Connects high-risk drivers with an auto insurance provider to get the coverage they need.
- Get a quote if you’ve been turned down by multiple providers.
- Pick something else if you have a clean driving record and want a good rate.
- High-risk drivers will like the personalized assistance.
|States served||Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming|
|Pay schedule||Depends on provider|
|Claims methods||Depends on provider|
|New car protection||Depends on provider|
- Solution for high-risk drivers
- Provides an SR-22
- A nonprofit organization
- Good drivers can find better rates
- No online quote
|Anti-theft device discount||Depends on provider|
|Bundling discount||Depends on provider|
|Defensive driving discount||Depends on provider|
|Good student discount||Depends on provider|
|Loyalty discount||Depends on provider|
|Homeowner discount||Depends on provider|
|Military discount||Depends on provider|
|Safety device discount||Depends on provider|
|Special employment discount||Depends on provider|
|Usage-based discount||Depends on provider|
|Other discounts||Depends on provider|
|Temporary & short term coverage||No|
What is the Western Association of Automobile Insurance Plans?
The Western Association of Automobile Insurance Plans are for drivers who struggle to get coverage with insurance providers. Rather than offering insurance directly, WAAIP is a nonprofit organization that connects people with providers. WAAIP caters to drivers who can’t get coverage from other providers due to a lapse in coverage, poor driving history, bad credit history or violations like a DUI or DWI.
WAAIP is a branch of Automobile Insurance Plan Service Office (AIPSO) that focuses on the western region of the US. Established in 1972, AIPSO has over 250 employees and six regional offices located throughout the country. It focuses on providing products and services to motorists left out of the auto insurance market because of underwriting restrictions.
Who is WAAIP best for?
WAAIP is best for high-risk drivers living in the Western US who are having difficulty getting car insurance through the voluntary market. Insurance companies consider you a high-risk driver if you’ve had multiple auto accidents or traffic violations, are a first-time driver, have poor credit, or have been convicted of a DUI.
Anyone who has a driver’s license and doesn’t owe money on previous auto insurance policies is eligible to apply for insurance through WAAIP. All you have to do is fill out an application and the Western Association of Automobile Insurance Plans will reach out and connect you with a provider.
Which states does WAAIP cover?
WAAIP is available in any of these 11 states in the West. For coverage in other states, contact AIPSO.
- New Mexico
What car insurance coverage does WAAIP offer?
Finding an auto insurance policy when you’re a high-risk driver isn’t impossible. WAAIP helps connect you with an auto insurance provider that likely offers the following types of coverage:
- Bodily injury and property damage. Protects you and other drivers if you cause an accident.
- Collision. Covers damage to your vehicle when you cause an accident.
- Comprehensive. Covers damage to your vehicle caused by anything other than a collision like fire, wind, hail, flood, theft or vandalism.
- Medical payments. Covers injuries to you or your passengers caused by an accident.
- Personal injury protection (PIP). Covers medical expenses for you and your passengers.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM). Covers medical expenses if you’re injured by a driver who doesn’t have enough insurance to pay for your damages.
- SR-22. Also known as a certificate of fiscal responsibility, it can provide an SR-22 for drivers who are required to have it.
WAAIP is just a processing center connecting people to insurance providers. Because of this, exact rates will vary based on the auto insurance provider you’re paired with. But because you’re considered a high-risk driver, you can expect higher rates, no matter your provider.
Pros and cons of WAAIP car insurance
- Solution for high-risk drivers. WAAIP knows finding auto insurance can be difficult for many, so its committed to helping drivers seen as high-risk.
- Provides an SR-22. If you need an SR-22, WAAIP can help you file one with your insurance company.
- A nonprofit organization. Because WAAIP doesn’t work off from commissions for a profit, you can rest assured that they’re working with your needs in mind.
- Good drivers can find better rates. If you’re someone with a clean driving record, you won’t find the best rates using WAAIP.
- No online quote. If you use WAAIP, you can’t shop around online for the best quotes. You fill out an application and wait for WAAIP to connect you with a provider.
What do customers say about WAAIP?
Because WAAIP is only the processing center that connect people with insurance companies, it’s difficult to find any complaints or reviews online. WAAIP isn’t registered with the Better Business Bureau.
The key to comparing online reviews will be to research the actual insurance provider. Once you’re matched with a provider, check out online reviews and talk with friends or family to find out what to expect from its customer support, claims and billing process.
How to apply
To get matched with a provider and get a free quote through the Western Association of Automobile Insurance Plans, you must live in one of the states it serves. Here’s how to get started.
- Visit a local auto insurance agent in your area that specializes in high-risk auto insurance.
- With the help of your local agent, go to the Western Association page on the AIPSO site.
- Click on your state to view plans available.
- Fill out the private passenger application form with the help of your local agent and mail in your application.
- Within a few weeks, WAAIP will reach out with either next steps for the application process or an auto insurance provider match.
What info do I need to apply?
To get a free quote, you’ll need your driver’s license, contact information and details on the vehicles you wish to insure. In some cases, you may also need to send in a copy of your driving record.
How to find a WAAIP agent near me
Visit the AIPSO website and click on Plan Sites in the top menu. Select your state to find contact information on your state’s processing center within the Western Association of Automobile Insurance Plans.
How to make a claim
Depending on the auto insurance provider you’re matched with, you may be able to make a claim by phone, email or online. Exact hours vary based on which auto insurance provider you’re connected with. Since WAAIP is just a processing center, contact the insurance provider to file a claim.
How to contact WAAIP
For questions surrounding your state’s plan, you can visit the AIPSO site to find your state plan contact information.
- Go to the AIPSO website and click Contact in the top menu.
- Scroll down the page and inside the Plan questions box, click View the locations page.
- Once on the locations page, click on the state where you live, and it will drop down to show the mailing address, email, phone and fax information.
What car insurance providers are similar to WAAIP?
If WAAIP doesn’t sound like it can meet your needs or you want to connect directly with an insurance provider that covers high-risk drivers, providers like Serenity Insurance, Geico and The General may be able to help. Most offer online quotes and can help you with an SR-22 if you need one.
Compare car insurance providers
Finding good insurance coverage when you’re considered a high-risk driver can be hard, but it doesn’t have to be. The Western Association of Automobile Insurance Plans connect motorists with providers who can get them the quality insurance coverage they need. Multiple providers and in-person support make managing your policy simple.
If WAAIP doesn’t sound like it caters to you or you want to shop directly, you can compare providers with our guide to car insurance.