Wayfair Credit Card Review
This card lacks the flexibility and perks to be a contender.
- Get this card if you’re a regular Wayfair shopper and you can’t qualify for the Wayfair Mastercard®.
- Pick something else if you want a credit card to use on purchases outside of Wayfair.
- Apply with a fair credit score of 580 or higher.
Finder has independently collected all the information about this card.
Up to 5%
Purchase APR (variable)
Steven Dashiell is a writer at Finder specializing in all things credit cards. With more than 300 articles under his belt, he aims to help readers embrace credit cards and maximize their rewards. Steve is studying to become a Certified Educator in Personal Finance, and is a frequent face on Finder’s YouTube channel, offering the latest in credit card hacks and advice. His expertise has been featured on numerous outlets, including U.S. News & World Report, Time, CBS, Fox Business, Lifehacker, Martha Stewart Living and more.
Citi’s Wayfair Credit Card is the lower-tier version of the Wayfair Mastercard®, also provided by Citi. Like the Wayfair Mastercard®, choose one of two reward types when applying for the card: 5% back in rewards at Wayfair or no-interest financing for up to 24 months when you pay in full. Unlike the Wayfair Mastercard®, however, you have no other reward opportunities, as the card is closed-loop, meaning you can only use it at Wayfair.com and associated online retailers. The card otherwise possesses the same features as the Wayfair Mastercard®: a $40 off your first qualifying order of more than $250 when you choose 5% rewards, and no annual fee with a variable APR of 26.99%.
The higher-tier Wayfair Mastercard® proved a solid enough card but lacked the additional perks and features that make a store card worth having. Unfortunately, the Wayfair Credit Card loses even more value on account of its closed-loop nature. This severely limits your ability to build reward points and makes it tough to see appreciable returns on your card use.
Given the lack of flexibility this card offers, you may simply want to walk away if you apply and only qualify for the Wayfair Credit Card. There are plenty of general rewards cards out there that offer better value on a wider variety of purchases.
How to apply for the Wayfair Credit Card
You can’t directly apply for the Wayfair Credit Card. Instead, Wayfair will review your information and put you in the running for either the Wayfair Mastercard® or Wayfair Credit Card, depending on your credit qualifications.
- Go to the Wayfair website.
- Select the Hamburger sidebar icon and choose Wayfair Credit Card.
- Hit Apply now.
- Enter the requested information and select Submit.
What credit score do I need to apply for the Wayfair Credit Card?
As the lower-tier version of the Wayfair Mastercard®, you can apply for this card with a fair credit score 580 or higher.
Wayfair Credit Card benefits
- Choose your reward structure. Choose to earn 5% back in Reward Dollars on Wayfair.com purchases and online retailers under the Wayfair umbrella, including Joss and Main, AllModern, Birch Lane and Perigold. Alternatively, choose to have no interest financing on select purchases for up to 24 months when you pay in full.
- Possible welcome offer. If you choose 5% back for your reward structure, you can get $40 off your qualifying first order of $250 or more.
- No annual fee. You won’t pay an annual fee to use this card.
Wayfair Credit Card drawbacks
- Closed-loop. You can only use the Wayfair Credit Card at Wayfair.com and related retailers.
- No intro APR. While the card offers an interest free payment option, you have to give up the 5% rewards rate on Wayfair purchases to use it.
- No interest financing is deferred interest. If you don’t pay your no-interest balance off within the allotted time limit, that purchase will accrue interest from the date of purchase.
- High APR. The Wayfair Credit Card comes with a higher-than-average APR of 26.99%. This is much higher than the industry average APR of 16%.
- Few perks. You won’t find any additional Wayfair perks attached to this card, such as free shipping or purchase protection.
Compare other store credit cards
Wayfair Credit Card customer reviews and complaints
As of May 2021, Citibank is not accredited with the Better Business Bureau and currently sports an F rating from the bureau. Customers rate the bank a 1.04 out of 5, with many complaining about collections issues and problems with products as advertised.
Citibank received a 1.4 out of 5 rating from customer reviews on Trustpilot as of May 2021, with poor customer service a frequent complaint.
The Wayfair Credit Card is simply too limited to recommend for most consumers, including frequent Wayfair shoppers. Unfortunately, you can’t directly apply for the Wayfair Mastercard®, but if you apply with a good credit score you’ll avoid getting saddled with the Wayfair Credit Card.
If you want to earn rewards in more diverse categories, check out your rewards credit card options to find one that suits your spending preferences.