Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Can I send money over WeChat?
What started as an IM service now lets you pay for anything from your dry-cleaning bill to your groceries.
Updated . What changed?
What's in this guide?
- What is WeChat?
- Can I use WeChat Wallet in the US?
- How do I request and send money with WeChat Wallet?
- What happens when someone sends me money?
- Are there restrictions for sending money with WeChat?
- Is sending money over WeChat Wallet safe?
- Are there other ways I can send money overseas?
- Compare other services that send money within the US
What is WeChat?
WeChat — locally known as 微信 or Weixin — is a social media app that’s become one of the most widely used in China. Because it’s governed by China’s strong censorship laws and messaging interception rules, the government can potentially review your messages and other data at any time. Given this, it’s no surprise that WeChat hasn’t yet caught on internationally.
Can I use WeChat Wallet in the US?
Only if you own a bank account in China, Hong Kong, Malaysia or South Africa. It’s the only way to use WeChat Wallet in the US.
WeChat Pay launched at the start of 2018, allowing tourists, expats and international students to pay at select stores in the States. See if your local grocery store participates by looking for the WeChat logo.
How do I request and send money with WeChat Wallet?
What happens when someone sends me money?
The money you’re sent on WeChat is automatically transferred into your WeChat Wallet — meaning you don’t accept or deny payment. Review your balance to manage how much money is in your WeChat account.
Are there restrictions for sending money with WeChat?
Yes. WeChat is not legally allowed to process international money transfers. Be aware that only wallets specific to the areas supported by WeChat — China, Hong Kong, Malaysia and South Africa — can send accessible money among one another.
Keep in mind that if you’re trying to send money from your wallet in China to someone in South Africa, WeChat will send the money, but now your recipient in South Africa will also have a Chinese wallet. Unless the user from South Africa heads to China, they can’t access the money.
Is sending money over WeChat Wallet safe?
WeChat encrypts your personal information, financial details and monetary transactions. However, WeChat doesn’t provide much information on other digital safeguards.
Because WeChat Wallet is based in China, it isn’t required to comply with American security standards. The Chinese government also monitors all social media devices, including WeChat. So it’s may be safe from hackers, but your transaction isn’t private.
- Free service. Unlike PayPal, which makes money by skimming a percentage of your transaction amount, WeChat’s developer Tencent makes money selling other products. WeChat Wallet is another way for Tencent to sell its products, but the service is free to use.
- Limited service area. To use WeChat Wallet, your account must be registered in mainland China, South Africa or Hong Kong.
- Potential for government prying. WeChat is governed by China’s laws that allow the government to monitor your messages and personal info.
- No specified delivery. WeChat doesn’t advertise how long it takes for transfers to complete, which means you may need to look elsewhere for emergencies.
Compare other services that send money within the US
More guides on Finder
3 VPNs you can use to access TikTok and WeChat
How to access TikTok or WeChat after they are removed from Apple and Google app stores.
What is DeFi? Beginner’s guide to decentralized finance
Confused about DeFi? Find out how it works in this easy-to-read guide.
PNC ‘S’ is for Savings review
A PNC kids account that uses Sesame Street to teach your child good money habits.
Venmo vs. PayPal
Looking to send money? See which of these two options works better for you.
How do we pick the top money transfer services?
Our top picks are our selection of the best money transfer services, based on our extensive research and market experience. Here’s how we choose them.
Sending money internationally during the coronavirus pandemic
Learn about how COVID-19 may affect the ways you transfer cash around the world.
11+ apps like Uber you can use today
On-demand rideshare booking apps that savvy commuters can compare.
Can I add my USAA credit card to Apple Pay?
Pay with your Apple device at participating locations.
Review: TransferMate for your international business transfer
TransferMate can help your business send money across the globe. Read our review to find out about exchange rates, fees and safety.
Banks you can use Apple Pay with
Check if your bank offers Apple Pay and learn how to set up and use the digital wallet for contactless payments.
Ask an Expert