Get made-up by your girlfriends in private, save money, and get to keep the loot after the day has passed. Explore the largest range of hair straighteners, skincare lines, makeup, and hair products at discounted prices with Macy’s coupon codes.
- Flowers can really set the tone of the wedding or, if you are keeping it low-key, it’s a great way to add understated glamour. Find the best deals for flowers and floral arrangements with Amazon or 1800-Flowers.
If you are doing a gift registry, it really pays to think carefully about what would be useful for both of you once you start your married lives together. Classic choices like home appliances, furniture and bedding, and for the great-aunt with questionable taste, a little subtle steering in the right direction never went astray.
How to make the most from your budget
The size of your wedding budget of obviously a very personal decision. If this is the day you have been dreaming of since you were a child, it’s natural to want no expense to be spared. Maybe you have a huge family for whom a big wedding is really important, or you have a lot of friends to accommodate. Maybe you both want to save your funds for the days to come after the wedding. In any case, it’s a good idea to be aware of where you can save because once you consider everything, it can get pretty expensive.
Did you know?
It is possible to take out a loan for your wedding. Or, if you’re still at the “ready-to-propose” stage, check out how to pick the right loan for buying an engagement ring.
Think about what’s important to you both. Simple things like cutting down the guest list, communicating with your vendors about your budget, or asking friends to chip in and help out with some of the responsibilities can go a long way.
Why finder.com is your ultimate wedding planner
On one hand, the literally endless number of choices can seem intimidating, and on the other, we are blessed with finely tuned search engines to hold our hands and make the never ending list, making and editing seem a more manageable task.
finder.com has taken the liberty of negotiating the best deals for you, and compiling reviews from other shoppers. The up-to-date, relevant information is intended to make to the experience of choice less complicated and more satisfying.
- Just follow the links to make use of the promo codes to save money on a huge selection of products and services worldwide.
- Take advantage of free shipping offered by many retailers.
- You can plan and purchase when and where it’s convenient for you, on the bus, late at night, with a face mask on, or with one eye on the TV.
For high-energy, time-poor people in today’s world, taking the reigns of your own wedding becomes less stressful, more personal, and more fun way to plan your big day. We guarantee that we are less demanding than your future mother-in-law.