1&1 IONOS web hosting review
Find shared, WordPress, dedicated and VPS plans for scalable websites.
IONOS is a web hosting provider that offers a range of hosting services, products and guides for individuals and businesses of all sizes. Serving over 15 million people worldwide, IONOS can offer site-building templates for novices and a range of customization options for those with more specific needs.
IONOS pricing and plan options
|Plan||Prices starting at|
|Reseller hosting||Reseller plans not available|
|Cloud hosting||Cloud plans not available|
What types of web hosting plans are available?
- Three plans available are Essential, Business and Expert
- All plans include 24/7 customer support, a free domain name for 12 months and an SSL certificate.
- Easily scalable plans, some with features such as unlimited storage and unlimited websites.
- Four plans are available: VPS M, VPS L, VPS XL and VPS XXL.
- All servers allow for unlimited traffic and come with an SSL certificate.
- Storage, RAM and CPU allowances increase with higher level plans.
- Three plans are available: One, Advanced and Agency.
- Managed WordPress hosting allows for simple website design and development, and specialized support.
- Higher priced plans come with increased storage capacity and protection.
- Four SSD and HDD packages available.
- Users can choose from a large number of RAM sizes, ranging from 16GB through to 192GB.
- All plans come with an SSL certificate and 24/7 support.
What web hosting types does IONOS not offer?
IONOS does not offer reseller or cloud web-hosting services.
What content management systems does IONOS support?
IONOS provides a website-building tool featuring designs and templates called IONOS MyWebsite. It allows you to download and install any CMS you choose onto the web server.
Pros and cons
- Large range of web hosting services with multiple server options.
- Scalable plans to accommodate website growth.
- Ready-to-use templates available.
- 24/7 in-house tech support.
- No reseller or cloud web-hosting services.
- Shared hosting has limited processing capabilities.
- Best advertised prices are only for the first 12 months.
- Domain prices rise after the first 12 months.
Compare web hosting services
How to open a IONOS account
- Claim a domain. Follow the prompts at signup to transfer an existing domain or to create a new one. Prices will vary depending on which web hosting option you choose.
- Choose a plan. After researching which option best suits your needs, select a hosting plan. Keep in mind that the listed prices are often for the first 12 months only.
- Decide on extras. Extra features such as a ranking coach or Norton Security are available at checkout. Increased speeds and security measures vary across hosting types. You can add many features over time as your site grows.
- Set up your website. Time to design your website. IONOS offers ready-to-use templates or personal customization with 24/7 tech support if you need assistance.
Look at other web hosting services if you had cloud or reseller hosting in mind. But if it’s an affordable web host your after, try out IONOS and take advantage of their discounted subscriptions prices for the first month to see if you like the service.