Wawanesa rental insurance review
Offers low deductibles and prices, but only to renters in California and Oregon.
- Get a quote if a low deductible is important to you.
- Pick something else if for discounts for bundling your rental and car insurance.
- California renters will love the limited earthquake coverage option.
- Low deductible
- High customer ratings
- Earthquake coverage
- Online application
- Limited availability
- No bundling discount
|New home discount discount||No|
|New homeowner discount||No|
|Home safety features discount||Yes|
|New policy discount||No|
|No claims discount||No|
|Other discounts||Gated community discount|
|Personal property coverage||Yes|
|Valuable personal property||Yes|
|Identity theft coverage||No|
Heather Petty is a personal finance writer at Finder specializing in home loans, banking and insurance. After falling victim to a disreputable mortgage broker when buying her first home, she’s on a mission to help readers avoid similar experiences when managing their own finances. A self-proclaimed word nerd, her writing has been featured on MSN, Credit.com and MediaFeed.org, among others. Heather previously worked as a technical writer and editor for the casino systems industry and is an internationally published young adult mystery author. She holds a bachelor’s degree in English with a minor in journalism from the University of Nevada, Reno.
Wawanesa’s basic rental insurance is pretty standard fare, but the add-on coverage options, especially for earthquake coverage, online applications and other perks make this a solid option for California and Oregon residents.
If you want a company that offers discounts for bundling your renters and auto policies, shop around and compare other renters insurance companies that might be a better fit for you.
What rental insurance coverage does Wawanesa offer?
Renters insurance from Wawanesa includes coverage for loss or damage to your personal belongings, personal liability with medical payments to third parties and loss of use expense if your rental becomes unlivable. Optional add-on coverage includes:
- Added financial loss protection for forgery or theft
- Increased coverage limits
- Some coverage for earthquakes for California residents
- Valuable personal property
What rental insurance discounts can I get?
Wawanesa offers the following discounts on renters insurance:
- Gated community discount. If you live in a neighborhood or building with a passcode entry, you could get 2% off your premium —or 5% with a 24-hour security guard.
- Protection device discount. Get up to 10% off your basic premium for having a combination of fire alarms, dead bolts and burglar alarms.
Pros and cons of Wawanesa rental insurance
- Low deductible. It’s deductibles don’t go higher than $500.
- Earthquake coverage. California residents can choose to purchase this add-on, which offers limited actual cash value coverage on your dwelling, low-limit personal property and living expenses coverage and a high deductible.
- Online applications. Avoid applying through an agent or representative with its fully online application process — a perk offered by larger, more established providers.
- Limited availability. Renters insurance is only available in California and Oregon.
- No bundling discount. Where most companies offer significant discounts for bundling auto and home policies, Wawanesa doesn’t reward that kind of loyalty.
- Low customer ratings. Wawanesa has been accredited by the Better Business Bureau since 1975 and has an A+ rating as of January 2020. But the company has low customer ratings across review sites, which seem to center around the slowness of customer service responses.
How to apply for Wawanesa rental insurance
Call customer service at 800-640-2920, or use the following steps to get an online rental insurance quote:
- Go to the Wawanesa website.
- From the home page, click Get a quote and select Renters quote.
- Enter your ZIP code and click Get your quote.
- Fill out details of your personal information and click Next.
- Answer some questions about your home and discounts click Next.
- Review the details of your renters insurance quote. To purchase the policy, select I accept to allow a credit check and click Buy policy.
- Review the details of your policy, and set up payment.
What info do I need to apply for rental insurance with Wawanesa?
You need to have the following information available before applying for a quote:
- Antitheft and fire protection details
- Construction style of the home
- Base house information, such as number of stories and rooms
- Proximity of the closest fire station and hydrant
- Slope of the property
- Area information, such as nearest brush area, recent evacuation or earth movement incidents
- Home features, such as a fireplace, pool, trampoline, skate ramp or spa
- Pet information