Walmart2world money transfer review
Quickly send money from home or on the go
finder.com’s rating: 3.3 / 5.0
Speed: 5.0 / 5.0
Services: 3.0 / 5.0
User experience: 3.0 / 5.0
Fast, secure transfers to over 190 countries.
Min. Transfer Amount
Max. Transfer Amount
|Min. Transfer Amount||$0|
|Max. Transfer Amount||No limit|
|Transfer Methods||Online, Cash Transfer, International Money Order|
|Transfer Options||One off payments|
|Customer Service||Phone, Email, Branch|
Walmart partners with MoneyGram to allow customers to easily send money transfers abroad. You can use the Walmart app to send money straight from your phone in as little as 10 minutes, use the Walmart-MoneyGram partner website or go to an agent location.
What's in this guide?
- How much does it cost to send money with Walmart?
- What types of transfers can you carry out with Walmart?
- What is Walmart2World?
- Pros and cons of using Walmart
- How does Walmart compare to other services?
- How can you send money overseas with Walmart?
- How does Walmart Online protect my money?
- Bottom line
- Frequently asked questions about Walmart money transfers
How much does it cost to send money with Walmart?
The fees attached to your international money transfer will vary depending on where you send your money, the amount you send and your payment method.
For example, sending $1,000 from your credit card for pickup at an agent location in Mexico will attract a fee of $0.99. However, sending the same amount via the same method to the Philippines will incur a transfer fee of $7.99. Before you lodge your transaction, Walmart gives you the option of reviewing any fee that applies to your transfer so that you can be fully aware of how much it will cost.
You should also remember that a currency exchange rate may also apply to your transaction – for example, for converting US Dollars into Philippine Pesos. Walmart’s exchange rates are set by MoneyGram. These rates are updated regularly to reflect changing market conditions, so it’s always a good idea to compare the exchange rate available using this service with the rates offered by banks and other money transfer companies.
What types of transfers can you carry out with Walmart?
Walmart allows you to send transfers online or by visiting your nearest Walmart store. In-person transfers require cash. However, your transfer can be funded using any of the following methods when you send via the website or app:
- Credit card
- Debit card
- US checking account
- Walmart MoneyCard
Transfers sent to any Walmart store in the United States or Puerto Rico are typically ready for collection within 10 minutes. If you’re sending money to a MoneyGram location around the world, same-day transfers are usually offered.
Money sent directly to a bank account, debit card or SmartMoney or M-PESA mobile wallet account could be received in as little as one hour or up to a day later.
How can I track my money transfer with Walmart?
Track the progress of your transfer by logging onto your Walmart account online and viewing recent transactions you have lodged. Your recipient can check on a transfer if you provide them with a transaction reference number, which they can use at any MoneyGram location.
Walmart offers an online FAQ section where you may be able to find the solution to any questions that arise. However, money transfer customer assistance is provided by MoneyGram; you can get in touch with them via phone or email, and all email requests for help are responded to within 48 hours.
What is Walmart2World?
Walmart2World is a brand new international wire transfer service that offers flat fees and transfers in a matter of minutes to over 200 countries around the world. Powered by MoneyGram, the service launched in all of Walmart’s 4,700 US stores in April 2018, with a few main features that sets it apart from other wire transfer services out there.
- Flat fees. No matter where you are in the US and where you’re sending money to, you’ll pay the same low fees every time: $4 fee for transfers up to $50, $8 fee for transfers of $51 to $1,000 and $16 fee for transfers of $1,001 to $2,500.
- Delivery in minutes. Walmart2World will deliver funds in 10 minutes or less, no matter if you’re sending money to a MoneyGram location, an international bank account or a mobile wallet account. This is a sharp contrast to other international wire transfer services, which can take up to three days to get funds delivered to your recipient.
- Express service option. Using the Mobile Express Money Services function in the Walmart app on your smartphone or tablet, you can initiate your money transfer from the app. Then when you get to the store, you can fast-track through the Mobile Express Lane to seamlessly complete your transaction in no time. The app allows you to save your transfer details to help make future transactions easier and faster.
Pros and cons of using Walmart
- Agent network. You can pick up your cash at any Walmart store in the US or Puerto Rico, not to mention the more than 350,000 MoneyGram locations around the world.
- 190 countries. Send your money to more than 190 countries around the world.
- Fast transfers. Your cash can arrive at its destination in as little as 10 minutes.
- Unfavorable exchange rates. The exchange rates are set by MoneyGram and are often above the mid-market rate.
- Cash only at agent locations. You’ll have to be ready with cash if you go to a Walmart store or MoneyGram location to send money. Be sure to bring enough to cover the transfer fees, too.
How does Walmart compare to other services?
Case study: Roslyn’s experience
My husband and I moved to another state and needed cash to pay our movers. We couldn’t withdraw cash from a local bank or ATM until we’d set up our new bank account. And so my mother-in-law offered to send us money from her Walmart to ours. She was told the cap was $2,500 per person, so she sent $2,000 to me and $2,000 to my husband.
To pick up the money, we gave our IDs and transfer codes to the Walmart rep. The desk rep put in my husband’s name for the transfer assigned to me, and the system allowed it to go through, giving us the first $2,000. But when the rep put my name in for the transfer assigned to my husband, it showed that he’d already reached his limit and would be locked out for 24 hours.
The Walmart employees we spoke didn’t apologize or attempt to fix the issue, simply telling us to call MoneyGram. We then spent hours on the phone with MoneyGram and in line at Walmart customer service.
My mother-in-law then had to cancel and resend the transfer in person. Moneygram confirmed the transfer would go through over the phone, but we still weren’t able to pick up the money on our second trip to Walmart. We canceled the transfer, and my mother-in-law picked up her cash in person, totaling three trips to Walmart for her and two for us.
Because Walmart wouldn’t let us complete the second transfer, we had to make a cash advance on our credit card for the remaining cash we needed, for a higher fee but much lower stress.
How can you send money overseas with Walmart?
Sending money overseas with Walmart can be done by app, online or in-store.
Your recipient can access the funds in a couple of ways:
- Pick up the cash at any Walmart store in the US or Puerto Rico
- Pick up the cash at one of the 350,000 MoneyGram agent locations
- Bank account
- Debit card
- M-PESA mobile wallet
For in-store transfers:
Pop into your local Walmart or MoneyGram agent location. You’ll just need to provide the name and location of the person you’re sending funds to and hand over the cash to cover the amount you are sending and any transfer fees that apply. In most cases, cash is the only form of payment accepted when sending money from a Walmart store or MoneyGram agent location.
For online transactions:
- Go to walmart.moneygram.com.
- Select Start Sending Money. Enter in the recipient’s name and the country you’re sending the funds to and select the delivery method, then select Next.
- Enter the amount details. You can either enter the amount you want to send or the amount you want received. You can also select the currency.
- Select Get Total. Choose your payment method and select Next.
- Create an account. Use your email address or log into your existing account.
- Enter your payment details.
- Review your transaction details.
- Confirm and send.
To cancel an online transaction:
Simply log in and go to My Account, then navigate to Transaction History. You can cancel it on the Transaction Details page. Refunds generally show up in 3–10 business days.
How does Walmart Online protect my money?
Walmart strives to protect your banking information and to keep you safe from identity theft. As the world’s largest retailer, it’s able to safely transfer money to your friends and family in more than 190 countries.
- Secure connection. Verified by Symantec, Walmart’s site employs a system of physical and administrative security measures.
- Experience. For online money transfers, Walmart partners with MoneyGram, a licensed money transmitter that’s completed millions of transactions since 1940.
- Verification. For every transaction, you confirm your identity by entering the last four digits of your Social Security number.
- Accountability. Walmart is publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange.
How do I report suspicious activity to Walmart Online?
Walmart Online will never email you to confirm passwords, transaction details or personal information. If you are the recipient of an email from someone claiming to be Walmart Online, do not respond. If you’re wary about an email or phone call, call the Walmart MoneyGram hotline at 1-888-988-5726.
Walmart provides both phone and email support for questions regarding its money transfer service. You can call 1-800-689-8307 about a specific transaction, or 1-800-666-3947 if you have a general question.
Walmart offers a quick, secure and reliable solution when you need to send money overseas. However, you should always weigh the pros and cons of all your money transfer options before you decide on the best way to send your funds across international borders.