Streamline laundry duty.
A washer dryer combo can make doing laundry easier and less time-consuming. By combining a washer and dryer into the one machine, these space-saving appliances allow you to clean your clothes and dry them in a single cycle.
Compare some of the best washer dryer combos
|Washing capacity (cu. ft.)||Energy consumption (kWh/year)||Max spin speed (rpm)||Purchase|
|LG Signature All-in-One Smart Washer and Electric Ventless Dryer with WiFi||$2,900||2.8||120||1600||Order now at Home Depot|
|Whirlpool Cashmere Ventless Smart All-In-One Washer Dryer Combo||$1,500||2.8||180||1400||Order now at Home Depot|
|Magic Chef All-in-One Washer and Ventless Electric Dryer||$700||2.0||85||1120||Order now at Home Depot|
|Haier 8-Cycle Compact Washer and Dryer Combo||$990||2.0||65||1200||Order now at Home Depot|
|Splendide WD2100XC||$1,200||15 lbs||Not available||1200||Order now from Amazon|
What is a washer dryer combo?
A washer dryer combo is an all-in-one appliance that features a washing machine and dryer in a single unit. It’s roughly the same size as an ordinary washer and usually includes the following:
- A front-load washing machine. Front-loaders open at the front and are generally more energy- and water-efficient than top-load machines.
- A condenser clothes dryer. Unlike vented dryers, which expel humid air into your laundry, condenser dryers work by extracting moisture from your clothes and then draining it down the sink via a hose. Most models also include a lint filter that you will need to clean regularly.
Some new models use a heat pump dryer rather than a condenser dryer. These are extremely energy-efficient and quicker than a condenser, but they’re also much more expensive.
Why should I consider a washer dryer combo?
There are several reasons why buying a washer dryer combo could be a smart decision:
- If you’ve got limited space. A washer dryer can perform the jobs that you would usually rely on two machines to do, so it can free up space in your laundry room. This makes them a practical solution for many apartments or any small home. In fact, washer dryer combos are one of many great space-saving ideas for small laundry rooms.
- If you want to spend less time doing laundry. Instead of loading a washing machine, washing your clothes and then unloading them into a separate dryer, combos allow you to wash and dry your clothes all in one cycle. This means you could start the machine before you go to bed and wake up to clean, dry clothes.
- If you want to save energy and water. Just like front-load washing machines, washer dryer combos are energy- and water-efficient, helping you save money.
- If you want to save money. While prices vary, the cost of buying a washer dryer combo may be less than buying two separate appliances.
Who shouldn’t consider a washer dryer combo?
Most washer dryer combos are best suited to small loads. So if you’re cleaning and drying clothes for a large family, this might not be the most practical choice.
Additionally, the washing capacity of a machine will always be greater than its drying capacity. So a machine with a 15lb washing capacity may only be able to dry 5–10lbs of clothes at a time. This means that you may need to take up to half of your load of washing out of the drum before setting the machine to dry, so drying large loads of sheets and towels may take a while.
What are my options?
If you’re shopping for a washer dryer combo, you’ll come across products from a host of major appliance manufacturers including:
How to compare washer dryer combos
When choosing a washer dryer combo, consider your budget and the performance, energy efficiency, water usage and size of the products available.
3 things to consider when buying a washer dryer combo
- Reliability risk. Because washer dryer combos are more complex than a run-of-the-mill washing machine, there may be a higher risk of something going wrong, and they might cost more to repair.
- Use as a standalone washer. You can run washing and drying cycles independently. This means you can use your washer dryer combo as a conventional washing machine and hang your clothes out to dry, opting only to use the dryer on rainy days.
- It takes time. If your machine features a condenser dryer, it’s not uncommon to have to wait three hours for clothes to dry. But drying times vary depending on the appliance you use, the cycle you select, the type of clothes and the size of the load.
A washer dryer combination can help to save time and money. The right model for you will depend on how many loads of laundry you generally do each week, your budget and the size of your laundry space. Compare a few options before picking the best fit.
How did we choose these products?
We considered factors such as the brand, type, size, price and overall features of each washer dryer combo to create our list of products. We also took into consideration our own online research.