Vola Finance pay advance app review
Borrow up to $300 — but membership fees aren't transparent.
- Best for monitoring your bank account and learning how to budget.
- Pick something else if you want to avoid membership fees.
As early as same business day
How does Vola Finance work?
Vola monitors your bank account and keeps an eye on your finances to help you budget expenses and save. When your account is below $35, it sends an alert — and you’ll be able to borrow an advance of up to $300 to prevent overdraft and nonsufficient funds (NSF) fees. Transfers are made as soon as you initiate them, making it easy to avoid fees.
- Maximum withdrawal: Up to $300
- Cost: Membership fee starts at $4.99
- Turnaround: One business day
Vola also uses a unique Vola Score to help show how well you’re managing your finances. It improves as you avoid NSF fees, increase your bank account balance and read Vola’s financial tips.
How repayments work with Vola Finance
Vola deducts repayments automatically from your bank account, but you can make a payment earlier without prepayment penalties. And if you know you won’t have the money to repay your advance, you can request an extension of up to 10 days.
Once you repay your advance, there is a cool-off period of five days before you can borrow again.
Compare Vola Finance to other pay advance apps
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
How much does it cost to use Vola Finance?
Vola charges a monthly membership fee to access advances — but the app itself is free to use. The most basic membership tier starts at $4.99, and Vola states that the average subscription charge is $7.99.
What are the pros and cons of Vola Finance?
- Advance amount not determined by previously worked hours
- Financial literacy tools
- Notifications when bank account balance is low
- Low maximum advance of $300
- Must sign in to bank account to view membership tiers and costs
- Average bank account balance of $150+ required
- Multiple reported problems with the app
Is Vola Finance safe to use?
However, Vola Finance doesn’t directly state how it keeps your bank account information secure. Connect with Vola Finance to ensure your information will be safe when you use its app.
Vola Finance reviews and complaints
|BBB customer complaints||5|
|AppStore score||2.9 out of 5 stars, based on 131 customer reviews|
|Google Play score||3.5 out of 5 stars, based on 410 customer reviews|
|Customer reviews verified as of||16 October 2020|
There aren’t many reviews for Vola Finance, but most of the recent ones are negative. Reviewers complain about problems with the app’s interface — many customers have problems setting up direct deposit from their bank, checking their membership and logging into their account. Customers also report issues with customer service, saying it took days or even weeks to get a response.
But the positive reviews are glowing. Customers say they are happy with how easy it is to borrow an advance and manage their expenses with the app.
Vola Finance app vs. payday loans
Vola Finance offers small interest-free loans with a membership — which may make it less expensive than borrowing multiple payday loans.
|Vola Finance||Payday loan|
|Maximum amount||Up to $300||Typically up to $500, and most states allow only one at a time|
|Turnaround time||One business day||Typically one business day|
|Application process||Download the app and connect your bank account info||Online application, typically requires Social Security number and bank account numbers|
|Costs||Starts at $4.99 per month||High interest rate that can equal fees of $15 to $25 per $100 borrowed|
|Availability||Nationwide||Prohibited in some states|
How do I use the app?
Follow these steps to get an advance by downloading the Vola Finance app through the App Store or Google Play.
- Click Sign up today.
- Select the App Store or Google Play download link and install the app.
- Open the app and click Create account. Enter your name, select your state of residence, enter your email and create a password. Hit Create account again.
- Verify your email by entering the 4-digit code sent to your email address.
- Enter your phone number and click Continue. Enter the verification code that’s texted to you.
- At this point, you have the option to create a profile to increase your Vola score or create a passcode to protect your account— or click Skip if you’d rather come back to this step later.
- Click Advance now to apply for an advance.
- Follow the directions to add your bank and complete your loan request.
Vola Finance eligibility requirements
Vola Finance supports over 6,000 banks and credit unions, but your bank account must meet a few requirements to qualify for an advance.
- 3+ months old
- Average balance over $150
- Shows income and deposits
- Shows some activity most days of the week
Should I use the Vola Finance app?
Vola Finance can help you manage your finances and keep your bank accounts in the positive, which makes it a handy tool if you’re just learning how to budget. But it’s a newer service and still has some issues with its app. Read our guide to pay advance apps to learn more about the process and compare your other options.