HostMonster web hosting review
Take a test drive with an online demo before committing to your web hosting package.
HostMonster web hosting provider claims to offer a reliable, high-powered service with maximum uptime. To help you understand the features they offer, you will find an online “live” demo and 24/7 customer service by phone or live chat.
HostMonster pricing and plan options
|Plan||Prices starting at|
|Reseller hosting||Reseller plans not available|
|Cloud hosting||Cloud plans not available|
|WordPress hosting||WordPress plans not available|
|Windows hosting||Windows plans not available|
What types of web hosting plans are available?
HostMonster offers three different types of web hosting: shared, VPS and dedicated. Shared hosting plans are the most popular as they are suitable for most small businesses, personal blogs and low-traffic websites.
If your website grows too big for the starter plans, or if you want more out of your hosting, your account is scalable with VPS or dedicated hosting.
Shared web hosting
- Three plans are available: Basic, Plus and Prime.
- Prices for its Basic plan start at $4.95 per month.
- All plans include a free website builder, 24/7 technical support, free domain name and at least five email accounts.
- Additional services such as SpamExperts and Site Backup Pro are available for an additional monthly fee with Basic and Plus plans. They are included in the Prime plan.
- Four plans are available: Standard, Enhanced, Premium and Ultimate.
- At the time of writing, prices start at US$19.99 per month.
- Free domain name for all plans.
- Cloud technology provides options for scalability.
- Three plans are available: Standard, Enhanced and Premium.
- At the time of writing, prices start at US$79.99 per month.
- 4 cores, 8 threads Intel® Xeon Processor are included in all plans.
- Enhanced cPanel gives you more control of your server.
What hosting types does HostMonster not offer?
HostMonster doesn’t offer reseller, cloud, Windows or WordPress web-hosting services.
What content management systems (CMS) does HostMonster support?
- Tiki Wiki
Pros and cons
- Free domain name
- Scalable plans to accommodate website growth
- 24/7 customer support including live chat
- One-click WordPress install
- Three-year initial payment needed to get lowest rate
- Limited storage, email, databases and number of websites
- Any security beyond basic backups will cost extra
- Windows servers are not available
Compare web hosting services
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
How to open a HostMonster account
- Register a domain name. You can register a new domain name with HostMonster or transfer one you already own. All HostMonster plans provide a free domain name in the form of a one-year registration coupon, though it’s not refundable and you’ll have to pay it back if you cancel your account. If you’re moving an existing website over to HostMonster, you can transfer up to five websites and 20 email accounts.
- Sign up for a plan. Make sure to consider your website’s needs to avoid paying for useless features. To get the best deal, you’ll have to agree to a three-year commitment. HostMonster offers a number of add-ons such as optional domain privacy, Site Backup Pro, Search Engine Jumpstart and SiteLock security for additional monthly fees. Regardless of the plan you select, your purchase is backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Set up your new website. To easily create your website, HostMonster offers more than 100 open-source apps, plug-ins and themes that you can install at the click of a button. This includes WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, Zen Cart, Cube Cart, Dada Mail and more.
With a live demo feature, you can try out HostMonster services and know what you’re getting for your website before you sign up for a hosting plan. However, if you’re not fully sold, compare other web hosting services.