What is reseller hosting?
Reseller hosting is when hosting resources are purchased from web hosting companies and then resold as individual hosting plans under your own business name. This allows you to start your own web hosting business or add web hosting services to your existing web agency or web design company.
Who can use reseller hosting?
Anyone who wants to host their own clients or start their own web hosting company can use reseller hosting services. Those who most often use reseller hosting are:
- Web agencies
- Web designers
- Development firms
- Companies that need to host multiple website accounts
Compare reseller hosting services
How reseller hosting works
Think of reseller hosting like buying a house and renting the rooms out to different tenants. With reseller hosting you purchase certain resources such as disk space and bandwidth from a web hosting company and then resell those resources to your clients.
With reseller hosting you become the web hosting provider for your clients, and all web hosting services fall under your business. Your clients will not know that you are a reseller and will not have access to the “parent” hosting company.
Here’s an example: If you’re a web designer who sets clients up on their own hosting plans with other web hosting companies, you could consider adding hosting services to your business with a reseller hosting plan. This will allow you to provide direct customer service to your clients and increase your revenue.
How much does reseller hosting cost?
Reseller hosting plans start at around $10 per year. The cost of your reseller plan will depend on how many clients you plan to resell to and how many resources each client needs. Most web hosts will allow you to scale up your reseller hosting plan as your client base grows.
Pros and cons
- Expand your business. Reseller hosting enables you to sell web hosting plans under your own name. This means you can add valuable web hosting services to your existing business.
- Profitable. You can earn more revenue from your business by using reseller hosting. In many cases, reseller hosting can be quite lucrative.
- Low maintenance. You won’t have to worry about maintaining your server. Your web hosting parent company will be responsible for covering all server upkeep and fixing any damages.
- Flexibility. You can design your own hosting plans, tailoring them to suit the needs of your business and clients.
- Customization. Reseller hosting allows you to make cPanels, or control panels, customize themes and configure each account to satisfy each of your clients.
- Limited use. Reseller hosting is only useful for those who want to start web hosting businesses. Reseller hosting is not for you if you want to host your own website.
- Inflexibility. It can be difficult to change web hosting companies once you have created and established hosting plans with your clients. With reseller hosting it’s extremely important to choose a web hosting company that will allow your reseller plan to grow with your business.
- Server access. If anything goes wrong with your server, you will have to rely on your web hosting company to fix the problem. However, you will be the face of customer support to your clients. You may lose clients if there is a lot of server downtime, even if it’s not under your control.
- Competition. As you have probably noticed, competition in web hosting is high. You should make sure you can offer something unique or beneficial to your clients before you buy a reseller hosting plan.
How to compare reseller hosting plans
To have a successful reseller hosting business, you’ll want to offer your clients the best web hosting services possible. Look for the following eight features when choosing a reseller hosting plan:
- Easy-to-use cPanel
- 24/7 customer support
- Uptime guarantee as close to 100% as possible
- Fully managed services
- The ability to scale up your plan
- Regular backups
- Security features
- Up-to-date hardware
How do I become a web hosting reseller?
- Research web hosting companies and choose the best web host for you.
- Buy a reseller hosting plan that suits the needs of your business.
- Design your own hosting plans or packages.
- Set the prices of your web hosting services.
- Begin marketing and selling hosting plans to your clients.
- Earn profit from your new web hosting business.
- Watch your business grow and continue to build your client base.
If you want to start your own web hosting company without having to own and maintain your own servers, you should consider reseller hosting. Reseller hosting plans can be extremely cost-effective and a useful way to earn more. But if you don’t want to handle clients and are only looking for a service that can host your site, compare your web hosting options.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
29 LGBTQ-owned businesses to support today and every day
Because being a true ally means putting your money where your mouth is.
Cost of pets
How much do pets actually cost? We’ve crunched the numbers.
Second stimulus business grants for live venues
Grants of up to $10 million for businesses that rely on ticket sales.
Best online survey tools
Get valuable insights into your customers and take advantage of a range of customizable features with an online survey tool.
Finder Editorial Review Board Member: Marguerita M. Cheng, CFP
An award-winning advocate for ethical financial planning, Cheng has been helping Americans meet their life goals for over 20 years.
12 green brands that plant trees with every purchase
Branch out by supporting these socially responsible businesses.
A young investor’s *very* detailed plan to achieve FIRE by 45
He walks us through his exact strategy of investing through rental real estate, the stock market and a 401(k) plan.
Sanvello therapy app review 2021
Learn about the pros, cons and costs of this CBT app for anxiety and depression.
Is Swagbucks legit?
Here’s how much you can earn using Swagbucks.
Shopify vs. Amazon
Comparing Shopify and Amazon? Here’s how these platforms measure up.