Waffle car insurance review
Wide protection with little to no exclusions, plus one of the easiest quote tools we’ve tested
Bottom line: Let its intuitive app or website walk you through buying one or more policies step by step. But its car insurance policy isn’t available as of April 2022.
|States served||All 50 states|
|New car protection||Info not available|
|Rideshare coverage||Info not available|
No info available
- Quotes multiple policies at once
- Wide coverage with few exclusions
- User-friendly quote tool with basic questions
- Explains your policy in plain language
- Live chat in the app
- Policies not available in every state
- Needs time for customer ratings
- App not for Android yet
- No phone support
|Anti-theft device discount||Info not available|
|Bundling discount||Info not available|
|Defensive driving discount||Info not available|
|Good student discount||Info not available|
|Loyalty discount||Info not available|
|Homeowner discount||Info not available|
|Military discount||Info not available|
|Safety device discount||Info not available|
|Special employment discount||Info not available|
|Usage-based discount||Info not available|
|Other discounts||Info not available|
Get the cheapest quotes on your auto insurance
Enter your ZIP code to see insurers near you.
Your information is secure.
How to get a free quote for Waffle insurance
Waffle’s user-friendly AI eases you through your insurance quote by asking for basic information. What the quoting process looks like:
- From Savvy’s homepage, tap Get started. Then, either log in or select Create an account.
- If you’re creating a new account, enter the verification code that Waffle sends to your email and choose Confirm.
- Enter your new login information and fill out a few basic personal details for your account. Tap Sign up.
- Review the insurance disclaimers and select I agree.
- Follow the prompts to choose the policies you’re interested in and answer any questions that could qualify you for preferred rates.
- Review the quote and coverage recommended for you.
- If you’d like, you can choose Customize to edit the policy or Coverage to read what the policy does and doesn’t cover.
- If you like your quote, hit Pay to enter your payment details and start your policy.
What info do I need to apply?
You typically need a few details about yourself, your car and any drivers to apply for a policy. Those details include:
- Basic personal info: Name, email, home address
- Types of insurance and coverage you need
- Your driving history
- Car make, model and year
- Additional drivers’ names and driving history
What makes Waffle stand out from other insurance companies?
We asked Waffle’s CEO and cofounder Quentin Coolen what makes Waffle shine among all the other insurance companies available. Coolen explains that Waffle does two things that nobody else does:
“First, we move away from the traditional and impersonal product-based experience to an individual experience designed by and for you. Gone are the days of having to go to different carriers for different products and getting commoditized products. At Waffle, we offer the “YOU” insurance — one insurance to protect you, everything and everyone you love.
“Second, our coverage is better! We only offer products that are designed to address the traditional pain points affecting the industry. For instance, you can buy life insurance on Waffle in just a few minutes with no medical exam. Or buy a travel policy that allows you to cancel your travel for any reason. Or a cyber coverage that protects virtually every aspect of your digital life — from identity theft to hacking to online bullying!”
What does Waffle hope to achieve with its products?
“Insurance today is siloed and messy. You have separate insurance for your car, home, health, and life products,” Coolen says.
“Waffle comes in and fills in those gaps, streamlining your insurance products in a comprehensive app. Today, Waffle is an agent with the best insurers in the business, offering products with limited to no exclusions.”
Pros and cons of Waffle insurance
Waffle’s online tools are designed with user-friendliness in mind. But its policies and app aren’t available to everyone.
- Get all your insurance quotes in one go. Waffle quotes multiple types of insurance at one time, using a short quote form.
- User-friendly website and app. Waffle’s quote tool walks you through buying insurance step by step, asking basic questions to make the process quick and painless.
- Offers coverage with few exclusions. We can’t speak to Waffle’s car insurance policy yet, but its other policies focus on as few exclusions as possible. Think life insurance with no medical exam and cancel-for-any-reason travel insurance.
- Transparent policies. The company lets you see what’s covered in plain language in its quote tool — “no burying exclusions in the fine print,” as Coolen puts it.
- Live chat in the app. Get your questions answered by chatting with a live rep conveniently in the app. You won’t have to endure a phone wait time, like you might with other insurance companies.
- Not all types of insurance available in every state. That said, each policy is available in a variety of states, and Waffle is working to roll out its policies across the US.
- Needs time to gain customer reviews. Since Waffle recently launched, you won’t find many reviews online.
- No phone support. With Waffle’s focus on its app and online features, not having phone support is expected. But it’s worth pointing out for those looking for this feature.
- App not available on Android yet. The Android version of the app is in the works. In the meantime, you can access Waffle without the app through the web.
What benefits and add-ons does Waffle insurance offer?
Along with its user-friendly app and quote tool, Waffle is slated to add features in 2021 that help make its insurance even more convenient for customers.
Waffle’s CEO Quentin Coolen tells Finder, “Later this year we are releasing a bunch of cool new features including a tool to automatically cancel your old, non-Waffle policies and a risk-mitigation engine that’ll give you cash back for taking measures that lower your risks.”
Waffle car insurance reviews and complaints
Waffle recently launched its service, so you won’t find many customer reviews or business ratings online. But Waffle’s auto insurance partner, Clearcover, receives a rating of 4 out of 5 stars from over 200 customers on Trustpilot.
Clearcover also holds an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau, showing that it handles complaints in a timely manner.
Alternatives to Waffle
Compare the coverage, features and cost of other companies to Waffle’s offerings. When you’re ready, tap Get quotes to see your customized rate.
What car insurance coverage can I get through Waffle?
Waffle hasn’t released its car insurance policy yet, but you can expect to see at least these types of coverage.
- Bodily injury liability. Protects you if you injure other drivers or passengers and helps pay legal expenses if they take you to court.
- Property damage liability. Pays to repair or replace other people’s property or belongings, like the other driver’s car if you cause the damage.
- Collision. Covers your own car’s repairs, or for another car when you’re responsible for an accident.
- Comprehensive. Kicks in for nearly any type of damage that’s not related to hitting another car, such as storm damage, vandalism or theft.
- Uninsured or underinsured motorist. Comes into play when another driver hits your car or injures you but doesn’t have enough insurance to pay for all your expenses.
- Personal injury protection. Helps you or your passengers pay for medical bills if you’re injured in an accident.
How do I contact Waffle?
Connect with Waffle online to ask questions about how its service works.
- Email. Send your message or questions to email@example.com.
- App. The Waffle app includes a handy chat feature to help you get your questions answered quickly.
How to make a claim through Waffle
Use your Waffle account to guide you to the right place for filing your claim.
- From Waffle’s home screen, choose Something bad happened.
- Enter the insurance policy that your situation falls under, like pet or renters insurance.
- Waffle directs you to the insurance company’s online claims tool or lets you know how to contact the company.
- Follow the prompts or steps to enter details about what happened.
Sarah George is a staff writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
If you’re looking to manage your car insurance online while getting wide coverage, Waffle might be the right fit for you ― once its car insurance policy rolls out. We’re impressed with its intuitive app and website — you simply create an account, tap the insurance policies you need and answer basic questions one by one. You can get multiple policies in minutes.
Waffle also helps you understand your policy, explaining your coverage in everyday language. You’ll boost the value of its service if you bundle policies, saving hours on filling out multiple insurance forms. Since the founders aren’t fans of exclusions or fine print, rest assured that you have wide protection for whatever you’re insuring with the company.
However, you can’t buy Waffle’s policies in every state, and you’ll need to use its website if you own an Android. For now, the app is only available in the Apple store.
And even though Waffle is technically a broker, it will only sell car insurance through its partner, Clearcover. If you’re curious about companies that Waffle doesn’t partner with, you’ll want to compare more car insurance companies on your own.